Brock

Farcry 3?

Surprised there was no topic on this? The whole internet is raving about it... :P

Been playing it pretty much non-stop, took a break from Dishonored for it; absolutely loving it! Once I get my upgrade in a week or two I'll love it even more as running it on sub-30 FPS 100% of the time isn't too fun. :P

Things I like so far:

- The characters - everything about them. Voice acting, animations, personalities, humour. They suck you in. The main pirate has to be one of the best villains I have seen in a game in forever. He swings in and out of psychotic moods constantly and it seems so real.

- The gunplay - I love the feeling of the weapons. Heaps better than FC1 and 2.

- The world - it's massive, it's a little scary. Every time I enter a body of water I am on the edge of my seat. Sharks/Crocs can creep up on you at any time - they aren't overly difficult to kill, but just how they grab you instantly and put your head in their mouth while you jam it open with your knife is so fucking cool. The way you get around the world is also great. I find myself running/driving/hang-gliding/jetskiing around the world rather than fast travelling.

- The cut scenes. Normally I hate cut scenes. But I find myself loving these ones, mostly due to the characters and the animations I think. And the fact they're all rendered using the engine, no CGI stuff.

- Everything is animated. When you get in and out of vehicles, pick up that glider, open that door, pick that flower, skin that animal, loot that body. It really adds to the immersion.

- Multiple ways to take out the enemy, brute force or stealth. Sometimes I'll take an entire pirate outpost without making a noise or getting detected. Other times I'll load my jeep with C4, drive it into the camp at top speed, jump out early and then detonate it in the middle of 8 pirates. Best.

- FIRE. Playing with fire has never been so much fun. Set fire to a whole entire field of weed and watch as the fire spreads from one plant to the other.

- The sheer amount of things to do. All the mini games. Collecting relics/memory cards/lost pages/treasure, discovering the map, the side missions/quests.. I've played the game for 14 hours total so far and only completed 4 main missions, barely scratched the surface. Have only unlocked about 25% of the map too.

- Finally... The vehicles. They feel heavy. If you crash a car it feels like you crashed. They feel heavy(ish) to turn. They've handled the physics fairly well I think.

The bad things (they aren't really game breaking):

- Sometimes a little too easy. I am playing on the hardest setting. I do die. But mostly to tigers or panthers that manage to catch me by surprise. But due to the way the leveling system works, allowing to eventually unlock every single skill, you have so many things to use at your disposal that taking out pirates becomes a walk in the park.

- The fact that the main character Jason starts out being a noob who has never shot a gun in his life. And then NEK MINNIT he's taking out three pirates in 1.5 seconds with a single knife and wrestling crocs and great white sharks.

- The voice acting of the natives is terrible. They put a lot of effort into the main characters, but sometimes that poor attempt at a polynesian accent on the natives is really offputting. "Ey mit mi car's broiken doin cin ye hilp?"

- Weapons become free too soon. The only thing I find I spend my cash on is ammo refills and maps.

That's it really. A lot of hours can be put into this game, definitely worth playing. Also, enemies don't respawn like they did in FC2. WIN.

Cheers

A couple of hours in and loving it. Fab attention to every detail and free roaming do-what-you-want, when-you-want is great.

Hate the UI and menus though. Absolutely terrible design but not enough to drag it all down.

A couple of hours in and loving it. Fab attention to every detail and free roaming do-what-you-want, when-you-want is great.

Hate the UI and menus though. Absolutely terrible design but not enough to drag it all down.

Yeah you're not wrong, attention to detail is amazing.

Agreed with the UI, should have mentioned that in the cons. Really frustrating navigating the inventory etc.

Another thing I'll add is the fact you can craft in combat - taking a beating? Np just take cover and instantly craft up another health syringe, full life again. Stuff like that adds to how easy the game is.

I'm finding the game can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be though; that's the sort of freedom you have. Taking over outposts, you can go in with the best weapons gung-ho and easily take it over even if they set the alarm off, but if you choose to take it on stealth without guns, that's starting to become really difficult. Love that kind of freedom!

With the release of the WiiU and ZombiU taking up 14 hours of my gaming time over the weekend, I haven't had much of a chance to give FC3 a bash, however from what I have played, I agree with you on most of your pros (Bar the story related stuff, I haven't seen or played enough of it to make a comment yet) and the cons, 1 thing that annoys me is the game seems to look worse than Crysis in terms of lighting and shadows, the heavy use of SSAO also annoys the fuck out of me, as it makes things that dont cast shadows (like grass) look weird as shit.

