Morgoth

Looking at a new career

Forgive me for not giving every detail, but my current job of 5 ish years has come to a point where I need out, I'm in hospitality and I need a very different scene, my life is complicated and there's heaps of things, mostly mentally, that have held me back from furthering my education or switching jobs.

Long story short, my psychologist thinks one career that would suit me would be in banking, like I said, I'm not keen on sharing details, so now that's said;

Anyone here had a career in banking, if I head that way is probably be starting teller and work my way up, mind you this is scribbles on a napkin stage, I'd just like feedback from someone who has been in the industry, cheers.

so you're like rain man ?

banking would be far better than hospitality :)

seriously though, i guess the shift work associated with hospitality is draining (given my 3 decades as a shift worker of sorts), whereas banking is a traditional 9-5 gig, and much more potentially structured

my only experience with bankers is a good mate who was a merchant banker and now freelances as a "boutique" banker - sort of intermediary for $ deals - he seems to like it, and it pays way better than medicine, but as he puts it "a small% of millions (commission) is still serious money"

he has a good attitude too

viz his riddle : "what's the difference between a merchant banker and a wanker?"

one of them knows what they are doing

asked to describe his job :

"you wear a suit and tie, and smile and shake hands a lot, do some basic maths, and if it works out you get paid"

and if it goes bad ?

"plenty of other people to shake hands with..."

good luck; a change is always interesting :)

Good luck dude. The hostility industry is awful.

I hope you have better luck than me escaping. After sending out my resume to practically every entry level position outside of hospitality I got exactly zero callbacks. Whereas every single hospitality business replied desperately. >-<

It's a trap!

-X

The hostility industry

ICWATUDIDTHERE!

I couldn't suffer hospitality myself but that's because I don't like people. Hope you find something more suitable Morgoth.

Not been there, but have several friends that were bank tellers.

Banks really are "What you put in is what you get out" (HA!)

Most tellers are just there to earn a few bob and move on.

But those that are committed and show interest in finance and financial accrument will often find that they get offers to take up financial advisor courses. This may mean having to move to other branches or similar.

Banks can be a career or they can be that job to do whilst you work out what you want to do.

They can have their own share of internal politics, and you will have to be prepared to toe the company line even if you don't want to.

But each field has it's strengths and weaknesses. If you feel that hospitality isn't for you, then definitely give banking a go. Even if you find it's not for you, you can treat it as a "Few bob and move on" job. It'll give you more experience, and here's the really important part. Working in banks is a position of trust. That always looks good on resumes.

AD

Thanks,

I'm unsure on what I want to do long term but a teller job should pay a bit less than I'm on now, but I won't have to work 50 hrs / 6 days / weekends / 51 weeks a year for it.

I can't move up where I am now, like you say, a bank job may allow me advancement

Thanks,

I'm unsure on what I want to do long term but a teller job should pay a bit less than I'm on now, but I won't have to work 50 hrs / 6 days / weekends / 51 weeks a year for it.

I can't move up where I am now, like you say, a bank job may allow me advancement

Most customer service jobs be it in hospitality or otherwise tend to be a life drain.

Long hours, comparatively shitty money and career advancement is non-existent.

At least with the banking option you can always look at various finance courses over your time as a teller and you will shine like the fucking sun over and beyond everyone else in the position.

Yes, in my current job I don't have time or energy to do further study, late nights, weekends, being on my feet 50-60 hours each week, whilst bank tellers work with customers all day, I can't see it being any more draining than what I do now, and I'll have the bonus of time to do further study.

I'm on over 50k per year at the moment, I can afford a step down in pay for a while I think.

I'll study up on relevant info that would be expected for an interview, I may be getting ahead of myself here, but it's how I stay positive and focused.

Banking? You are a much better person than I am, my dear :-) I can't do those numbers things - I'm flat-out figuring out my tax :-p However... I feel I can relate, at least a little bit, to the things you have said about changing careers and finding one that fits - I recently quit my job to re-train in a completely different industry. It's certainly daunting but it sounds like hospitality is really getting to you as it stands... so... good luck! I really hope you can find something that you feel fits with who you are :-)

:)

I don't think numbers matter much any more in banking at the counter, it's all on those screens they sometimes turn to show you.

Speaking of which, you're an Atomican, thought about IT? Not terribly easy to get the first job, usually hell-desk but plenty of work as you gain experience (not that I am a good example, been looking for three months but what I do is a bit specialized.)

Banking is pretty good though I think, a few friends are in the industry.

Cheers

Coming from hospitality if you can can't get into teller work then try for a call centre if your good at playing politics.

Its an easy progression with much better hours and people who are serious about their job can get alot of benifit out of it.

Get your foot in the door with a big company and get noticed by the right people and you can progress quickly.

Perhaps with your experience in hospitality you could get a job as a receptionist or administration assistant and work your way into a higher position there that involves working with numbers or money. I went from bartender to front of house to administration at one place and then the admin experience got me a far better job elsewhere.