st8smn

Racing sim ,round 2

Racing sim round 2

Ok so some may remember my last racing sim build if not look here at the trademart thread.

Sadly i had to sell the rig to move to perth. Now im all settled in just south of Yanchep its time to build a new and improved model.

The last build was made up of general waste that people threw out 'ie' the steel, the seat, the tv and everything apart from the G27 and lether handbrake boot (i worked for a recycling mob) and while it performed quite well it was literally made with a $30 ebay stick welder and a 5'' angle grinder , it was knocked together in a weekend and to me (the builder) it seemed very unprofessional. I could do so much better if i put some thought and some $$$ into it. Lack of tools was a major issue last time so iv spent roughly $2000 on tools to go in the workshop including a new mig.

So i guess this will be a running worklog of my efforts ...

partslist (paid for so far)

Logitech G27 picked one up for $250

buttkicker gamer2 $260

logitech attack 3 joystick $20 (to mod for handbrake and dash switches)

hydraulic handbrake $90 still in post (i know someone will ask why for ,its a proper rally handbrake. i want the mechanism itself. hydraulics will be removed and used on a go-kart)

linear rails and bearing blocks $75

linear actuator $120 still in post

steel- 25x25x2 shs duragal , 3x6meter lengths $55 (im still geting small bits of steel from work but the majority is brand new stuff.)

various nuts n bolts $20

yamaha 5.1 setup $600

Posted Image

still going to get...

42'' tv -$500

new bucket seat (the one i have is too old n faded to use in a new sim) $180-200

more nuts n bolts

There is still alot more to add to the partslist but thats what i have for now.

I have only made the seat mount and slide for now as i done my back at work 'sigh'

basicly i started with the idea of not only making it look 'industrial' but to have it industrial strength ...600mm linear rails and bearing blocks for cnc machines as seat slides will provide 250mm of smooth electronic seat adjustment via a 10' linear actuator.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

that piece of blue steel will be cut-out n replaced with duragal

thats about all i have at the moment but will be adding a little more each weekend for those interested.

cheers

Edited by st8smn

Just a qif you don't mind? Why go for duragal for an inside device? Gal is a pain to weld and tends to give off a lot more noxious gases.

I would have thought bare steel would be better then painted or (if you want to spend the extra) powder coated.

Stainless would be nice but oohhhhh so expensive.

I got duragal so it would last alot longer and i have access to small pieces of angle and tube from work

Yes it is a pain to weld but not half as bad as hot dip gal. im welding outside with 0.8 flux core wire at the moment so fumes dont really hang around all that much.

ill get some argon when iv got somewhere to work out of the wind.

I got my dad a job as a truck driver at the place i work and he delivers / picks up jobs from the powder coaters all the time

he's made a friend down there so i wouldn't be suprised if my sim ends up powder coated black.

as for stainless ... well that would be niice but damn heavy

cheers

Can't wait to see the end result and the work log, I thought your last rig was pretty cool all things considered, so a planned and purpose built one should be epic.

alright if you have the space

I've had in recent times a MOMO, and a G25, just bolted to a solid desk

haven't got the room for that

I had Bathurst down to 1.06 in V8 Supercars 3 if that's any help.......

;)

I got duragal so it would last alot longer and i have access to small pieces of angle and tube from work

Yes it is a pain to weld but not half as bad as hot dip gal. im welding outside with 0.8 flux core wire at the moment so fumes dont really hang around all that much.

I got my dad a job as a truck driver at the place i work and he delivers / picks up jobs from the powder coaters all the time

he's made a friend down there so i wouldn't be suprised if my sim ends up powder coated black.

cheers

Ah cheers dude, didn't realise duragal was easier than standard hot dip, so I learnt something today.

Can't wait to see the end result and the work log, I thought your last rig was pretty cool all things considered, so a planned and purpose built one should be epic.

Cheers nukey im going for max epic factor this time, im also looking into doing a full motion sim down the track a bit , i looked into it and its a major headfuk.

one day

cheers

alright if you have the space

I've had in recent times a MOMO, and a G25, just bolted to a solid desk

haven't got the room for that

I had Bathurst down to 1.06 in V8 Supercars 3 if that's any help.......

;)

i usually have 2 desks 1800x900 for my pc setup but i had to give one to the missus to make enough room .

soon ill have a 'games room'

Geeeez ,i havnt raced bathurst in ages ill have to put that on my 'to get' list.

cheers

cheers

Ah cheers dude, didn't realise duragal was easier than standard hot dip, so I learnt something today.

Yeah mate its a shitload easier to weld duragal than hot dip stuff and its alot less noxious aswell.

iv had gal poisoning before from welding hot dip not a nice thing at all, wouldnt wish it upon anyone.

cheers

So there has been a slight change of plans...

I just got a new SAAS racing style seat and the mounts are different and it also came with its own slide rails.

Posted Image

at this stage im having to re-think and re-design all the major parts i thought i had down pat , hence no progress shots yet.

I did have a few cool bits turn up in the mail this week tho , 10'' actuator, handbrake and various electronics stuff (relays , switches ect ect)

Posted Image

considering geting another handbrake and making a sequential shifter :)

cheers

Allright... some progress...

