Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Oh Noes who cut the Line

I am deaf and cannot use a phone this is my main issue. On the 28th i get my connection terminated by Telstra and this technician knew i had hearing issues and told me to contact my isp myself and get reconnected. The problem was that i was having major issues staying online and my ISP would not do anything ,so i had to contact telstra and this how i they resolve the issue. Secondly they told me that ISP port where in such a poor state that Other isp's where being affected too ,this why he had to terminate my connection.

Ever since the 28th of November i have been without a connection and my father become so worried for me because i was under a lot stress and not sleeping. So my Father put his foot down and told Telstra to fix the mess they put me in on Monday ,so today i am now back online. I was being blamed on 2 sides for this issue and both side said it was not my fault.

What i want to ask is how can i communicate with anything if my connection goes down again? I cannot use a phone for hearing issues.

Was thinking about a device like a ipad but they are so expensive ,all i really need is a email connection so i can contact someone.

any idea's would be most appreciated. Life without the internet really sucked for me.

That's poor by Telstra. Your ISP is not responible for the phone line, that's Telstra since it's obvious it was a Telstra line in the first place. And the state of the Internet at your place is probably due to crap phone lines.

How about a cheap or second hand smart phone - it would give you a backup internet connection (wifi/USB tethering), and allow you to send/receive email/txt.

Otherwise, I'd consider getting a pre-paid USB 3G modem - then if you end up cut off, you can activate it for $20 to get you back email for a month.

I live in Adelaide ,about 5-7 miles from the CBD.

Really feel so glad my connection is back ,just need to lower my blood pressure now as it is up so high.

So much for asking Telstra to fix my lines under Medical priority assistance too.

Do you have other methods of contacting emergency services? (eg. 106 with teletype)

Did you have any method of contacting emergency services?

AD

Do you have other methods of contacting emergency services? (eg. 106 with teletype)

Did you have any method of contacting emergency services?

AD

That was my main concern if my father who is 86 had a heart attack i would not be able to do anything. Not having any hearing i stay away from phones and techno gadgets.

Sorry to hear of all the issues you've had Code, thats piss poor by telstra...

I would get a pre-paid smart phone, most PP plans have at least 400mb of internet for you to use, i just set my daughter up with a Samsung Ace, $129 on a $30 Pre-paided plan, $200 worth of txt and calls and 500 Mb per 30 days, the Ace has full net axcess via 3g and can be used via a usb as a moden for your main Pc.

Edited by dishd

Yes least 400MB, I'm on 1.5GB per month on my plan and I'm close to wiping out all my quota at the moment.

Yeah man, just grab either a prepaid smart phone and use that to send/receive emails, or go grab yourself a prepaid 3G stick and activate it when you need to use it, that way you get to keep the included credits, whenever a prepaid 3g sim runs out, it will keep re-directing you to the ISPs website to buy more credit, so even if it runs out of data, you can still easily and quickly put more on it.

Did you have phone service during this time?

I suppose the question is:

Could you have picked up a phone, dialled triple 0 and said over and over "I am deaf and can't hear. I need an ambulance at *blah* for *blah reason*" Just keep repeating.

AD

Did you have phone service during this time?

I suppose the question is:

Could you have picked up a phone, dialled triple 0 and said over and over "I am deaf and can't hear. I need an ambulance at *blah* for *blah reason*" Just keep repeating.

AD

I did have a dial tone on my line ,yes i could have contacted 000. Issue i cannot hear to understand any questions. What i have learned is that society either think of 2 things when it comes to deafness either you are fully deaf or have hearing. This made me particularly angry and my Father who was dealing for me. No one seemed to understand deafness is like a volume knob it can vary differently for each person.

Might go into some store tomorrow and check these devices out for myself. Was also thinking a cheap laptop with a 4G device attached for emails.

Thanks for the help and tips so far ,guys.

i have high-frequency deafness. Not too bad. But it's things like if people start talking to me and are behind me, I don't hear them. My brother is worse.

However, at the end of the day, you have a disability and you need to work with it. I feel that if you dial 000 and start saying "I need an ambulance at <blah> I suffer deafness and can't hear you properly" And repeat that over and over, you will get the message across.

