Sign in to follow this  
bigtye

(Dis)ability? and Gaming

Just came across this thread at BSN as I play ME 3 multiplayer and was pretty inspired when I thought about how challenging it must be:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effec...14939571-1.html

I realise there are things like the ocz headset (being adapted for driving a car btw) and such, but when it comes down to it, could you still play games if you suffered an injury? This guy plays with a stick in his mouth and a touch pad! But gaming seems like an area where really, the technology should be there to allow almost anyone the ability to engage and have fun.

It reminds me that playing a game is about enjoying the challenge of overcoming, it is not necessarily about "pwning" others or "dominating" etc. Sometimes just the satisfaction from having got there in the end and enjoying the sheer experience of being able to "play".

Anyway, have a 10 second read and a think and be thankful.

By the way, does anyone know others who play with extra physical challenges?

Tye

does being drunk count?

I can get myself pretty disabled at times......

Haha, doesn't quite match with playing with a stick in your mouth, but I know what you mean.

wow, that is impressive...

i'm a tetraplegic with virtually zero hand function. i type using a splint that holds one finger out straight and use a logitech trackman marble (which requires both hands for me to operate). i've found that there are almost no pc games out there that i can play and enjoy - obviously there are an armload of very boring turn based games, but anything real time is usually physically beyond me. i can manage c&c and also diablo 2, up to a certain point when i find that i need to use both keyboard and mouse simultaneously to continue effectively - which i can't do.

so, the fact that this guy has achieved that level of success with even less ability than i have makes me realise that i obviously don't try hard enough :o(

mind you, i find it frustrating that games never indicate anywhere on their packaging just exactly what's required to play them from a disability point of view - i would have to just buy the game and hope it can be played by mouse alone...

Edited by GTAV6

By the way, does anyone know others who play with extra physical challenges?

Tye

Well a dude I know has had several strokes so has some motor control issues. His physio got him on to playing RTS type games (Company of Heroes, Age of Empires and the like) to help "re-educate" his brain to work around the non-working bits.

Seems to have helped with his fine motor skills.

GTAV6, if you think you feel like you don't try hard enough to do well, how do you think I feel! lol. I have quit things so often because I couldn't quite master it or it got a bit hard, mate I feel like a down right soft c_ck.

I have never heard the catagory tetraplegic? Have to do some reading now. As to knowing whether you can play a game without buying it, I wonder if gaming review mags or websites could have a special comments section in the review looking at just what control scheme is necessary and what level of fine control needed for succcessful play? Maybe a suggestion for Atomic if we can show there are enough readers who have different requirements?

Aliali, the rehabilitive function of gaming is not something I had considered. Fine motor and visual acuity, plus also cognitive/neurological changes would be another facet, where gaming could not just be fun but of theraputic benefit.

Tye

edited, actually just came across ablegamers.com and also had another thought! What about the new VR headset that Carmack? is pushing! That would be awesome for people with some sort of physical restriction. I do apologise too if I use language or terms that are less than correct with reference to disability, it's not an area I am that familiar with, my mate who is a quad just calls himself a "wheelie".

Edited by bigtye

tertaplegic is the term used here in nz, most of the world still use the term quadraplegic; but essentially that's me - i broke four vertebrae in my neck (c5, 6, 7 & t1), completely severing the spinal column at c6, which resulted in me having absolutely nothing from my armpits down, no sensation or motor function.

i've often wished game reviewers could include a comment or two on potential physical difficulties in mastering a game, but never thought to bother them with a suggestion - although it's possibly a good idea. at the end of the day, though, people like me a very much a minority when it comes to things like this, so it's very unlikely there'd be sufficient justification in bothering with catering to the disability angle. don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining, i understand how the world is and that everyone else can't be held to ransom for a small few. still, it'd be interesting to get someone like David Hollingworth's point of view on this...

oh, and don't worry about your terminology! the only people who get upset about that sort of thing are able-bodied, politically correct, media attention seekers. you know, the sort of people who think you can pick up a dog turd from the clean end. on the whole, most disabled folk (of any kind), happily acknowledge what they in blunt terms and try to get on with their lives :o)

Edited by GTAV6

If you have enough control to push arcade buttons with your finger/splint maybe you could try out some console games on an arcade controller (hori or madcatz make good quality cheapish ones). They're very sensitive and don't require much force to actuate the buttons or joystick directions (so as to be as fast as possible at fighting games). If you have control over your arm as a whole you could prob use the joystick with it right? Or failing that with maybe with an extension stick glued to it and your mouth. dunno.

main thing being that they have 8 buttons all arrayed in a nice horizontal fashion - i.e. the 'trigger' buttons are flat as well and you'd be able to press them easily.

Edited by skepticism

tertaplegic is the term used here in nz, most of the world still use the term quadraplegic; but essentially that's me - i broke four vertebrae in my neck (c5, 6, 7 & t1), completely severing the spinal column at c6, which resulted in me having absolutely nothing from my armpits down, no sensation or motor function.

i've often wished game reviewers could include a comment or two on potential physical difficulties in mastering a game, but never thought to bother them with a suggestion - although it's possibly a good idea. at the end of the day, though, people like me a very much a minority when it comes to things like this, so it's very unlikely there'd be sufficient justification in bothering with catering to the disability angle. don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining, i understand how the world is and that everyone else can't be held to ransom for a small few. still, it'd be interesting to get someone like David Hollingworth's point of view on this...

oh, and don't worry about your terminology! the only people who get upset about that sort of thing are able-bodied, politically correct, media attention seekers. you know, the sort of people who think you can pick up a dog turd from the clean end. on the whole, most disabled folk (of any kind), happily acknowledge what they in blunt terms and try to get on with their lives :o)

jeebus!!!!!

WTF!

mate, I take my hat off to you

here I was spewing about having a hangover.......

I'm gonna blame you GTAV6. Being the electronic nerd, I'm wondering what could be done to improve the situation for people like you. Just because you're a small few, doesn't mean you should be excluded. I have this feeling I won't do anything, but it's now going to churn through my mind for a few weeks.

Perhaps I will work out something.

AD

you know, the sort of people who think you can pick up a dog turd from the clean end.

Doood fucking brilliant describes some people perfectly.

:-)

I remember a while ago Valve was toying with retina tracking for playing FPS like portal and the like but i never heard of anything that came of it whether its a tech they are developing for an upcoming game or just a proof of concept they were dabbling with. I could imagine that if it was accurate, with fast response times, retina tracking could make FPS games uber easy.

Edited by Bundy

there is a motion-capture device available, the Track IR5, which uses head movement to help with gameplay. the downside, though, is that not all games are designed to interface with it.

OK, so next time you are frustrated with the controls or game play, take a big breath and suck it up. Here is the guy soloing ME3 multiplayer. With a stick.

he is getting a big wrap with the players at bioware social, much respect for pursuing his hobbie even with the extra challenges.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/14974474/1

I would actually be interested in a little expose by Atomic on some of the less well known members of our gaming community. It makes me smile and feel good to see people overcoming things and having fun. We have talekd about other groups wihtin gaming, why not the disabled .

Tye

LOL. What do you think the OP was bigtye...

LITERALLY..

And this thread has gone full circle.

AD

It has, but I thought some be interrested to actually see how he does it. The video of it wasn't available when I made the OP.

Tye