nog

Adaptec RAID controller stuck when booting

Hi guys,

I'm going to be pretty brief because it's been "one of those days", but I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out here.

Today my gaming system locked up while exiting Hitman. After a restart, it was going through the POST and it hung on the RAID controller, I've forgotten the exact line, but it was trying to launch the monitoring software of the controller. I thought that maybe the whole thing was overheating as it was pretty hot in my office, so I took it out to my living room, opened it up, checked everything and let it cool down for a couple of hours.

The card was back to normal temps (to touch), so I dropped it back in and it still had the same issue. After about 30 seconds of it hanging, I took the controller out again and it was scorching hot, to touch.

The card is an Adaptec 3405. It's running a RAID 5 with 3 x 2tb Seagate Drives (Not Constellations).

It's had it's fair share of problems over the past 3 years, but nothing that bad. (degraded raid and such).

I'm thinking that it's just packed it in. Has anyone had this issue before, and know what what might be causing it, or if there is a solution?

I don't do a lot with RAIDs, but I'm thinking that if I buy another controller the exact same model, and plug it in, will it carry the existing RAID over? Would I have to re-initialise it, and is there any risk of loss of data?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Cheers,

John

You still buy those new. But they start around $400 ...

RAID cards can run hot and yes they can fry themselves.

Thanks Jeruselem, I have seen one listed online for $375.

It was pretty hot in here today and I had quite a few systems running, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's overheated. It's also wedged pretty tightly in between the sound blaster and psu.

Oh well, I guess I'll order one tomorrow and hopefully it'll work.

If I get the same model, do you know if I can just drop it in and it will work? Google seems to suggest it would work, but I don't really know much about RAIDs and what to do.

If you have the same model it should work. Adaptec are good they don't change their models very often.

Thanks for your help with this.

The new raid card is in and everything is up and running again.

Cheers,

John

See if you can move the raid card to another slot to give more colder air instead of being baked by the sound card and PSU.

Unfortunately it's the only available slot, it has the graphics card, revodrive, soundcard, then the raid controller.

hmm.. I might try and move the PSU though.

Thanks,

John

I've seen quite a few problems with raid controllers in servers not getting enough air flow and failing. Sounds like you probably have too much stuff in your PC and not enough cooling, see if you can rig up a fan to blow into the sandwich of cards you have in these slots. If your case has a side panel fan, even better, use it, but really it doesn't matter how ghetto it looks, you might need to do it. I've used stock intel coolers, removed from the heatsink for tasks like this to great effect, or any old 120mm fan should do.