Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Multiple hardware acceleration causes lockup

Anyone have any ideas on this hum-dinger?

I have 2 GPU's, a HD5770 and a, HD something? It cost me $30 and runs my extra 2 monitors (I have 4).

Now, I'm assuming its OpenGL thats locking my system hard.

Youtube "Flash Player" will hard lock the system every time. (HTML5 player wont)

OpenGL in VLC (I use openGL because direct3D\draw is usually in use on my game, on the other monitor) will hard lock the system 70% of the time.

If i'm running Direct3d\Draw (say, DOTA2), and open any openGL the system hard locks instantly.

it makes no difference which monitor its on.

Ive uninstalled all drivers, and reinstalled the latest.

It helped, took me from 100% lock every time to locking up about 75% of the time.

There are no events in event viewer, I've reseated the cards.

Overdrive is OFF due to the multi monitor flickering bug.

Anyone with ideas?

I'll just move to NVIDIA and never risk this again I think.

First step back into AMD since the late 90's, and this happens.

I have 2 GPU's, a HD5770 and a, HD something?

In Crossfire? or are you doing a test individually?

Also are you able to provide more info about your system?

Win7 64bit H.Premium, i7 920@4ghz-ish, 8GB g.skill heatsinked ram (underclocked, but timings tightened), on a DFI LanpartyJr T3H mobo.

all updates up to date.

They're in the same system, so crossfire. Though If i can disable that, I will. I don't need them to help each other.

How often it'll lock up:

Mixing decoding types (so GL and DX at once) = 100% lockup

VLC using Direct draw alone = 25% lockuo

Flash Player of Youtube (even with 'hardware Decoding' unticked in Flash options) = 85% lockup

Borderlands = 25% lockup

DOTA2 = flawless.

Warcraft3 = Flawless.

Bioshock 1 & 2 = Flawless.

Latest AMD drivers helped (its what got all the above below 100%), though the flawless ones never had an issue.

Edited by Master_Scythe

5770 are getting on a bit now how long have you had them and how long has there been a problem?

from all reports iv seen nvidia sli is worse than amd crossfire at the moment

single card there both about the same and fairly good with drivers

does it happen with only one card?

at what point does borderlands crash during startup or just in the middle of blwoing shit up

Edited by Dasa

I had crossfire 5770s for a while.. on my Q6600 and honestly never had any issues with the configuration, even BF3 beta ran fine. I replaced them in January but was using for about 2 years prior to that.

Sorry I can't be any more helpful than that.

crossfire works better with identical gpu's so maybe get another 5770, they are around $80 on ebay, if you cant find any, outbid jdog for mine

Can I disable crossfire then? how? I just needed another card to get all 4 monitors working.

With SLI i know i can run them independant. I didnt set up crossfire, so if its possible they're running alone..... ive never looked into it.

Boarderlands crashes at random times. Its rare, but when it does, its usually when its idle. Standing in a town, looking at a shop etc. Its never has locked up mid battle.

The system is also game stable if i max-out overdrive and put up with the known flickering issue on the other monitors. So I dont think the cards on its way out otherwise it wouldnt clock so easily.

and i was at work before, now i can check... its a HD5450, the other one.

I can run stress test benchmarks on all monitors and not get lockups. Its purely flash video, and open GL while playing a 3D game that I think we should focus on.

Its about time for a format, as i'll be adding an SSD. Also, while the cards may be a little old, they still run all the game I play on max res @ max quality, with low levels of AA and AF, so i'm not complaining.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Can I disable crossfire then? how? I just needed another card to get all 4 monitors working.

With SLI i know i can run them independant. I didnt set up crossfire, so if its possible they're running alone..... ive never looked into it.

Boarderlands crashes at random times. Its rare, but when it does, its usually when its idle. Standing in a town, looking at a shop etc. Its never has locked up mid battle.

The system is also game stable if i max-out overdrive and put up with the known flickering issue on the other monitors. So I dont think the cards on its way out otherwise it wouldnt clock so easily.

and i was at work before, now i can check... its a HD5450, the other one.

I can run stress test benchmarks on all monitors and not get lockups. Its purely flash video, and open GL while playing a 3D game that I think we should focus on.

Its about time for a format, as i'll be adding an SSD. Also, while the cards may be a little old, they still run all the game I play on max res @ max quality, with low levels of AA and AF, so i'm not complaining.

In CCC under gaming or performance tab should be a crossfire tab if its allowing you to cf a 5770 and 5450, it shouldnt be automaticly crossfireing the two cards, if it is disable it.

I ran into the same issue with 6970 & 6670 installed in the same system, with the 6670 driving 2 extra monitors while gaming on the 6970, whats happening is windows is using your primary GPU to render the additional screens and using the 2nd card's framebuffer to output the image to the screens, but sometimes crashes or BSOD when it sends a rendering call to the 2nd gpu which is meant for the 1st (or in fallback mode... the CPU) but gets sent to the 2nd when gpu1 is at max capacity rendering a game, which gpu2 isnt aware its framebuffer is in use by the 1st card writing to it, there was a windows update for the rendering stack that mostly fixed the issue, but it requires flash/your browser/drivers to be a certain revision or higher.

tldr: so update everything or reinstall with the lastest version for everything,

ill try to dig up the specific windows update that address this issue if i can find it again.

every windows update is applied, every update is applied.

Rolling back to flash 10.0 helps too, but doesnt fix it. Its not @ the latest update.

Crossfire is not an option; so I guess no, they're running independently.

I think its time to switch to NVIDIA and reformat me thinks.

try reformat before you bother buying new cards its probably just a software problem related to flash may or may not be a compatibility problem between it and current drivers

you havent said how long you have been running this setup

since you didnt even know what model card it was im guessing its been working fine for some time up until recently?

Edited by Dasa

every windows update is applied, every update is applied.

Rolling back to flash 10.0 helps too, but doesnt fix it. Its not @ the latest update.

Crossfire is not an option; so I guess no, they're running independently.

I think its time to switch to NVIDIA and reformat me thinks.

I just checked, the update was rolled into SP1, its an interesting problem.

personally id reformat windows with your primary card only phyiscally installed, install drivers for it, then physically install the 2nd card, run the same setup program from your C:\AMD\ folder, then install your lastest up to date favourite browser, then install the lastest version of flash and vlc and see if it still does it, if it does, then switching to nvidia *might* solve your problem, fingers crossed it does

Yeah, its been going OK for about 4 years now. Its well overdue for an SSD and a reformat.

Just half way through a case mod and dont wanna disassemble and rebuild untill the mods done.

I think thats where I'm left too....