freakonaleash

Speakers, Mixers and such Gear

Hey there all

I was wondering if anyone could provide some feedback regarding a couple of sound questions.

I have some spare money and though i would invest in some gear but also wanna make it more useful than the one-off usage.

I was thinking of buying a set of PA speakers as i run a Lan and it costs to hire the gear every time we run. I am also interested in having a go at learning some basics of DJ'ing to see if i like it or if i can do it.

So my questions are

What are the best options for speakers to be used for sound in a hall, but also be able to use them around other places. I was thinking of something similar to http://www.digitalhome.com.au/Tvs_And_Home..._Speakers/21908 but am unsure if it's worth the money as there are a set of 12" for a lot less.

Also, would it be better of to get a set of unpowered speakers and an Amp?

I was also thinking of having a go at mixing/DJ so been looking for some gear to try with. Whats a good gear set up that isn't too expensive to learn on. Is there such a thing a s a MP3 deck that can connect with the PC so i can pull MP3's from it? or whats the best option? i found this at JB and it looks decent, but not sure http://www.digitalhome.com.au/Tvs_And_Home...aign=buy-button

Last question. Is there a difference to PA speakers and what some people call "Party" speakers"

Thanks

Stephen.

PA speakers for vox/speaking are different to what you'll want for music - especially djing.

Thats not to say you can't do both with the setup, but you'll end up paying the premium for bins that will give you a decent sound for djing. And if you don't end up following it through, its overkill for just P.A. work.

as for your setup, depends on how serious you are about it.

I cant suggest any brands to check out unfortunately, i've been half looking around for a pa solution, and each time i find something that'll fit the bill, i'm looking at paying many thousands for it. at which point, i generally think to myself "most places have their house system anyway!" and go and grab a beer instead.

Cheap speakers, say a thousand a pair and under, are usually pretty harsh. I would spend a bit more... if you are hiring them often they should cover themselves anyway. I can recommend JBL Eon speakers, ten or twelve inch, lots of kick for little speakers. I havent heard these but maybe listen to some Tapco speakers, same company as Mackie but budget.

http://www.musicexpress.com.au/mexpress/PA...tml?id=ZkYenqiD

There are so many levels of quality with PAs.

As for turntables, there are some mp3 midi controller turntables. I dont know much about them, but Behringer makes one that is fairly cheap, and can control mp3 mixing software like Traktor or whatever. Nothing like a turntable, presumably.

http://www.behringer.com/BCD3000/?lang=eng

I have no idea what the hell party speakers are.

Party speakers are just PA speakers. People call them party speakers because they often see them at parties and dont know what a PA is, so to them they are party speakers.

If youre doing music at home forget the PA. They're way too loud and boomy for home use in a bedroom, even if you have a large bedroom its not what they're designed for. Get some decent monitor speakers and if you decide to do parties hire some PA speakers. If it becomes a full time thing then look into buying some. however, for home just use monitor speakers... Actually with DJing its not as "technical" as creating music (I just mean you dont have to hear how certain frequencies are interacting etc just hear the track) so even an amp with speakers would be OK.

Get powered speakers.

Less mucking around.

Little mixers are cheap enough.

JBL, Mackie are good brands.

Plenty of cheaper alternatives though.

Active speakers aren't always more convenient, depending on where you have power. They can get pretty heavy too. Powered mixers can be useful, but they are rarely very powerful. Might suit this little situation though.

Active speakers aren't always more convenient, depending on where you have power. They can get pretty heavy too. Powered mixers can be useful, but they are rarely very powerful. Might suit this little situation though.

True.

A 400w powered mixer would be ample, I would have thought.