spooner

Why cod 4 was the last of the great games

Bit of a mixed topic with this one, firstly I am over DLC, and DLC that is already contained within the game but requires further money to unlock the content. I say Cod4 was the last great game, but what i really mean is, that to me it's the last game that i can remember that when the patches came out, it actually included the DLC and for free. It was fixed and content was added, for free. The game was also mod enabled and the community loved it. Yes, other games are and can be moded, but long gone are the days of free content from the developer.

These days its all about the mighty dollar, We are lucky if the developer even listens to the amount of nerd rage some of these games cause, COD BO was a mess on PC, RAGE was a dismal joke. THey rush to get a game to market and cash in on the release is destroying the games and the love we used to have for our developers. ID software, who changed gaming for ever, with DOOM, how many of us wanted that game and the next and the next, because they were great, great games and good development.

I blame Apple, well the concept that Apple introduced with APPS, and by that i mean i'll sell you a phone with some stuff on it, but noe enough to truly make it a worth while commitment and then you can add APPS to this and build it up at a cost, to make it the phone you should have been sold in the first place. The thing with APPS but, and yes some are free and some are worthwhile, but some are just useless and the scariest thing is that some are developed and then dropped. No further updates, no fixes for bugs, nothing, the money has been taken and the developer has either ridden off into the sunset or moved onto the next thing.

It seems now every thing is going this way, Windows 8 is another example of the pay to use model.

I don't want my gaming to be a pay to use model. As we all know we pay through the nose for our games, even on Steam, a digital distribution system with no geographical boundries we still pay more for the same product. I want to be able to purchase a game, a full game, im ok with $100 but i want the days of COD4 to return, I want my developer to support the community, fix the bugs, listen to the nerd rage, release new content and support their product.

This is what drives me to buy the next game from my developer, not the out right greed that is consuming the industry. And unfortuanetly i blame alot of society. It is us that are supporting this business model. We either have no concept of customer/supplier relationships or more money than sense.

I refuse to upgrade my PC because of this greed, driven by the pay to play model and the fact that almost all games, are developed on 10 year old consoles and ported back to PC. This makes sense i guess, because a PC user is going to go throwing a tantrum to mum and dad because they dont have the latest FPS/PLATFORM/RTS/RPG but missing the maps his friends have, multiplayer ability for an xtra $60 a year (i am looking at you Microsoft) and what ever else they need to play that $100 game they didnt quite get at the time of purchase.

Of course i havent touched on subscription based games like WOW, but WOW is a choice, you choose to play it knowing it's a pay to use game. But at least BLizzard patches there game, fixes bugs and adds new content, and of late you get even if your still palying the vanilla WOW client and avoided all the expansions.

I guess this ends my rant. how do the rest of you feel?

I feel you haven't been gaming long if you think COD4 was the last of the good games.

I feel it was the first of the worst games.

So what recent games have you bought where the patch introduced new content to the game, like a map or weapon etc?

So what recent games have you bought where the patch introduced new content to the game, like a map or weapon etc?

World of Tanks, and it's free. I do agree some parts of what you've said, just not that CoD 4 is it

I agree with Nobody, it was the last of the good CoD games. There are plenty of great games that have been released since, just as there were many great games that came before it.

I get your gripe with DLC though, it's often over priced and in most cases doesn't deliver the level of content that you used to expect with a genuine expansion pack.

G

World of Tanks, and it's free. I do agree some parts of what you've said, just not that CoD 4 is it

I just used COD4 as my example, because it's the last game i recall with free content in a patch

Why do you think that a patch should bring new content to the game?

Patches are to fix issues that have been found post release.

Are you still paying for the game on an ongoing basis? is it FOSS software that is being updated by very kind individuals?

Why do you believe that you should purchase a game and then have the developers continuously add more features with out paying for them?

If content is currently in the game and the developer want's you to pay to unlock it, then yes i have an issue with that.

If it is entirely new content, why should the developer give that away for free... it's very nice when they do but they have no obligation to someones sense of entitlement.

Why do you think that a patch should bring new content to the game?

Patches are to fix issues that have been found post release.

Are you still paying for the game on an ongoing basis? is it FOSS software that is being updated by very kind individuals?