Cutscenes look good most of the time, but yeah, the world graphics are dated, story is shit, main characters are annoying (villain aside, he's enjoyable).

But it's a good "pick up and play" kind of game for me I guess.

Edited by Ezkaton

With the release of the WiiU and ZombiU taking up 14 hours of my gaming time over the weekend, I haven't had much of a chance to give FC3 a bash, however from what I have played, I agree with you on most of your pros (Bar the story related stuff, I haven't seen or played enough of it to make a comment yet) and the cons, 1 thing that annoys me is the game seems to look worse than Crysis in terms of lighting and shadows, the heavy use of SSAO also annoys the fuck out of me, as it makes things that dont cast shadows (like grass) look weird as shit.

Haha, can't comment as I have AO turned off. BUT, I have heard people say this about it not looking as good as Crysis. I actually fired Crysis up to kind of compare them on the weekend, and I think FC3 looks better. If you mod Crysis then I'm sure it can look better, but vanilla, FC3 wins. Hoping FC3 will be moddable.

Cutscenes look good most of the time, but yeah, the world graphics are dated, story is shit, main characters are annoying (villain aside, he's enjoyable).

Yeah, can't say the story itself is very engaging, it's pretty cliche. I personally find the main characters enjoyable though, which is the main driving factor for me working on the story. I'm loving the fact that they're just every day people, well, apart from the fact that Jason turns in to a killing machine. That Dr. Reinhart or whatever his name is is an interesting character. And the man in the white suit reminds me a bit of a TV show character which I've been trying to remember, but it hasn't come to me yet :X

Is it as boring and repetitive as FC2?

That's really subjective, I enjoyed FC2 and didn't find it boring at all. I guess you could call it repetitive in the sense that you will be travelling the world unlocking radio towers to reveal the map, collecting items for achievements, taking over outposts, killing and skinning animals to craft stuff, collecting plants for crafting syringes for buffs etc. - but that's a game for you, any game is 'repetitive' if you think about it... There's more to do in this game than there is any other FPS game I've played recently. Kinda helps break it all up a bit. Edited by Brock

And the man in the white suit reminds me a bit of a TV show character which I've been trying to remember, but it hasn't come to me yet :X

Sonny Crockett, Miami Vice :D

Personally I'm loving it so far! Getting mobbed by a Komodo Dragon for the first time was insane, and totally agree on the shark in the water effect - I pretty much sweep the ocean with a camera every time I jump in now and spray MP5 rounds into the ocean while quoting Charles Darwin :D As for the other tourists on the island - they're meant to be spoiled douchebags you don't like so it kind of does its job.

Side-missions are a blast - I'm doing a snipe-and-clean-up run so those outpost takeovers and assassinations are always variable especially when you make a mad dash to the alarm to disable it in time - even more so when you don't make it and have to think on the fly for reinforcements coming. How repetitive the game is or isn't depends on you the player really. If you approach everything the same way, you'll find it repetative. If you mix it up, you won't. I even found the running-from-tower-to-tower entertaining as you always got sidetracked by things.

The good bits of FC2 are in as well - setting things on fire and the insane things you do to yourself are back. And they finally got hanggliders right! I love the sheer amount of ground you can cover with them, not to mention an awesome way to drop into a fight. Recurve bow is a personal favourite of mine too.

And was I the only one who found the 'torch the marijuana fields while dancehall rave music plays' to be crazy awesome?

And the man in the white suit reminds me a bit of a TV show character which I've been trying to remember, but it hasn't come to me yet :X

Sonny Crockett, Miami Vice :D

YES! Spot on :) thank you.

And was I the only one who found the 'torch the marijuana fields while dancehall rave music plays' to be crazy awesome?

Nope, I thoroughly enjoyed it, thought it fit the bill perfectly :D

Haha, can't comment as I have AO turned off. BUT, I have heard people say this about it not looking as good as Crysis. I actually fired Crysis up to kind of compare them on the weekend, and I think FC3 looks better. If you mod Crysis then I'm sure it can look better, but vanilla, FC3 wins. Hoping FC3 will be moddable.

