Sign in to follow this  
steveneoi

Vote--what we need the most on a router ?

Hi, all

recently, I am doing a research for my homework which about how we choose a router , so, please reply me and i can collect all this data ~! (just simply reply in number)

1.Speed

2.Functionality

3.Stability

4.Cost

5.Brand

thank you all~~!

low cost, reliability, any extra features are a bonus

I have two routers here, plus the ISP provided one.

One is a Gigabit, Wireless-N router with USB Storage

The other is a 100Mb Wireless-N router with 3G support.

I wish I could get one that "did" everything.

:)

It's an old IT joke really:

"Fast, cheap, reliable, pick two."

But reliable comes first.

Cheers

Stability ... no flipping point of having a router which required rebooting constantly. Brand is last consideration.

Edited by Jeruselem

yup

+1 yup. :P

What I really want is a decent ADSL modem router with more than 4 bloody ports. Yes I know I can just add a switch for more ports but that is yet one more goddam box plugged in to a power point. I want it all in one.

yup

+1 yup. :P

What I really want is a decent ADSL modem router with more than 4 bloody ports. Yes I know I can just add a switch for more ports but that is yet one more goddam box plugged in to a power point.

+1 here, too. Stability is paramount.

With functionality I would add that security is a big part of it. This is the main reason I loaded DD-WRT onto my Linksys router to replace the stock one.

I want it all in one.

And I want it now! :D

Seriously, though, I doubt you'll ever get one. Only consumer-level gear seems to have both the modem and router built into one unit, and to add more than 4 ports would make the size physically larger than most consumers would want. There may be an enterprise-level unit somewhere, however I expect it will have a brand name on it that would attract a premium price.

I think Cisco have/had some product that gives you 12 ports but if it is still available I don't know, at typical Cisco pricing probably not but they could have transferred it to the Linksys brand, would be useful.

Mind you everything here is wireless these days so the ports on my router go unused anyway :)

If real estate is the issue surely they could just stack it higher, say three vertical rows of four, would probably be cheaper than switch plus router but probably too niche a market to appeal to a consumer brand.

Cheers

I think Cisco have/had some product that gives you 12 ports but if it is still available I don't know, at typical Cisco pricing probably not but they could have transferred it to the Linksys brand, would be useful.

Mind you everything here is wireless these days so the ports on my router go unused anyway :)

If real estate is the issue surely they could just stack it higher, say three vertical rows of four, would probably be cheaper than switch plus router but probably too niche a market to appeal to a consumer brand.

Cheers

Netgear had one some time ago apparently. The Netgear DGFV338

http://www.netgear.com.au/business/product...GFV338.aspx#two

Probably released too early for the market, or too expensive for domestic users.

Anything in Cisco's 2600 range have a great speed, functionality and stability for the price, and you know it's a good brand. Can't really go wrong.

come on guys, i getting the vote data, not talking about on what kind of brand can do better, there are no one best router exsit, only choose the best suitable router

Edited by steveneoi