Why do you believe that you should purchase a game and then have the developers continuously add more features with out paying for them?

If content is currently in the game and the developer want's you to pay to unlock it, then yes i have an issue with that.

If it is entirely new content, why should the developer give that away for free... it's very nice when they do but they have no obligation to someones sense of entitlement.

Because that's how the old business model used to work, thats what made you buy the next release from the studio.

So your entire reason is that the dev's used to be nice and give you free candy.

Sounds like it comes down to your over inflated sense of entitlement.

So your entire reason is that the dev's used to be nice and give you free candy.

Sounds like it comes down to your over inflated sense of entitlement.

Maybe it's my age and sense of value, or rather sense of whats worth my money and whats not.

Which again it comes down to choice to buy the DLC, which normally i avoid, because i cant support a developer who hasnt fixed up 90% of the bugs in Patches but would rather jam another DLC down the tube than fix a broken product.

But if you feel you are getting value for your hard earned money than that's good for you as a gamer. Me, not so much

Edited by spooner

Maybe it's my age and sense of entitlement that everyone my age has.

FIFY

I bought a car one time, then they bought out a new model with a better engine.

I did not complain that they should give me the better engine for free.

I also didn't complain when they did not throw in all of the optional extra's.

That's a bit presumptive isn't it?

He raised a legitimate point regarding the preference of some publishers to ignore problems in order to rush DLC, rather than properly polish their products for release. Not sure I draw all the same conclusions as the OP, but I do agree with that one.

I don't really rate your car argument, but hey, let's roll with it - I'm pretty sure you would expect your car manufacturer to repair defects under warranty or safety recalls.

G

Edited by grey g

FIFY

I think your just trollin mate, either that or you miss the point, and what does a car and a PC game have in common? but if you want to use obscure refrences, if the car you bought had faulty brakes and was recalled for repair (PATCHED) you'd want it done under warranty by the manufacturer. If howver you didnt get the bigger engine or bluetootth radio but you could buy it as a upgrade (DLC) than you make that choice. But if the Blue tooth or 6 of the 8 cyclinders were there but to (UNLOCK) them it would cost you $$, you'd be furious.

If your from my time period, the patches were a big thing to look forward to, because they did fix bugs, glitches and added more content, these days a patch can and sometimes does actually ruin a game that was partially working before hand, look at Skyrim

FIFY

New model, better engine != extra content. It would mean a new game. He's saying he would pay for the new game, provided he has trust in the developer that the new game will be worth paying for. That trust is gained by releasing games with content worth the money spent.

4-6 hour single player campaign is not worth paying $90+ for. Which is what you get these days, in comparison to the older games.

I get what he's saying, things like good lengthy SP campaign, replayability, etc... It's rare these days. There are still games out there that have done it well, Fallout series for example, the recent Dishonored was a great game and had great replayability thanks to the multiple ways you could tackle it, which is why I disagree with his COD4 opinion... But I think he's aiming his post more at the trendy MMS games (BF, COD, MOH etc.)

Games with short SP campaigns did exist 10+ years ago though. I remember Full Throttle on PC could be finished in under an hour, < 30 minutes if you knew what to do. Lol.

He raised a legitimate point regarding the preference of some publishers to ignore problems in order to rush DLC, rather than properly polish their products for release. Not sure I draw all the same conclusions as the OP, but I do agree with that one.

This i can understand, i'm more aiming at what i see as yet more demands for anything free after you have paid for an end product.

Patches exist to fix issue not add content unless it is being added to fix a specific fault.

New model, better engine != extra content. It would mean a new game. He's saying he would pay for the new game, provided he has trust in the developer that the new game will be worth paying for. That trust is gained by releasing games with content worth the money spent.

4-6 hour single player campaign is not worth paying $90+ for. Which is what you get these days, in comparison to the older games.

I get what he's saying, things like good lengthy SP campaign, replayability, etc... It's rare these days. There are still games out there that have done it well, Fallout series for example, the recent Dishonored was a great game and had great replayability thanks to the multiple ways you could tackle it, which is why I disagree with his COD4 opinion... But I think he's aiming his post more at the trendy MMS games (BF, COD, MOH etc.)