Yeah, can't say the story itself is very engaging, it's pretty cliche. I personally find the main characters enjoyable though, which is the main driving factor for me working on the story. I'm loving the fact that they're just every day people, well, apart from the fact that Jason turns in to a killing machine. That Dr. Reinhart or whatever his name is is an interesting character. And the man in the white suit reminds me a bit of a TV show character which I've been trying to remember, but it hasn't come to me yet :X

Is it as boring and repetitive as FC2?

That's really subjective, I enjoyed FC2 and didn't find it boring at all. I guess you could call it repetitive in the sense that you will be travelling the world unlocking radio towers to reveal the map, collecting items for achievements, taking over outposts, killing and skinning animals to craft stuff, collecting plants for crafting syringes for buffs etc. - but that's a game for you, any game is 'repetitive' if you think about it... There's more to do in this game than there is any other FPS game I've played recently. Kinda helps break it all up a bit.

I find the shadowless grass to really ruin it, makes Crysis look more realistic overall, but then, I haven't set eyes on Crysis in a long time, maybe it doesn't look as good now as I remember.

Also, how do you turn AO off? Do you do it through your drivers or ingame? Because I only found an option to change between SSAO, HDAO and HBAO -.-

Dancehall rave? Lol

Sounded like dubstep to me. :p

Having relistened to the song, I reluctantly have to agree!

Skrillex seems to be in his element (ie: producing music that isn't total balls) working on songs that other people designed :P

Also, how do you turn AO off? Do you do it through your drivers or ingame? Because I only found an option to change between SSAO, HDAO and HBAO -.-

\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 3\GamerProfile.xml

Change SSAOLevel to 0. Once it's saved, make the file Read Only so that it doesn't get overwritten again.

Also, I've read that if you have an Nvidia card, the best AO method is HBAO, as SSAO is terrible, and HDAO is more optimized for ATI cards.

I was running SSAO at first, on a 7970. Then yeah, read that HDAO is better with ATI so switched to that. Can't see or feel any difference, but maybe it's more noticeable on less capable cards.

Also - how to disable depth of field and as a bonus pick up a few frames plus AA is improved.

It worked really well for me. MUCH better looking game now and a teeny bit smoother.

Have the new drivers, there's a very slight improvement tho I'm not running MSAA.

It's super smooth around 70fps for me, no stuttering. I have AF at 16x via CCC and that makes it look fantastic with no fps loss on my 7979 at least. I had everything as high as it would go and it was around 45 fps, then dropped water from Ultra to very high and geometry also down one and now it's beautifully perefect.

You all have to do the depth of field to false thing I posted above. It adds several fps and makes the game look heaps better too.

I'll give it a try today.

I find my FPS really drops after setting the AA to 8x. Seems to run pretty good on x4.

You can't get banned for editing the file can you? Just saw someone mention it on that forum linked.

I'll give it a try today.

I find my FPS really drops after setting the AA to 8x. Seems to run pretty good on x4.

You can't get banned for editing the file can you? Just saw someone mention it on that forum linked.

Try with MSAA turned off. It makes a massive diff in performance, and the game has some other background AA process that means you don't need MSAA at all. Especially after the depth of field fix, AA gets even sharper.

No idea about if that file edit affects multi.

How are you measuring FPS?

I'll give it a try.

Looks like there's a new update too.

Anyone finding this game to be inconsistent as shit in regards to framerates? In some spots I'll be pulling 70-80fps on ultra, 1920x1200, then ill look at the ground and it'll drop to 40, or I'll turn around and look in another direction and it'll drop to 40~. Other times, while I'm running around, it seems to stutter heaps and is really annoying. Also, frame rate is heaps lower with vsync on too, i was getting between 50-60 with it on, while i was getting 70-80 with it off, which means i should get a solid 60 with it on, but i dont -.-

How are you measuring FPS?

I'll give it a try.

Looks like there's a new update too.

Afterburner, though there's a 'display fps' or similar in the file I mentioned for the DOF edit which is set to 0 or off, so you could play with that. I also found that when you do the DOF thing it adds in a motion blur effect that isn't there with DOF on. Normally I hate that shit but this is totally usable and fine. The big thing is that if you're comfortably above 60fps and always stay in that zone, then this motion blur negates the tearing you get so there's no need for vsync.