Sign in to follow this  
TazDC

Can't Play Blu Ray DVD's on Desktop

Hi, I can't seem to play Blu Ray DVD's on my desktop. I use PowerDVD 10. The error I get is "This content is only allowed on a digital output. Ensure your display device uses a DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort connector. - (Code=0121). Run the BD Advisor tool for more information." Although, I can play them on my laptop using PowerDVD 10. Can anyone help? I don't think that I have the required connections at the back of my desktop computer.

I ran the Advisor tool and it states that video connection type is "analog". That is the only fail in the test.

My motherboard is ASUS P5Q Deluxe. My graphics card is from the ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series.

Edited by TazDC

sounds like to me your trying to run it through vga?

try an different cord to your monitor/TV, failing that Slysoft AnyDVD might help.

I have Blu-rays running over DVI just fine so if you have the outputs/inputs for DVI that will do you nicely. Some newer monitors only have VGA and HDMI though. Since it says you're running analog, you're probably on VGA or using a DVI-VGA adapter. I don't know if I've tried using VGA for blu-rays, but I do know that it's a 'lower quality' connection so you should go to HDMI if you can anyway.

I just googled a pic of a Radeon 4800 and it has two DVI outputs and I think that old circular analog plug that no one ever used. If you can just use DVI from your graphics card into your monitor then that should be all you need.

AnyDVD HD is an excellent program that gets rid of many blu-ray hassles, though it does cost a fair bit of money and the free trial runs out pretty quick. From my own efforts pirating it, torrent versions seem to be pretty commonly malware-riddled.

DVI is digital, so it will work, as will HDMI, its possible that using a DVI>VGA adaptor and plugging into the monitor with VGA will work too, but then I'm not quite sure how that sort of connection is detected.

I couldn't get mine to work either. I've tried both inputs ,analogue and dvi. I tried it ages ago and I'm pretty sure I got a message regarding HDCP blocking contents or something along those lines...might have to try it again.

I couldn't get mine to work either. I've tried both inputs ,analogue and dvi. I tried it ages ago and I'm pretty sure I got a message regarding HDCP blocking contents or something along those lines...might have to try it again.

HDCP is slightly different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidt...tent_Protection

In order to make a device that plays material protected by HDCP, the manufacturer must obtain a license from Intel subsidiary Digital Content Protection LLC, pay an annual fee, and submit to various conditions.[5][6][7] For example, the device cannot be designed to copy; it must "frustrate attempts to defeat the content protection requirements";[7] it must not transmit high definition protected video to non-HDCP receivers; and DVD-Audio material can be played only at CD-audio quality[7] by non-HDCP digital audio outputs (analog audio outputs have no quality limits). HDCP does not allow copying permitted by fair use laws.

At a guess your monitor or lead is not HDCP compliant.

Easiest way round all this crap is to use AnyDVD HD, or possibly DVDFab HD Decrypter or DVDFab Passkey Lite.