Sign in to follow this  
the_pest_xxvi

Nokia 920

I've pre ordered the Nokia 920 from Telstra $65 "S" plan (Small plan)

Im excited! I've read a lots of reviews and mostly the comments are about the weight of the device which I don't really mind. I don't think it would be much different than my HTC Mozart with a case. Word on the street is that its the weight of a Iphone 4s with a case....so reviewers say its ok beacuse its an Apple device but when Nokia does it....its wrong?

Why are all the reviwers iSheeple. Distortion field much?

Any way check it out...Nokia 920 from Telstra

Reviews were more concerned about the lack of apps, and the lack of centralised notifications.

I think that will change quiet quickly though due to users with windows RT or a windows 8 computer being able to use the same applications. With a little time the windows marketplace is going to be very healthy.

FFS Cyber, how will a platform get apps if no one buys it?!

Also how many app's do you actually need, most apps I see people using could of easily just been web pages...

I would love a 920, but the lack of an SD card kills it for me, I still regret not buying a 64GB N9, 16 is far too limiting...

Also how many app's do you actually need, most apps I see people using could of easily just been web pages...

I would love a 920, but the lack of an SD card kills it for me, I still regret not buying a 64GB N9, 16 is far too limiting...

Let the fanboys and idiots buy them and waste their money, like what happened with Android. Then when it's at a level you like go for it.

What apps is windows phone currently missing that improve the usability of the device?

Telstra have locked up local supply of the 920 while Optus and Vodafail are stuck with the 820. A bit annoyed removing the back of 820 is tricky. it's so easy on me 7 Trophy.

Edited by Jeruselem

Pending the results of an in-store look-and-hold, definitely planning on a 920 for when my plan is up next year. I've never had an issue with WP7's lack of a notification centre, although I can see the advantages of having one. Nor have I ever had an issue finding an app to provide the functionality that I want, and this will only improve over time.

The only concern I have is that, as usual, we don't get cyan. I don't mind black, but cyan is where it's at baby!

.:Cyb3rGlitch:. - I'd say that dismissing people who find the OS quite adequate as it is as "fanboys and idiots [who] waste their money" is an unfair characterisation. It would be foolish to buy something because it might have a feature in the future. It's not stupid to buy something that serves your needs currently and for the foreseeable future.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:. - I'd say that dismissing people who find the OS quite adequate as it is as "fanboys and idiots [who] waste their money" is an unfair characterisation. It would be foolish to buy something because it might have a feature in the future. It's not stupid to buy something that serves your needs currently and for the foreseeable future.

I was referring to people who purchase devices in hope they eventually match the competition. If a device doesn't meet your expectations from the date of purchase, then you have to be a fool to buy it.

I was referring to people who purchase devices in hope they eventually match the competition. If a device doesn't meet your expectations from the date of purchase, then you have to be a fool to buy it.

That's not really how you put it. The implication of "like what happened with Android" is that anyone who buys a system before it's at the level you (or whoever is considering purchasing) like is a fanboy and/or idiot.

Anyway of course I agree with your above point - I didn't seriously consider trying WP7 until Mango came out.

Edited by thesorehead

Cyberglitch is writing from a personal experience.

He went out on a limb, tried Android but it wasn't what he hoped for.

I believe he revisited the OS hoping it had improved to what he desired, it hadn't.

The moral of the story is user expectation plays a big part in what works for you. If you expect one experience and find another sometimes that will taint your view and you won't be happy.

I went from S40 Symbian to Windows Phone 7.x. I know the Nokia did some things better I can't complain too much (other than Zune refusing sync one video to my phone)

Edited by Jeruselem

The 920 does look like one of the best of the new phones. And yeah the lack of SD card is my one major concern (besides potentially not liking WP8). However this device exists and I'm wondering if I could get it to work with WP8

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=21687

The other option for me looks like the Ativ S, but that's just a slightly different Galaxy S3 running WP8.

I'm also torn on carriers. I can get Telstra 4G all up in here which would be awesome. However my work is a Telstra blackspot - none or one bar inside the building and full bars as soon as you walk out the door, whereas as Optus is normal. No Optus 4G for hundreds of kms though.

Ativ S you say, haven't heard of that one. If it has the specs of a Samsung Galaxy S3 I will get that over the Samsung Galaxy S3 just for the simple fact from what I understand Windows Phone 8 has some interesting cross compatibility with Windows itself. I'm not sure about Windows 7 though hmm...

Edit: Wait no same specs as all the other Windows Phones, only a dual core...Sigh...Seems I'm stuck with the Samsung Galaxy S3 anyway as that is the highest speced phone Crazy Johns stocks =\ Would've liked the choice of the LG Nexus 4 as that tops the Galaxy S3 for specs besides the lack of microSD. Although access to the LG Nexus 4 is limited anyway.

Edited by TheSingularity

Ativ S you say, haven't heard of that one. If it has the specs of a Samsung Galaxy S3 I will get that over the Samsung Galaxy S3 just for the simple fact from what I understand Windows Phone 8 has some interesting cross compatibility with Windows itself. I'm not sure about Windows 7 though hmm...

Edit: Wait no same specs as all the other Windows Phones, only a dual core...Sigh...Seems I'm stuck with the Samsung Galaxy S3 anyway as that is the highest speced phone Crazy Johns stocks =\ Would've liked the choice of the LG Nexus 4 as that tops the Galaxy S3 for specs besides the lack of microSD. Although access to the LG Nexus 4 is limited anyway.

Why do you want a quad-core phone? Is it just about the e-peen? If that's a priority for you, Android is definitely where it's at! :D

But if it's about UX fluidity, my single-core WP7.5 devices easily match Android powerhouses with far greater raw specs. I imagine a dual-core WP8 device will continue that trend.

Edited by thesorehead