You *SHOULDN'T* have to do that. Not in the least. But survival is about adaption.

-------------------------------

MORE RELEVANT!

When you look at data connections ask about expiration of credits. Nothing worse than having your credits expire every month used or unused. There are many which cost a little bit more where the credits never expire. Worth looking into if you think you'll never use them. (Or hope to never use them)

AD

I've met and had a good chat with Gerrard Gosens (famous blind guy) and he has some sort of text-to-voice/voice-to-text set up on his computer. I am sure there would be something similar you could use for telephones, where the phone audio is connected to some form of audio capture for the PC and converts to text.

i have high-frequency deafness. Not too bad. But it's things like if people start talking to me and are behind me, I don't hear them. My brother is worse.

However, at the end of the day, you have a disability and you need to work with it. I feel that if you dial 000 and start saying "I need an ambulance at <blah> I suffer deafness and can't hear you properly" And repeat that over and over, you will get the message across.

You *SHOULDN'T* have to do that. Not in the least. But survival is about adaption.

-------------------------------

MORE RELEVANT!

When you look at data connections ask about expiration of credits. Nothing worse than having your credits expire every month used or unused. There are many which cost a little bit more where the credits never expire. Worth looking into if you think you'll never use them. (Or hope to never use them)

AD

My hearing subsided when i was 26 years old i went to tests in the RAH in Adelaide. They found my bones where growing over the stirrup and hammer and causing my deafness, my left ear has lost most of its hearing. My right ear was operated on and i had a stapedectomy they removed the hammer and stirrup and replaced with Stainless steel ones. Over the last year my right ear is now failing me badly thinking since the operation in 1987 the bones may be growing again and causing my deafness. i use big speakers on my PC to throw the sound out and it annoys my Father too as he can hear them on the other side of the house.

I suppose i probably also developed a phobia against phone usage ,i am fed up asking people to repeat themselves. If i tell them i am deaf they start yelling at you ,wtf?

Credits are they like Free time for each month? After you go over a certain amount you have to pay for the usage.

Looking at the smartphone samsung galaxy s3 but not sure about plans. trying to stay away from telstra but it seems the good plans are with them.

Might look at one and see what they can do.

I've met and had a good chat with Gerrard Gosens (famous blind guy) and he has some sort of text-to-voice/voice-to-text set up on his computer. I am sure there would be something similar you could use for telephones, where the phone audio is connected to some form of audio capture for the PC and converts to text.

I have seen those they are called TTY devices for the deaf .Think you need to be totally deaf to qualify for one of those devices.

You might be stuck with sodding Telstra for 3g/4g(LTE) as they have the best coverage in Australia.

Credits are your "If you spend $X month you get $y calls and ZGbytes data"

There ARE plans where you say "I give you $x and they say 'ok you have y minutes calls and z GBytes data regardless of when you use it'".

So it could be a $25/month thing or a $40/usage thing. Yes, more expensive for same amount. But the 2nd is a 'standby' thing.

SO if you only use the data once every 12 months, then it's $40 for 12 months. If you only use it once every 12 months on a monthly plan of $25 then it's $300 for the just-in-case.

That's why I'm asking. Is it a standby thing, or is it something you'd use as well

AD

Credits are your "If you spend $X month you get $y calls and ZGbytes data"

There ARE plans where you say "I give you $x and they say 'ok you have y minutes calls and z GBytes data regardless of when you use it'".

So it could be a $25/month thing or a $40/usage thing. Yes, more expensive for same amount. But the 2nd is a 'standby' thing.

SO if you only use the data once every 12 months, then it's $40 for 12 months. If you only use it once every 12 months on a monthly plan of $25 then it's $300 for the just-in-case.

That's why I'm asking. Is it a standby thing, or is it something you'd use as well

AD

Probably just standby for now.

I have this horrible feeling you might be on TPG, who long ago bought the ISP, Chariot, that I once was CTO of. Chariot bought a lot of ISPs around Adelaide which gave me a lot of grief because many were on dreadful dial-up lines, not sure why except they were offering very cheap access and the owners were not terribly service oriented.

