gabber

GPU upgrade time

First things first, my system is as follows ;

Core i7 870 @ stock 2.93GHz

4GB DDRwhateveritis

2 x Radeon 1GB HD4970

Win7 64bit

Well, it's finally happened and the aging gfx cards are past due. I want gw2 with all the graphical fruits on running 1920x1080 without breaking a sweat. I also only want to replace the gfx cards (not interested in replacing anything else) with one only. I also don't want to spend over $350-400ish. I would also like it to be quiet if possible. Are there out there at the moment that can fulfill any/most/some of my aforementioned needs (I've been out of the loop for a good couple of years now). Any advice would be greatly appreciated from all you clever folks out there :)

First things first, my system is as follows ;

Core i7 870 @ stock 2.93GHz

4GB DDRwhateveritis

2 x Radeon 1GB HD4970

Win7 64bit

Well, it's finally happened and the aging gfx cards are past due. I want gw2 with all the graphical fruits on running 1920x1080 without breaking a sweat. I also only want to replace the gfx cards (not interested in replacing anything else) with one only. I also don't want to spend over $350-400ish. I would also like it to be quiet if possible. Are there out there at the moment that can fulfill any/most/some of my aforementioned needs (I've been out of the loop for a good couple of years now). Any advice would be greatly appreciated from all you clever folks out there :)

An AMD HD 7970 is your best option, its not quite as fast as a 680 when at stock but it OCs like crazy and it will be perfect for what you want

Um, HD4870 maybe? I think it is, catalyst control centre says its a 4800 series radeon. I stand corrected.

I got impatient today whilst out doing stuff and came home with a MSI 660Ti. The price was right for me ($285). After getting it installed and sorted, it turns out it runs gw2 great at 1920x1080 with all the stuff on. So, hurray!

But the biggest upside is the lack of noise from the pc now. With the two 4890, I could hear the pc trying to take off with fans at 30% :( Now, she is all whisper quiet. Nice.

Don't know if it was a special. Just walked in, grabbed the part list and asked if they had the cheapest 660Ti in stock :)