Sign in to follow this  
Smokie

Advice on new laptop

First up, I hope I have picked the right section of the forum to post this question.

My sister is heading off to Uni this coming year and would like to buy a laptop for her as a graduation+christmas+birthday present.

It has been ages since I have built a rig and even longer since I have looked at laptops. So I turn to the reliable collective knowledge of those here on this forum.

So essentially looking for the best bang for buck laptop. Looking for nothing over $1000; $600-$750 ideal. A 15" screen is a prerequisite, however I can assure you my sister will be doing very little gaming. Decent storage space, DVD drive, and i5 - i7 processor would be ideal.

Apart from the JB Hi-Fi's, Harvey Normans etc, is there any really good go-to places for well priced laptops?

Thanks in advance.

- Jason

dam that looks nice 15.6" 1080 ips room for two hdd and under 2kg

if you want something cheaper although i wouldnt as that screen will be worth every cent vs one with 768 res

centrecom has a toshiba $499 i5 8g 640g hdd

Thanks mudg3 for pointing out the LBO website. I like their ethos and way of doing business. Normally I direct people to Dell for low-cost laptops, especially when they are on sale. I've always had good luck with them (I know, some people haven't, but YMMV).

One point I'll make to the OP is to avoid Toshiba. Too expensive for what you get, loaded with bloatware, and it's nearly impossible to get manuals online for them.

Edit: speeling

Edited by Zzozzach

I know its a little over budget but I've seen this unit in fact I saw it 2 weeks ago when I was at LBO's show room as their owner is a close personal friend of mine but the laptop is fantastic for the price I was so close to going home with one but I've got a brand new Macbook air :(

Really its worth the extra money and that $200 goes a long way.

As we're getting close to christmas, all the retailers will be having massive sales on laptops, particularly windows 7 models they won't be getting any more of (obviously). If somewhere near you is having a Super Crazy Limited Weekend Sale or whatever, chances are you can pick up a below-cost windows 7 machine. Online pricing is often irresponsibly cheap as well, if you check retailers websites for any 'hot price!' deals or something, you will be onto a good deal there.