Sign in to follow this  
TheMojorising

What do you for exercise?

Hey guys and girls.

I'm wondering about the physical activities the atomicans get up to on the weekend. I occasionally see someone talk about their protein powder purchase, or their recent colour belt acquisition in a martial arts thread and then of course there was that thread about Juggs hitting up Thailand and beating the shit out of someone over there but never a central thread.

Me, I hit up the local Jetts gym anywhere between 3-5 times a week alternating between weights sessions and cardio. Also been doing an occasional kettlebell session with a mate who wants to do some indoor rockclimbing now and then....

Apart from general wellbeing it's also in preparation for my first season of football in about a decade. So that's going to be interesting

I was also considering starting up boxing/a martial art of some kind dependent on the availability of local beginner classes. The mates wife wants to do bikram yoga, I'm considering doing it with her as I've heard good things and I might meet some new people.

Finally in June, I've signed up for http://www.zombieescape.com.au/ next year in June. Signed up as both a runner and a zombie so that should be fun.

So what do you lot get up to?

edit: erm wtf - i had a poll but it hasnt appeared for some reason... lameo

Edited by TheMojorising

Anyone who's read any of my posts probably knows that I am into weightlifting. I actually lifted today for the first time in ages. I'm finding that having a job makes it harder to lift, especially as I have no access to a gym anymore and am still making do with crappy home equipment.

My physical exertion journey started out with me being a fat as fatass and no longer desiring to be that way. I lost a lot of weight quite quickly simply from ceasing to eat like an idiot and starting briskly walking every day and general bodyweight exercise. I then began weight training as I learned it is the most beneficial thing to do for those looking to improve their physique whilst also losing weight in general. This got me interesting in strength sports as some of the lifts I did included those in Powerlifting. I then became interested in the 'smug lifts' of Weightlifting.

So I now care much less about my physique and more about becoming a strong, flexible and efficient athlete. Unfortunately I let myself get too fat too quickly after getting hat-rack lean and am now back to dieting my bodyfat down. Which I hate. But now that I've gone through it before it is much easier the second time around.

I have always hated cardio and it was a revelation when I learned that it is not necessary for weightloss or health. My resting heart rate is very low, and on occasions where I do have to run, I do just fine at it, despite never running otherwise. So I have managed to find something that improves my health that I highly enjoy, win win.

For no real reason, here's a new video of one of my favourite lifters that inspired me to lift today. Wow, I just realised he is a full 20cm shorter than me, yet only weighs 7kg less. And I am fat as hell right now. Milko is one solid dude.

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

Never been one for gym or running. I've done martial arts for more than 25 years, and depending on how hard one trains, has given me the cardio and strength development I have needed. I was attacked in the street several times after I finished high school, so I felt that learning a self defense skill was more important than health and fitness. Over the years however, I have come to experience and appreciate the health benefits of MA training as well. What I like about MA is that the techniques one learns have a two fold purpose...that of health and fitness, and a useful skill that can be used for other purposes.

I like the idea of Yoga...Bikram Yoga is an awesome style, very physically demanding and very benefical to body development, but sorry to say I really CBF spending the time doing the routine every day.

The closest I get to a health exercise regimen outside of MA is a set of Taoist exercises including Ba Duan Jin (8pieces of brocade), Iron Shirt Chi Kung (internal body conditioning through concentrated breathing), Tai Chi and meditation, but since these have a martial application I am happy to train them regularly.

Another thing I like to do as a form of exercise is bushwalking and mountain climbing. Once or twice ayear I'll go on a long walk somewhere that involves a big hill...not only is hill climbing good cardio and leg training but also a test of your stamina, plus there's the added benefit of a view at the end.

Every weekday morning (So Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri) I have a 12k loop starting out my front door which takes me off-road through some hill sections, then down to pavement flat - Will usually walk/jog/hike/freerun it (1 hour) or pull out the single-speed bike (30 minutes) - If I bike it, I tend to do it again of an afternoon. Weekday arvos I cycle between sets of sit ups, push ups, pull ups, dips and squats - Got a couple small pieces of gym equipment at home (Pull-up rig and sit-up bench), so also get in extra sets when pottering around the flat

Every morning though I do stretches - I do a lot of motorbikes, skateboards, rollerblades, rock climbing and other sports which see me eating dirt a lot, and flexibility helps save a lot of injuries and with repair. Can't quite do the splits again yet, but can get both feet behind my head - Creepy :S

Every monday wednesday and friday is indoor climbing for about 3 hours - Joint I go to has a bouldering section, so I just go by myself for the work out. Looking at Tai Chi once the new year starts - Always appreciated it as a martial arts, and there's a place just down the road. Meant to be starting Ice Hockey as well, so the new year is going to be interesting

Weekends are wild cards - Try to get in a long bush walk on one of the days at least, or a really long off-road motorbike ride (A lot more taxing than one would think) or outdoor rock climbing or something. Basically I spend all weekend beating myself up and having fun, then spend the next 5 days nursing wounds and healing up ready for the next weekend - Main reason I love having a job :P

I weighed 120k back in 97 and sit around 69k these days - I never want to be that big ever again (I still feel that big :/ )

I am an inconsistent exerciser.

