Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
TheSingularity

Help, please HDD seems to have died

Hi...,

So last night for whatever reason our laptop decided to turn itself off. Ever since then it has stalled at the windows logo (splash screen) and doesn't get passed there. I've tried safe mode, I've tried repairing the files. I've tried booting a live linux variation (Fedora) which wouldn't install because the HDD format wasn't supported. I've tried using Gparted to make a new partition but that also couldn't find the HDD it kept scanning for scanning /dev/sda/ partition.

Now I've moved the HDD to my computer and connected it up and whenever I try to open the HDD it stops responding. I can see the OS partition on the HDD and the other partition although the other partition (that was already on the system) doesn't tell me it's size and how full it is.

At this point all I want to do is get the Windows 7 CD key off it as I have another laptop HDD that is brand new sitting around from another laptop that decided to break on us twice once with the HDD then with the screen. So I am willing to just install Windows 7 on a new HDD but I can't find/access the goddamn CD key from the bloody HDD that has died. I've tried Produkey which also shits itself whenever I am it at the HDD in question.

So any ideas on how I can repair it?

Could it actually be some fucked up virus that destroys your HDD. See it isn't my laptop I barely even use it, it is the families laptop and I'm not sure what viruses could possibly be on there if any. I'm just the guy that fixes it (the tech guy of the house).

So yeah...Any help is appreciated.

If I can also eventually get access to the files that would be great too as I'm sure there are photos on there that I wanted.

Thanks TheSingularity.

Edit: I now have the Windows 7 key. Just would like to be able to access the HDD to get photos off. Thanks to Dasa.

Edited by TheSingularity

Have you tried putting the HDD in the freezer for 20 - 30 minutes?

That's I guess my last option and the plan in a couple days. Once I know exactly what is wanted off it. As I understand this is a last attempt as it fucks the HDD afterwards...

That's I guess my last option and the plan in a couple days. Once I know exactly what is wanted off it. As I understand this is a last attempt as it fucks the HDD afterwards...

Nope the freezing trick of itself does not stuff the drive, but it is only useful if the problem is a sticking bearing or possibly a stuck drive head.

What happens is the drive is nearly foobar and freezing loosens the tolerances on bearings and such like so you sometimes get a few minutes of use before the drive warms up again and freezes. As repeatedly doing this puts more and more load on already failing components then eventually it will totally lock solid. Just remember if you try it to put the drive in several freezer bags with some paper towel to stop moisture forming on the drive.

Leave in the freezer for at least 4 or 5 hours then you have to work quickly to get any data before the drive warms up again.

If the data is important then best to send it off to a data recovery company rather than stuffing around with the drive.

The more you try to recover data the lower the chance of anyone else being able to do it. So you need to make a decision on how important the data is. Very important? Then stop right now and organise a professional data recovery service.

Nice to have but not spending money on it? Then keep trying.

I have used http://www.recoverdata.com.au/datarecovery...ecoveryfees.htm twice for customers and both times recovery was successful.