Zzozzach

Remote assistance options

I'm starting to get tired of long-winded telephone helpdesking with the In-Laws. Someone here once said they installed a remote assistance application on a family member's computer and they shortened help desk sessions considerably by simply logging in and watching behaviour as it occurred. Deciphering obscurities like "that little clicky thing" or "the funny picture that changes when you use it" is getting harder to do, so I'd like to try a similar setup.

I'm just curious what applications people use/have used. It's a Windows 7 Pro machine on a fairly fast ADSL connection.

My intial thought was VNC, but it's been years since I've had to look for anything and it appears there's several variants calling themselves 'VNC' now. Since it's Windows 7 on both ends there's also Windows Remote Assistance but I don't know how secure this is.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

I use teamviewer all the time for all of my mates and families help desk requirements of me. Its very simple to use, and due to randomized passwords on each use it helps promote the sense of security for the people on the other end as well.

It looks like TeamViewer has the most votes. I'll download and install the QuickSupport module on the In-Laws' computer and the full version on mine. I'll report back on how I go.

It looks like TeamViewer has the most votes. I'll download and install the QuickSupport module on the In-Laws' computer and the full version on mine. I'll report back on how I go.

QS does not need installing which is damn good., just needs running.

QS does not need installing which is damn good., just needs running.

Ooohhhh, hey...I like it! I'm posting this by remote control from my laptop that's using my iPhone as a modem. It was a very easy process, just run the QS module then use the credentials to connect from my laptop. 'Easy' is something that cannot be stressed enough when it comes to my In-Laws.

As it turns out, you can also run the full TeamViewer client without installation, too, but by installing you get to choose a few extra options that are nice.

I can see this being very useful.

Edited by Zzozzach

Ooohhhh, hey...I like it!

Ye actually used it the other day to hunt a software bug, with me as the client. A software dev in the UK wanted to see exactly what was going on so we did a TS session. He then ran through some debug options till the problem was found and bing bang bong a new version of the software is out fixing the issue.

We actually used notepad to communicate. He typed something, I replied, etc etc.

And the bug? A bit of old code still hanging on in the software that errors if your cd/dvd drive has a drive letter past H: of all things.

But it is a bit bloody weird sitting there watching your mouse zoom around without any input from me.