Games with short SP campaigns did exist 10+ years ago though. I remember Full Throttle on PC could be finished in under an hour, < 30 minutes if you knew what to do. Lol.

Fine insert any product you want... no reasonable person expects that after the final purchase of a product that you will receive additional benifits to that product.

If there is an issue yes, it should be fixed... but that is all.

As for the short SP campaign, you and I and anyone else that prefers the SP campaign to MP loses out because the majority want to play MP.

The money you are paying that would normal go towards a long SP campaign is for the servers and maintenance of those servers for the MP players.

witcher 1&2 both added a masive amount of content with free patches

long live CD Projekt RED!

Edited by Dasa

Brock got what i was getting at, I use COD because i like FPS, DASA used Witcher because he enjoys those games. But patches werent there to just fix the games, and if you believe that we pay for servers, think again, advertising pays for servers pure and simple, the recent games i play and yes BF3, COD 4, MW2, MW3 and BO added nothing to their patches, excpet COD4. And thats where it stopped, as soon as IW was taken over and money and corporate greed got in the way, the games became less about the IP and more about the money.

If you support the purchase of DLC, then your part of the problem, not part of the solution.

I'll bring it back to APPS, take for example Tiny Zoo, a game aimed squarley at children, you get a taste of that game but anything else costs real world money, Real world money spent on virtual items is and would have to be the biggest con in the history of cons.

Maybe i am a dying breed of older gamers who recalls a time that devlopers made and distributed the games because they wanted to and enjoyed the end product and were proud of what they had accomplished, the same people who would spend as much time on forums, listening to feed back from the consumer as they would playing there games and working on the next big thing.

To me DLC's are like mini expansions and Im happy to pay for them what is a couple of bucks?

At the end of the day, they don't force you to buy DLC packs and surely...I haven't come across any game where a DLC was really needed in order to progress further from the original game itself.

So what is the problem again?

Battlefield 2's 1.41 patch gave all players access to all DLC for free.

some of the dlc in mass effect was worth it some isnt

dlc implementation is often dodgy but not alwayse

To me DLC's are like mini expansions and Im happy to pay for them what is a couple of bucks?

At the end of the day, they don't force you to buy DLC packs and surely...I haven't come across any game where a DLC was really needed in order to progress further from the original game itself.

So what is the problem again?

so a few MP maps is an expansion?

This, in my opinion, sounds like you are very bad at shopping for games. Yes the market place is drowning in AAA titles that force you into paid DLC to keep up with the new content. However there is also quite a number of titles out there that have no such issue. For example i logged onto steam this morning and was pleasantly surprised to see one of my favorite games this year, a pc title by the name of Wargame: European Escalation release its 4th free DLC since release and that it is focused on the single player experience. So i'm just putting it out there that you may just be too pre-occupied in looking at all these AAA title games from big money spinning franchises that dont really offer anything new to gaming in general. Do some research, spend your money wisely i mean i have bought 6 games in the last 6 months and i game every day. Two of which where AAA titles, Diablo 3 and Guild wars 2, both of which where going to provide me my monies worth of gaming, the rest have been smaller cheaper indy titles like Torchlight 2, FTL, Drox operative ect.

I really do understand your frustration in this market place. Don't get on the hype bandwagon, shop around. Dont pre-order. Websites like Twitch tv are good as well for letting you see live game-play of what you may want to purchase. There is a lot of great stuff out there, it just takes a little more effort to find it. :) Good luck with your future gaming!

Today I checked my emails to discover Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion had just been patched with new maps, balances and fixes. So...

I do see what your saying but I only see them with the horrible games known as CoD and now the Battlefield franchise.

Battlefield 2's 1.41 patch gave all players access to all DLC for free.

Wait what? Okay I'm installing Battlefield 2 again and updating it. Never got to update it when I was playing online, bloody 12GB internet usage.

Perhaps my perception has been murky, it would seem some very good to great games have been sticking with the previous business model. Which is great. Perhaps i'll stear clear of the bigger titles. i know i wont be getting BO2.

Can anyone reccommend a good FPS, i bought Breach when that came out and the developers folded, or ran one of the 2. Which was a pity because the game had promise