jdm_com_au

Is a 6990 overkill for an X58 system?

Short story is I have found the limits of my 5870 on my gaming rig which is:

GA-X58A-UD3R

i7-950 @ 160x23

64 bit Win7 ULT with more than enough ram

Powercolor 5870

22" display @ 1920x1080P

I found that some games are just running too slow, so it's time for a GPU upgrade. I thought the 6990 might be a bit of overkill for the system, so I wanted a couple of opinions. No point spending $450 on a card if a much cheaper option will do the job.

You're probably better off with a HD7970. The HD6990 is slightly faster overall, but it's loud, hot and bulky. And if you overclock a 7970, it'll match if not exceed the HD6990 anyway.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

The ASUS 7970 is also $450. Some brands are a few bucks cheaper, but there is no guarantee I won't be buying a 2560 x 1440 monitor later. To be honest, I probably will get a bigger resolution screen when the prices drop. I think most of us would. :D

You can get a 27" 1440p monitor for about $300 delivered from ebay. And a 120hz version for about $4-500. I might get one soon because my monitor has a line down it.

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I found that some games are just running too slow, so it's time for a GPU upgrade. I thought the 6990 might be a bit of overkill for the system, so I wanted a couple of opinions. No point spending $450 on a card if a much cheaper option will do the job.

To answer that question, it's probably going to be a long time before your system will bottleneck any graphics card you throw at it.

To answer that question, it's probably going to be a long time before your system will bottleneck any graphics card you throw at it.

That makes the decision easy then.

me bets it won't be that long.....like last week

I kept my X58 for 3 years plus

the new one's much faster.......I just wish that there was something worth upgrading to........

Don't worry, I've got plenty of PC's to play with. From a first Gen i-3 with a 9500GT graphics to the twin 2011 socket Xeon beast I finished building a couple of weeks ago. I just need to upgrade this one a bit so I can play musical parts with a few of my other toys.

+1 to 7970 over 6990. A 7970 is as good or better than 2x 6970s(which are better than one 6990) especially once overclocked.

Also uses less power, smaller PCB, no issues with crossfire scaling etc.

The 7970 is more expensive than the 6990.

7970 is <$400 in many stores. You mentioned the 6990 was $450 in the OP.

Cheapest 6990 on static ice is about $600.

Tell us how much you're paying for the 6990?

Guest xyzzy frobozz

me bets it won't be that long.....like last week

I kept my X58 for 3 years plus

the new one's much faster.......I just wish that there was something worth upgrading to........

Eh?

So you upgraded from X58, and now your games run faster?

Really? Which games?

The 7970 is more expensive than the 6990.

7970 is <$400 in many stores. You mentioned the 6990 was $450 in the OP.

Cheapest 6990 on static ice is about $600.

Tell us how much you're paying for the 6990?

I just had a quick look at a couple of places in Melbourne. PCDIY has the 6990 for $449.

http://www.pcdiy.com.au/ad/Pricelist.pdf

I'm sure I saw the 7970 for $489 at one Melbourne retailer.

In any case, todays price is not relevant as I won't be buying it today.

I'm running a 6990 on a 950. So your exact target :)

6990 is not over kill. It's a pretty decent match up really.

However I run with a 30" monitor. And Hitman Absolution was and is the 1st game I've had to tone down some of the graphics options (from Ultra to High) for to get running smoothly. (Apart from games with PhysX rubbish)

So I've just seen the edges of what this card can do on a 30" panel. Maybe that helps give you an idea of life expectancy with such a card.

It's running @ stock atm though cause frankly it hasn't needed to be OCed to run everything with max settings above 30fps. Until now.

With a smaller monitor you'll get a longer life with it.

The card with a stock HSF, IS LOUD. I went with water cooling to take that out of the equation.

To be honest, the 7970 will be your better long term solution. Right now it'll power that size screen easily. If you upgrade screen, then you can get another card for some extra crossfire performance if and when necessary. And you don't have to worry about Crossfire quirks (not too much an issue these days). Besides it's only $40 more.

The CPU, yeah it is getting old but it still out does AMDs best offerings still (and that's before taking OCing into account). The next major CPU release Intel does I will likely look at upgrading to. Lots of power and heat savings to be had with the current ones plus they clock higher etc etc.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I'm running a 6990 on a 950. So your exact target :)

6990 is not over kill. It's a pretty decent match up really.

However I run with a 30" monitor. And Hitman Absolution was and is the 1st game I've had to tone down some of the graphics options (from Ultra to High) for to get running smoothly. (Apart from games with PhysX rubbish)

So I've just seen the edges of what this card can do on a 30" panel. Maybe that helps give you an idea of life expectancy with such a card.

