Sign in to follow this  
bowlen

Weird rotation when sending pictures (iPhone)

Something that I have known about for a while but never actually got around to looking into why it occurs. Why is it, that when I take a pic (at whatever rotation (which the iPhone picks up)) and then either email it to someone, or take it off my iPhone itself, some of them are rotated differently to how they were originally taken and how they are shown on the phone itself? An example would be taking a normal portrait style picture, and then emailing it and it seems to be automatically rotated to landscape (everything is 90 degrees rotated).

Just wondering why this happens and whether there is a way around it?

From what I remember, when the iPhone takes a photo, there is additional data stored (somewhere) which provides the orientation. The iPhone (and idevices in general including the AppleTV and iPhoto) understands this.

I have had this question a number of times from people who dump photos to say a NAS as home and look back on their TV and wonder why they are all messed up. There is a landscape orientation (I think) which, if you shot all your photos that way would work elsewhere.

I'd presume an "export" of some description - say if you were emailing or MMSing the photo should set a permanent correction but I honestly can't be sure. If you say emailing it off the phone doesn't fix it then you've got me stumped. I have never had this issue emailing photos from my phone.

From what I remember, when the iPhone takes a photo, there is additional data stored (somewhere) which provides the orientation. The iPhone (and idevices in general including the AppleTV and iPhoto) understands this.

I have had this question a number of times from people who dump photos to say a NAS as home and look back on their TV and wonder why they are all messed up. There is a landscape orientation (I think) which, if you shot all your photos that way would work elsewhere.

I'd presume an "export" of some description - say if you were emailing or MMSing the photo should set a permanent correction but I honestly can't be sure. If you say emailing it off the phone doesn't fix it then you've got me stumped. I have never had this issue emailing photos from my phone.

Well that does make sense! When sending or MMSing from the phone, the orientation is fine