I normal circumstances I ride horses. In saying that, I lost my riding horses at the start of the year and haven't ridden since January. Feels like a lifetime ago :(

Yesterday I went for a 8klm walk as an act of procrastination. It was quite enjoyable. I like long walks.

When netball season is on I play netball.

I like to go to the gym for strength, twice a week on my current schedule. Once upon a time I did 5 days a week.

I have a dodgy home gym I use when I'm keen and can't get to the real gym.

I did a brief stint of hiking up mountains. It was fun and challenging, but I don't do it anymore for lack of a climbing buddy.

Pilates and yoga. Used to like yoga, hard to find a class in my area. Will do some pilates at home when I need to straighten myself out.

Stretches. Or else I wind up lopsided and that gets very uncomfortable.

If I'm in a health kick frame of mind I'll skip, jog laps, do body weight exercise and any combination of the above.

Every monday wednesday and friday is indoor climbing for about 3 hours - Joint I go to has a bouldering section, so I just go by myself for the work out. Looking at Tai Chi once the new year starts - Always appreciated it as a martial arts, and there's a place just down the road. Meant to be starting Ice Hockey as well, so the new year is going to be interesting

I did that for the 1st time on Friday and it was a blast. So much me and the guys that went are considering turning it into a thing we do every fortnight and buying some gear too. For everything else I do weight lifting 4 nights a week and looking to get into olympic lifting and perhaps a martial art aswell.

I play netball 2 times a week and basketball 2 times a week. Iv been meaning to add a day of gym in there but iv not got around to it

I'm on and off with body building (somewhat connected to my bipolar depression from what I've worked out). At the moment I try to do 30 minutes worth of walking on our treadmill each day but weekends. Although encountering feet problem with the treadmill. And also trying to build up strength but more-so endurance with weights but not advancing very far with being able to lift any particular amount of weight 100 times. I do that 1 day off 1 day on. I think I may have to change my regime to work according to correct body building methods. What I mean by that is doing a low weight say 20 times, then a heavier weight 10 times, then the heaviest weight say 5 times. Although hopefully I can turn it into 100, 50, 25.

I would like to take up a martial arts but the availability of them around here is sparse and I would like to take up Wing Chun Kung Fu in particular so...

I'm on and off with body building (somewhat connected to my bipolar depression from what I've worked out). At the moment I try to do 30 minutes worth of walking on our treadmill each day but weekends. Although encountering feet problem with the treadmill. And also trying to build up strength but more-so endurance with weights but not advancing very far with being able to lift any particular amount of weight 100 times. I do that 1 day off 1 day on. I think I may have to change my regime to work according to correct body building methods. What I mean by that is doing a low weight say 20 times, then a heavier weight 10 times, then the heaviest weight say 5 times. Although hopefully I can turn it into 100, 50, 25.

No just no.

Go read starting strength. 4 times a week no more no less lift heavy.

10 reps of 20. Sit ups, push ups, squats, knee lifts. 5km run. 10 reps of 20.

I got told the other day that I looked "fucking amazing naked". But that was by a guy, so take that with a grain of salt.

'

I would like to take up a martial arts but the availability of them around here is sparse and I would like to take up Wing Chun Kung Fu in particular so...

6-12 reps for someone who's starting out. Adjust the weight so you can do less than 12. Add more weight until the same again and so on.

The closest I get to a health exercise regimen outside of MA is a set of Taoist exercises including Ba Duan Jin (8pieces of brocade), Iron Shirt Chi Kung (internal body conditioning through concentrated breathing), Tai Chi and meditation, but since these have a martial application I am happy to train them regularly.

Nice man. I've been meaning to start again with the 8 piece.

Only just started getting back into meditation too. A week back into it and I've picked up where I left off - just barely able to silence myself.

I ride most days and race on Thursdays. The days I don't ride to where I'm going generally walk.

I've never been a big guy and probably never will be, but my depression gets very hard to manage when I don't keep doing regular exercise and eating properly.

No just no.

Go read starting strength. 4 times a week no more no less lift heavy.

I'm after endurance not strength, so...Endurance would be more helpful if I take up a martial arts not strength.

6-12 reps for someone who's starting out. Adjust the weight so you can do less than 12. Add more weight until the same again and so on.

I'm not just starting out. I've been doing this for a couple years now but my regime has changed and I've stopped more then once but I keep coming back to it. My life gets in the way. So my current regime isn't based on anything proper it was just an idea I had that I wanted to test out.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a derail =\. Sorry if it does TheMojorising.

Edited by TheSingularity

I weighed 120k back in 97 and sit around 69k these days - I never want to be that big ever again (I still feel that big :/ )

Those are almost my numbers too, ~125kg at my heaviest and 69kg at my lightest. As a 6'0 man who actually lifts though, that was entirely too light. Now I'm at about 90kg (the difference being all fat) but I 'felt this fat' even at my lightest. Weird psychological stuff probably. I've heard other ex-'lifetime fat guys' say the same thing, they always feel like a fat guy.

