New Build, need memory help

Building new gaming system. So far have bought the following

Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 M/board

Intel I7-3770k processor

ASUS GTX 670 DC2T Video card

WD 1TB Velcorapture drive

Crucial 128gb M4 SSD

Win 7 premium OEM

Im up to buying ram. Again I want the fastest. I was just about to buy some DDR3-2400 when the salesman told me that going for DDR3-1600 would be faster (same brand).Is this correct?

Also any info on brand preference, reliability, etc would be appreciated.

Would 32GB be enough ram for games or should I go to 64GB.(pricey as hell and not much around)

Im up to buying ram. Again I want the fastest. I was just about to buy some DDR3-2400 when the salesman told me that going for DDR3-1600 would be faster (same brand).Is this correct?

Would 32GB be enough ram for games or should I go to 64GB.(pricey as hell and not much around)

Had to laugh when I read this bit.. what he probably meant was that you won't notice any difference between DDR3-1600 and DDR3-2400 but there certainly is one, the 2400 would be faster in any application which can take advantage of that. There are not many. If all you do is play games you don't need super fast RAM. Also 8GB is more than enough for games, 16GB would be overkill but sufficient to future proof.. please tell me why you think you need 64GB of RAM and what game is going to use it...

I assume you're trying to build a powerful machine so let me offer a few other suggestions, drop the GTX670 for a 7970 which is cheaper and faster in every way. Do you really need an SSD and a 1TB raptor drive? I would say drop the raptor, they are loud and annoying and much slower than any SSD.. get a 7200rpm drive instead. I would get a Samsung 830 120GB drive instead of the Crucial but that's just from all the good things I heard about them.

Why do you need that motherboard? Did you just pick the most expensive stuff you could find. For your build.. I can't see any advantage over a $150 board.. Save yourself $300, use it for a second video card, you'd get an actual performance increase.

Had to laugh when I read this bit.. what he probably meant was that you won't notice any difference between DDR3-1600 and DDR3-2400 but there certainly is one, the 2400 would be faster in any application which can take advantage of that. There are not many. If all you do is play games you don't need super fast RAM. Also 8GB is more than enough for games, 16GB would be overkill but sufficient to future proof.. please tell me why you think you need 64GB of RAM and what game is going to use it...

I assume you're trying to build a powerful machine so let me offer a few other suggestions, drop the GTX670 for a 7970 which is cheaper and faster in every way. Do you really need an SSD and a 1TB raptor drive? I would say drop the raptor, they are loud and annoying and much slower than any SSD.. get a 7200rpm drive instead. I would get a Samsung 830 120GB drive instead of the Crucial but that's just from all the good things I heard about them.

Why do you need that motherboard? Did you just pick the most expensive stuff you could find. For your build.. I can't see any advantage over a $150 board.. Save yourself $300, use it for a second video card, you'd get an actual performance increase.

+10

everything that p0is0n has said is good advice

For Ram G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB I just dropped this into my new rig, very good ram for the money ($49) PCCG Link

you really dont need anything above 1600/8Gb for every day use and gaming, 2400 ram would be a total overkill.

Edited by dishd