tw2

How rubbish is my cpu now?

I have a AMD 965 black edition quad core overclocked mildly to 3.7gHz. Nothing special Asus motherboard with USB 3, Sata 3 etc. 8GB kingston hyperx. My question is how does my cpu stand up with the newer stuff? Is it time to think about upgrading? I have always stuck with AMD but I have no brand affiliation.

I have a Gigabyte 7950 900mHz 3GB but I occasionally get 1-2 second slowdowns with borderlands 2, skyrim and some other games with large textures which I am guessing shouldn't be due to the graphics card. I would be looking at something around the i5 3570 price range. Are there any significant gains to be had or just stick with what I have?

I have exactly the same cpu, overclock and maybe the same motherboard(M4A87TD/USB3). i am holding off for haswell which is going to be great on desktop, Should you choose to upgrade now expect ~25% speed increase no OC, ~40% OC'ed.

I use intel atm good enough for me i had troubles with Amd with my ssd when the six core amd 1100t came out windows didnt pick it up properly i tried everything for it to get more power but windows only detected it as a hdd so i didnt get all the fast speeds Amds are so easy to work with tho

Thanks for the replies. Is haswell going to be a huge improvement? The article says around 10% speed increase per mHz over Ive Bridge. Maybe I will wait around for this, its not as if Ivy Bridge is going to get more expensive in the mean time if I decide to go that way.

Yes an SSD is definitely on the cards. I would hate to think how old my seagate 160gb windows drive is. SSD prices are starting to become a lot more reasonable especially for sizes you can actually use, 200-500gb for steam games etc.

I'm not really into overclocking too much. I will see if my megahalems fits or get whatever noctua have at the time but usually 300-500mHz increase is good enough for me.

I'd more inclined to just wait it out. Your CPU is definitely more than enough to actually game anything these days. If anything, the slowdowns you're describing is normal. I have the same slowdowns because most of the games these days aren't developed specifically for the PC in mind.

Moving onto Intel isn't the best move ATM as rumbling is that the newer CPUs will require a new socket, a new cooling retention system and finally a new chipset which renders your future planning useless.

Spikes like that tend to be hdd access related, ssd will make more difference than any new CPU to your gaming experience at the moment I believe.

I sold my pc in march (nehalem, sli gtx480) and I won't be building another until Haswell, intel should have hit their stride with tri-gate & 22nm by then.

A Phenom II X4 965 is still a nice little chip. I had one in my main system until recently, when I bought my mates Phenom II X6 1090T. I gave the X4 to my sister, and she loves it

I have the same slowdowns because most of the games these days aren't developed specifically for the PC in mind.

yep there made for consoles with stuff all ram so they are made to load things on the fly which creates stutters

Thanks for the advice, SSD it is. Maybe I will revisit the cpu/mobo/ram combo mid next year once the new stuff has come out and prices dropped a touch.

a ssd wont make stutters disappear but it can shorten them

a ssd wont make stutters disappear but it can shorten them

good luck with that....that'd be your graphics card

;)

or lack thereof. :P