For everything else I do weight lifting 4 nights a week and looking to get into olympic lifting and perhaps a martial art aswell.

Depending on where you are, it may be quite easy to get into, or very difficult. If you're lucky enough to have a proper weightlifting club near you, then you should join it post-haste. Having access to real, experienced coaches and lifting amongst strong and talented lifters will do wonders for your own lifting. That's pretty unlikely though, so the next-best option is a Crossfit gym, which are far more numerous. Some have terrible reputations for weightlifting coaching though so it would be best to check them out first so you don't get taught a bunch of bullshit that you'll have to un-learn later. Crossfit is also pricey as heeeellllll if you get forced into paying for all the Crossfit classes and not just the weightlifting you want to do. If you're like me with neither of these options, then you'll have to either find a regular gym with bumper plates and platforms (chance: none) or buy your own (a pricey proposition).

I lift things up and put them down. Deadlifts, Pendlay rows, military presses, bench presses, and even squats, may they burn in hell. 5x5 on all the things. Sometimes I do curls and tricep extensions because girls. I try and do 12x5 of those because I like how pump feels.

Should do some cardio. But then there's lots of things I -should- do.

I have sex sometimes, and that totally counts. I'm also known to lift between three and six tonnes of paint daily, more on Tuesdays and Thursdays when my stock arrives, and in various configurations between six and twenty seven kilos per tub. I eat junk food like an American though, so I'm still 150kg-ish. Doesn't impede my movement or anything though and chicks still dig me so motivation to dispense with it is slim. I've been fooling around with eating better and don't seem to have too many problems eating between 1500-1800cal/day, so I'll probably start keeping to that where I can. Not going to get carried away with it though, fuck it. The day I start waddling like a Wal Martian it'll probably be easier to find motivation there.

Exercise ? Heh, by the time I've vacuumed the floors, mowed the lawn, tended the garden, cleaned the windows, scrubbed the bathroom, washed the car, done the laundry, ironed, dusted, tidied and walked to and from the shops/work.... I don't need any extra exercise.

Gym 3 to 5 times a week, for between 30mins - 45mins sessions on my lunch break from work. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm getting there. Mainly weights, and a bit of a jog on the treadmill either at the beginning or end of the session.

Exercise ? Heh, by the time I've vacuumed the floors, mowed the lawn, tended the garden, cleaned the windows, scrubbed the bathroom, washed the car, done the laundry, ironed, dusted, tidied and walked to and from the shops/work.... I don't need any extra exercise.

orinjuse is so lazy...

For everything else I do weight lifting 4 nights a week and looking to get into olympic lifting and perhaps a martial art aswell.

Depending on where you are, it may be quite easy to get into, or very difficult. If you're lucky enough to have a proper weightlifting club near you, then you should join it post-haste. Having access to real, experienced coaches and lifting amongst strong and talented lifters will do wonders for your own lifting. That's pretty unlikely though, so the next-best option is a Crossfit gym, which are far more numerous. Some have terrible reputations for weightlifting coaching though so it would be best to check them out first so you don't get taught a bunch of bullshit that you'll have to un-learn later. Crossfit is also pricey as heeeellllll if you get forced into paying for all the Crossfit classes and not just the weightlifting you want to do. If you're like me with neither of these options, then you'll have to either find a regular gym with bumper plates and platforms (chance: none) or buy your own (a pricey proposition).

Yeah I have a Olympic gym just down the road and 2 of the guys have been hassling me too go but I don't feel that my lifts are big enough yet. Once I get my dead lift to 180 i'll be doing it still its a bit off as my current dead lift pb is 160kgs and hopefully by then have my bench at lmoa2plate which would be good as I should weigh in at around 75kgs by then with my current bulk.

orinjuse is so lazy...

Why ?

orinjuse is so lazy...

Why ?

I'm not sure. I don't know him all that well. I'm guessing an innate malaise.

Yeah I have a Olympic gym just down the road and 2 of the guys have been hassling me too go but I don't feel that my lifts are big enough yet. Once I get my dead lift to 180 i'll be doing it still its a bit off as my current dead lift pb is 160kgs and hopefully by then have my bench at lmoa2plate which would be good as I should weigh in at around 75kgs by then with my current bulk.

Well then you're better off than 99% of people who'd like to get into weightlifting, so you should go and join immediately. Your current lifts don't matter whatsoever as weightlifting is all technique. You'll be on an empty bar for a while. Or at least you should be. Your deadlift is way higher than mine, but then, who's isn't. About the only heavy thing they'll have you do will be squats, but even then if you can squat 120kg but can't snatch the empty bar properly, it would be a waste of time to continue getting your squat up. Also you will be hassled to buy weightlifting shoes from day one, I know my mate was haha. The QLD weightlifting association sells some pretty cheap pretty good ones apparently.

http://www.qwa.org/products/content.asp

Not many sizes in stock though. Or you could go all-out like me and buy Adipowers, and feel like a douchebag struggling with basic lifts while foreign monsters set world records in them.