Sign in to follow this  
Periander

TS/RD Licensing

I'm kinda new to the whole licensing for terminal services. Does anyone know if you can transfer a Server 2008 (not R2) TS 5 CALs 'Open' license to Server 2012?

If I just go and buy a new 5 CALs pack, I can install that on any platform right, (including 2012)? Should be about ~$900 AUD right?

There's a 120 day amnesty so we'll probably go ahead with 2012 as it is, (downloaded via MSDN, just testing it out in a VM for now to see if it will suffice for our purposes, before putting down any money). We're a very small business but we like to keep abreast of the various OSes because we have to deal with clients that utilise them.

Posted Image

Edited by Periander

I'm kinda new to the whole licensing for terminal services. Does anyone know if you can transfer a Server 2008 (not R2) TS 5 CALs 'Open' license to Server 2012?

If I just go and buy a new 5 CALs pack, I can install that on any platform right, (including 2012)? Should be about ~$900 AUD right?

There's a 120 day amnesty so we'll probably go ahead with 2012 as it is, (downloaded via MSDN, just testing it out in a VM for now to see if it will suffice for our purposes, before putting down any money). We're a very small business but we like to keep abreast of the various OSes because we have to deal with clients that utilise them.

Posted Image

The licences we bought for 2003 could work on 2008 but were not supposed to.

Hopefully someone can advise you on this as i had an ass of a time tracking down the correct licences to actually use as they don't really advertise them clearly.

Make sure you shop around though as i found that the cost for a pack of 5 TS CAL's varied stupidly... like in the range of $500 either way of median.

Thanks Xen.

I tried to get it to take, but didn't have much luck; I actually don't know what the license code is for our 2008 ones, but I know that they're there somewhere, so that was a stumbling block.

It might be 'cheaper' to just buy 5 new ones than to spend days on it! I will check prices and ask around.

Of course, if anyone does know, please post or PM.

Edited by Periander