SquallStrife

Spamswers

The captcha used here doesn't use those wonky images which are harder to read by bots.

And impossible for humans to read lol.

Agreed , so how do you tell the difference between a "m" and "r" ,"n". When they put the captcha's so close together.

There's something called a refresh button. I'd highly recommend it if you can't...you know...read?

The captcha used here doesn't use those wonky images which are harder to read by bots.

And impossible for humans to read lol.

True dat.

By the way, this isn't PCTA's fault. It's more to do with the fact that bloody iPB can't upgrade the forums!

It's all PC&T Authority's fault.

Reading all the posts before this one I had the exact same thought myself... then had to chuckle seeing this.

Saw a few this morning and reported, up at 5am ready to report sir!

Edited by drawesome

By the way, this isn't PCTA's fault. It's more to do with the fact that bloody iPB can't upgrade the forums!

you say that BUT there appeared to be very little spam before this forum was linked to from the PCTA website.....

Yes, but before then we had a weird, co-mingled registration system with the Atomic front-end and the forum. Removing that is what's lead to the increase in spam.

Is there a reason we can't entangle them again using the PCTA front-page credentials? Assuming it just shared Atomic's Disqus account registration.

Can't we just re-enable that as it is just code that's built in?

Yea I have seen it everywhere, but the windows forum is certainly a favourite.

We're looking at that, but I'm not sure how we'd sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

Without wanting to sound like a facetious dick, how annoying is the spam for users? Most of it is easily seen for what it is before you even click on the threads, and while it's annoying when big walls of advertising text appear in other threads, it's just a matter of scrolling past it.

It looks bad, but is it anything more than a principle-based annoyance?

Is making new accounts need to be approved by mods worth the ire it'll cause, and the potential to stop new people posting and wanting to join the community? I mean, straight up, it's easy to look at things like the email address used to join up (for the mods with the right privs), but how do we judge who's a legit new member and who isn't? How jibberish sounding the username is? If that was the litmus, we'd probably already be down a few members of the community who do post a reasonable amount and contribute to the vibe of this place.

Edited by Nich...

I'm reporting whatever post I see that looks like SPAM or BOT worthy, at least with it flagged someone else can make the judgment call of those that seems a little legit and not as blatant as the latest have been.

The russian ones are easy, the advertising english ones are easy to spot, but there have been a few that have me wondering if its an actual user... I'll report them if I think it is, and the mods/whoever can take those for whatever and apply action.

Edited by drawesome

It looks bad, but is it anything more than a principle-based annoyance?

Primarily - in my case at least but there are two other factors for me.

1: Keeping the life of the Moderators as hassle free as possible. They don't get paid after all. I know that authorizing new accounts would add to the workload, but it may be less work than cleaning up the bot crap. As I said, it was only a suggestion to those in the know.

2: Spam filled forums don't look good to anyone considering joining. It gives the impression of neglect . We know the mods are doing a good job but would someone new to the forums?

Without wanting to sound like a facetious dick, how annoying is the spam for users? Most of it is easily seen for what it is before you even click on the threads, and while it's annoying when big walls of advertising text appear in other threads, it's just a matter of scrolling past it.

But now they are migrating to posting in threads which is even more irritating. See a unread post icon in a thread I have an interest in only to find the new post is complete spam is fucking annoying.

3 months ago we were posting about the forums dying and lack of content....well they are alive and well and now we have content !

Find the silver lining people.