It's running @ stock atm though cause frankly it hasn't needed to be OCed to run everything with max settings above 30fps. Until now.

With a smaller monitor you'll get a longer life with it.

The card with a stock HSF, IS LOUD. I went with water cooling to take that out of the equation.

To be honest, the 7970 will be your better long term solution. Right now it'll power that size screen easily. If you upgrade screen, then you can get another card for some extra crossfire performance if and when necessary. And you don't have to worry about Crossfire quirks (not too much an issue these days). Besides it's only $40 more.

The CPU, yeah it is getting old but it still out does AMDs best offerings still (and that's before taking OCing into account). The next major CPU release Intel does I will likely look at upgrading to. Lots of power and heat savings to be had with the current ones plus they clock higher etc etc.

+1

Awesome reply.

The ASUS 7970 is also $450. Some brands are a few bucks cheaper, but there is no guarantee I won't be buying a 2560 x 1440 monitor later. To be honest, I probably will get a bigger resolution screen when the prices drop. I think most of us would. :D

My GTX580 powers pretty much any game i want at 2560 x 1440. Worst case scenario i turn down the graphics settings to High or Ultra with less AA/AF. You don't need a 6990 for 2560 x 1440.

With that in mind the 7970 is faster than my GTX580 so you wouldn't have any problems at all should you buy into a higher res monitor.

Edited by smakme7757

The reason I didn't mention the GTX 580 is availability from my local retailers. The 6990 is much easier to get, ie: they have it in stock.

By my count it's 5 votes for the 7970, and 0 for the 6990.

The community has spoken. May you take heed of their wise words.

I thought the 6990 might be a bit of overkill for the system, so I wanted a couple of opinions. No point spending $450 on a card if a much cheaper option [EDIT: $200 - $300 card] will do the job.

By my count it's 5 votes for the 7970, and 0 for the 6990.

The community has spoken. May you take heed of their wise words.

The first point is that I wanted to see if the 6990 was overkill for my system, not whether a similarly priced card would be better.

The second point is that 3 days ago I said I wouldn't be buying it straight away. So if it happens that the 6990 is NLA when I'm ready to buy, this "vote" you spoke of would be pointless.

The third point is that I never stated what my budget will be. So if it happens that I only have a spare $200 when I'm ready to buy, this "vote" you spoke of would again be pointless.

The reason I didn't mention the GTX 580 is availability from my local retailers. The 6990 is much easier to get, ie: they have it in stock.

GTX580 havn't been in stock for months - Anywhere.

I used my own experience with my 580 as the foundation for my 7970 recommendation, because if my GTX580 can power my 27" screen then the 7970 wouldn't have any problems at all because it's newer and faster.

Maybe a 7950 unlocked to a 7970? The 7950s are a pretty good price.

Edited by smakme7757

The first point is that I wanted to see if the 6990 was overkill for my system, not whether a similarly priced card would be better.

Has been answered already:

"I'm running a 6990 on a 950. So your exact target :)

6990 is not over kill. It's a pretty decent match up really."

And you did say "if a much cheaper option will do the job"

That's where the 7970 came in.

7970's can be had from $359 which is a lot less than $450

http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi...lock&spos=1

The third point is that I never stated what my budget will be. So if it happens that I only have a spare $200 when I'm ready to buy, this "vote" you spoke of would again be pointless.

And so is asking if the 6990 is overkill. They won't be available for that price unless second hand.

From your OP "No point spending $450 on a card...".

That was the budget you'd given us up till this point so that's what we worked with.

If you prefer to only spend $200 then you should say. Hard to help when the target is moving. :)

If you were thinking of shelling out for a 6990, we've tried pointing out to you that the 7970 will do just as good a job for less money. Thus answering the OP.

The second point is that 3 days ago I said I wouldn't be buying it straight away. So if it happens that the 6990 is NLA when I'm ready to buy, this "vote" you spoke of would be pointless.

That's fine. But are you ONLY focused on the 6990? Or something in a $200 or $450 range to replace your current card?

If it's the 6990 you want, then get it. It will not be overkill and a nice match for your system :)

(Just beware they get LOUD)

The $449 for a 6990 seems like too good a deal when others are selling for $600+

http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi...lock&spos=1

Perhaps confirm with them it's correct and stock is available?

If you only want to spend $200-$300, then you're looking more at 7870 - 7950 type products.

If not buying straight away, perhaps ask when closer to actually wanting to buy something? You'll know your exact budget.

We can then let you know then if for the money it's a good deal or there's other better things to get.

FYI the vote thing was in fun. Sorry the text maybe made it seem otherwise. But you seemed wishy washy on what you wanted, so I tried summarizing what all the responses added up to. In that regard it was not pointless.

Edited by mark84