Sign in to follow this  
the_13th

Your Advice Needed: Wireless Networking

Okay, I've wanted to do this for a long time now. Im on ADSL Standard

1500 just for the record

Im currently using just a basic DLink Modem DSL-502T and then a switch to split it, I want to go wireless, I have my main PC, usually a second and then I also have an Xbox 360 as well, I want the 360 to be wireless and the second PC will be as well, my main PC will most likely be hooked through the ethernet...

Im only in a one bedroom flat so range isnt a real problem, its network traffic, I want to get a decent modem, I want to be able to secure it with a password to stop people from stealin my net.. I definately wamnt an all in one unit if possible, whether its g or n is going to depend on the advice I get. The Xbox 360 only supports g anyway..

On a side note, my current modem must be 'reset' around once a day, turning it off and on again cause it drops the connection, if that problem can be fixed in the process then excellent

Edited by the_13th

My preference? Dump the DSL-502T and get a new modem router with inbuilt 4 port switch and wireless.

Reduces the network clutter and possible setup problems.

Especially given a wireless modem/router is about the same price as a wireless router.

As DiStOrTeD said the billions are supposed to be good, except for marginal quality phone lines.

My 7404VGPM did not like my rural phoneline and needed constant resetting too so I replaced it with a cheap TP-Link TD-W8920G which has been pretty rock solid.

http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_des.asp?id=111

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=TD-W8920G+

If you do any torrenting this may be why your current modem needs the constant resetting. Have a read of this.

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Netwo...onnection_dying

and

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_r...Usual_solutions

Well Im definately going to replace the 502T with whatever I buy, I want to rid the room of the clutter, I hate it...

Billion have good reviews...

N is good and all but will I get any benifit from it? The 360 doesnt support any more than g... And its just a unit, so range isnt an issue...

Would 1500 bottleneck on a g modem?

Well Im definately going to replace the 502T with whatever I buy, I want to rid the room of the clutter, I hate it...

Billion have good reviews...

N is good and all but will I get any benifit from it? The 360 doesnt support any more than g... And its just a unit, so range isnt an issue...

Would 1500 bottleneck on a g modem?

802.11n will provide greater range and signal strength plus the ability to use 802.11n client cards if you feel the need in the future.

A 1.5Mbps ADSL connection won't be an issue on 802.11g.

The only real benifit for me at this stage then to go to N would be future proofing myself, Are there any decent N routers available with the built in ADSL modem? Or are they all routers only?

I only seem to be finding routers only

If I was to go G Im weighing up the Linksys WAG54G vs the Billion recommended earlier.

Both appear to be what I require, my mind is far from made up yet but this has been a great help

Any one used the Linksys WRT310N?

Or have a better alternative?

Seems to have excellent reviews, best price I've found (including postage) and without resorting to ebay has been around $137 or so

yeah pretty much, Ive decided on the modem I want now though, I want the 310 mentioned in my last post, now all I need is the money to buy it

Just posting to thank you all for the help, I made my order for a Linksys by Cisco WRT310N last night, looking forward to it arriving so I can enter wireless heaven :)

no worries; good luck getting it working (and for once I don't mean that cynically)

Getting it working will NOT be the fun bit I know but once its done I'll be very happy

Quick question guys, I want to make my PC wireless, going to get a basic G card, just to get me going for now, will buy something more extravacant later (just lost my job), whats the best Ill get for around $30-$40 I've seen some DLINK ones, but what would YOU suggest?

Only played with 2 PCI wireless cards, the Netcomm NP542 and ASUS WL-138g, both seem to work ok, especially if you avoid installing all the excess wireless setup/connect crap and just install the card drivers and use the inbuilt windows wireless utility to connect.

The Asus is in a PC I sold a while back and did have reception issues till I fitted a better antenna on a lead. Standard antenna had the case between it and the modem, plus 3 walls in the way.

The Netcomm I fitted an external high gain directional antenna because it is connecting to an AP with a directional antenna facing the wrong way and it is over 200m between the two (connecting two houses :P).

Both seem to hold the connection fine.