I got stuck in over the w\e ,I put up a shade sail and then started fabricating

basic frame and seat mount ... dim sim the kitteh wanted in on the action.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Handbrake mount

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Basicly i completed the 'back end' over the w\e .Now i all i need to do is the gear shift mount, pedals, wheel, TV stand , fab a stand for 2 amplifiers, buttkicker mount . wow that looks like so much more in writing.

here's the pics anyways.................. Sorry about the piss poor quality of pics..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ps i'll put more words in laterz .....its dinner time :)

Dude, its been nearly a month! Hows this beast going?

Heh heh yeaah it has been a while , christmas happened

I have done a bit more work as the pics will explain . Its useable now but i still want to make everything adjustable .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Im still going to make a frame\mount for a tv, looking at a 42' + and still need somewhere to mount the yamaha home theatre amp and buttkicker amp.

I have been playing dirt 3 on the 55' in the lounge and its awsome so at the moment a 55' is the goal...

I decided to paint it now rather than later because the welds had a light surface rust and it was annoying me , besides any mods i make from here on in i can easily touch up the paint afterwards

i still havn't been able to get the handbrake to work iv been lazy and really need to look into it

cheers

Personally I'd have the rear speakers a bit further back from my head, but otherwise it's looking pretty good... it'll be interesting to see it with all the kit attached. :)

Personally I'd have the rear speakers a bit further back from my head, but otherwise it's looking pretty good... it'll be interesting to see it with all the kit attached. :)

Heh been a while sorry peeps iv been busy

yeah your right i should have made the whole thing a bit longer

But the yamaha home theater setup i use has a ypao function. Basicly its a microphone that you place where your head would be and the amp cycles through a series of sounds and automaticly adjusts the speakers to provide optimum surround levels.

in this long overdue installment i have pics of the joystick insides and how i wired it up to suit the handbrake.

This is the circut boards i removed from the logitech attack 3, Those yellow bits are the buttons

Posted Image

This is the back of a circut board showing the solder points i need

Posted Image

In this pic i have attached a few wires from an old cat5 cable so i can turn custom switch\contacts into the original joystick usb for the PC .

*note the shitty solder work--damn $5 soldering iron dosent get hot enough.

Posted Image

so now its possible for me to hook up my own switch panel via usb

Here's the handbrake all modified . Hydraulics removed and springs put in.

Posted Image

And this is how it sits at the moment. still yet to get a TV to go on it and fabricate a stand to suit

Posted Image

Oh i also picked up a 14' lcd that does power and data over usb to mount as a telemetry screen.

cheers

st8s

Edited by st8smn

Ok first things first , ^ thank you Ezkaton i took your constructive criticism on board and am very pleased with the outcome.

rear speaker stands now have roughly a 30* angle and look much better IMO

Posted Image

Over the last few days i have also made stands for BOTH amps

Posted Image

Buttkicker...

Posted Image

And home theater

Posted Image

I also fabricated a stand for the Yamaha sub

Posted Image

and insulated EVERYTHING that can make a noise with checkerplate foam

Posted Image

Now on to the 14" telemetry screen , I managed to fab a stand system that has no rattle from force feedback and holds the screen firm behind the wheel (sorry about the pic quality)

Posted Image

Posted Image

And finally a few snaps as it sits now (still without a tv or stand)

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have been toying with the idea of making a V8 out of clear perspex to mount the PC inside , money is a prob at the moment but i will post pics/ideas when i actually have something on paper

Cheers

st8s

Looking awesome St8sman. Really nice job, such a clean and tidy job. Very jealous. I bet that Sub mounted on the back there plus your buttkickers would give you a nice sensation. :p

Love the Lenovo screen too, have you got a link for where you bought that from?

So are you going to come back and race with us?

Looking awesome St8sman. Really nice job, such a clean and tidy job. Very jealous. I bet that Sub mounted on the back there plus your buttkickers would give you a nice sensation. :p

Love the Lenovo screen too, have you got a link for where you bought that from?

So are you going to come back and race with us?

Thanks mate ,I havnt had a chance to test it all out yet... i have tried with the sub or with the buttkicker not both.

I got the Lenovo screen from ebay for $115 posted i think there is 1 left

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-ThinkVis...=item460df8637d

up until thurs last week i have been flat out working, this is the first time in a month and a half i have turned on the gaming PC ,but now i got jewed and have no job anymore i may have some more time to invest in using this damn rig instead of looking at it ...Ill be in touch 'bout that

Ah, sorry to hear about the job mate, hope you can pick something else up pretty quick. that sucks.

But yeah, if you want, let us know if you can make it sunday nights, we have 1 spot free, and may have another couple open up in a couple of weeks.

Enjoy the rig.

Ok first things first , ^ thank you Ezkaton i took your constructive criticism on board and am very pleased with the outcome.

rear speaker stands now have roughly a 30* angle and look much better IMO

Hah, no problemo.

I always found it better to be more 'centered' when dealing with surround setups... having rear speakers too close is distracting. :)

All wired up and a box to hide the mess

Posted Image

Posted Image

And despite what the missus says I have decided I NEED one of these...

Posted Image

Cheers

st8s

And despite what the missus says I have decided I NEED one of these...

Posted Image

Cheers

st8s

Better get here a new washing machine or something to keep her sweet.

/runs.