I cleaned that up, but I hear since TPG took over service as in support has deteriorated again.

The Galaxy S3 is a good 'phone, have one myself and my wife is looking into one. Optus and several resellers of their network have ok deals on them but be careful of plans as AD has described.

Sorry to hear about the deafness, I have slowly deteriorating hearing but nothing serious and I totally understand your irritation with how people respond to it. At least you are under the care of a great hospital, they look after my mother for leukaemia, my wife's father was an intern there, his pic is still on the wall. (Just to toss in some useless information :) )

Cheers

I have this horrible feeling you might be on TPG, who long ago bought the ISP, Chariot, that I once was CTO of. Chariot bought a lot of ISPs around Adelaide which gave me a lot of grief because many were on dreadful dial-up lines, not sure why except they were offering very cheap access and the owners were not terribly service oriented.

I cleaned that up, but I hear since TPG took over service as in support has deteriorated again.

The Galaxy S3 is a good 'phone, have one myself and my wife is looking into one. Optus and several resellers of their network have ok deals on them but be careful of plans as AD has described.

Sorry to hear about the deafness, I have slowly deteriorating hearing but nothing serious and I totally understand your irritation with how people respond to it. At least you are under the care of a great hospital, they look after my mother for leukaemia, my wife's father was an intern there, his pic is still on the wall. (Just to toss in some useless information :) )

Cheers

I am on Internode i was caught in the middle of issues from both Node side and Telstra. Either way i am glad its over.

You know when i went back to RAH the doctor who operated on me said the operation i had was still being treated as in the early days. Worst thing i hated in hospital is when they had me stay lying flat and i was not allowed to sneeze. So the Nurse washed me down every 2 hours and i had to eat food that was like rubber ,it was so chewy you could bounce it off the wall. Glad a Nurse put my food in a blender and tested all food before i ate it ,so i would not put pressure on my jaws.

Hmm,

That's very unusual for 'node.

Some operations they can't really improve on much I guess, but yeah, I hate hospitals with a passion, not least the food.

Cheers

What about a IPAD for $498 and a Node Sim for $19.95 a month. This sounds cheaper in the long run.

Most phone plans are very expensive and have options i do not need.

What about a IPAD for $498 and a Node Sim for $19.95 a month. This sounds cheaper in the long run.

Most phone plans are very expensive and have options i do not need.

Why do you need an actual device for backup internet?

If you're only going to be using it in an emergency and you have no real reason to buy an ios/android device, then the simplest thing would be to grab a pre-paid 3G dongle from coles or safeway and just leave it until you need it, then activate it when its actually needed, that way you put down like $100 on the dongle and forget about paying anything else until you actually have to use it and run out of data, then you just add your credit card and recharge.

If you really must have some form of device like a tablet or phone, take a look at some of the cheaper android offerings, you can get some pretty decent smartphones with android for under $100 with prepaid sims these days too.

Edited by NukeJockey

wifi hotspot. Grab an unlocked 'Next G' one from ebay.

Then you sign up with PennyTel

https://www.pennytel.com.au/penny-sim/plans/go-global

$8 a month, 1GB, using Vodafone network.

Dont cringe, since going to 850mhz vodafone is amazing (assuming they cover your area).

Works out to about $50 for a modem, and $8 a month for 1GB.

Though at $50 you may be able to find an older smart phone that does tethering, and grab an assistance app for a backup to what i'm going to suggest below.

May I make a suggestion? Just like when my eyes were at their worst, and I had to colour code EVERYTHING, may I suggest you buy a $20 battery operated, tape driven, voice recorder? And have a friend record you a "My name is X, I am deaf, this is a recording, I need an Ambulance at X Address"

Put all 3 tapes on the wall, ambo, fire, police, and have the tape player ready to go. Replace the batteries every time you do your smoke alarm batteries.

apparently this will do hotspot:

http://dicksmith.com.au/product/EM5147/vod...echarge-voucher

Ditch the vodafone recharge and grab a pennysim for the data.

The ONLY reason i recommend a CHEAP contract over a prepay is because if the prepay expires and you forget, you're STILL up shit creek.