Sign in to follow this  
mattleyland

Intel new chipset over the sandy bridge

What is the best value in the new range of Intels new cpu's

Intel Core i7 3930K socket 2011 or Intel Core i7 3770K socket 1155

Is there much difference between overclocking performance etc.

you really after an answer?

the 1155 socket will shit all over 2011 $ per Pin - basically, you get around 5-10% for an extra $1,000, if you're lucky

the best overclockers were the 2500K in my opinion (I only had 3x 0f em.....)

Yea the 3570K is the better option for a gaming PC. Without question.

The reason i say this is because for an extra $100 for the 3700K you get 3 things.

1. 2MB cache

2. Hyper threading

3. 100Mhz

Unless you know why you need those particular attributes then you don't need them. Common grounds as to why they might be useful is if you are working with the following: Virtualizations, rendering day in day out, compression and i suppose compiling of large code bases would also find hyper threading useful. In essence you need to do more than gaming and the odd conversion from mkv to avi for it to be worth while.

If you want the best bang for your buck the 3570K is the way to go. Dump the saving either into your pocket or a bigger/better SSD/GPU.

On various forums people usually come back at me with "Oh you only have the 3570K so you're just jealous". They couldn't be further from the truth. I can afford a 3770K, but i knew i didn't need those extra attributes of the 3770K and i'm a big power user. The reason for this is because i've moved all my visualization off to a dedicated server with a 2600K, so i just don't need hyper threading anymore. Again, the saving went in my pocket (or rather into my new laptop :P)

So if you want to squeeze the most out of your budget a 3570K with a decent motherboard would be your best option. As i said above, if you don't know why you need the attributes the 3770K has to offer then you are just pissing money up against the wall.

Edited by smakme7757

Go 1155 unless you NEED 6 cores for high workstation stuff (video editing/3D rendering etc)

in terms of overclocking 1155 is easier to overclock,just set your multi,change a few volts and you can easily get 4.5ghz.

If gaming as above have said go 1155 and the 3570K is ideal.

spend the money saved on a better graphics card or something worthwhile.

Go 1155 unless you NEED 6 cores for high workstation stuff (video editing/3D rendering etc)

In that case, just build a workstation. I built one a few weeks back. Around $1K for the twin CPU board and a 6 core Xeon. 128 Gig of cheap Kingston ram would set you back just over $600.

In that case, just build a workstation. I built one a few weeks back. Around $1K for the twin CPU board and a 6 core Xeon. 128 Gig of cheap Kingston ram would set you back just over $600.

I believe the OP was asking for - "best value"?

Hey, don't blame me, I was only quoting jdog.

But whilst it might not be cheap, a twin Xeon board that has 4 double width PCI-E 3.0 x 16 slots sounds like good value to me!

Hey, don't blame me, I was only quoting jdog.

But whilst it might not be cheap, a twin Xeon board that has 4 double width PCI-E 3.0 x 16 slots sounds like good value to me!

I don't believe i was "blaming" you for anything?

And yes, a "twin Xeon board that has 4 double width PCI-E 3.0 x 16" is bad value for money unless you have a very special need for 4 PCIe slots and 2 CPU

Edited by smakme7757

Whilst I don't need 4 double width slots, I do need 2.

You can never over estimate the grunt you will need in a couple of years.

Whilst I don't need 4 double width slots, I do need 2.

You can never over estimate the grunt you will need in a couple of years.

It's unlikely you would add 2 more of the same cards 3 years down the track. You would just upgrade to one or 2 better cards or move onto a new paltform. With that being said the rate of diminishing returns becomes much greater at 3 and 4 GPUs. It's just not worth it unless, like i said above, you have a special for GPU power which you will be using from the get go.

Let me word it this way:

You can never over estimate the grunt you will need in a couple of years, which is why I am after a board with double width slots. I never expected to see 3 slot GPU's, so hopefully this board will keep me going for the next 5 years.