GTAV6

HDMI for audio only?

I have a brand spanking new Marantz NR1403 (along with new Jamo 5.1 speakers), but I'm wondering how best to hook it up to my PC... I've gone this way deliberately in order to have True HD when I'm watching a Blu-ray, instead of being limited to just dts with my current Logitech Z5500.

However -

Should I simply use HDMI from PC > AVR > display? While this is supposed to be the ideal setup, I've read that Windows might get its knickers in a knot when using this connection method, and treat the AVR as a second display - and you can lose your cursor when it moves off screen towards the other (non-existent) 'screen'... I would've thought this shouldn't happen, as the AVR has an HDMI pass-through, but this is Windows we're talking about :o)

My other two options, unless there's an even better third one, is to either use an HDMI splitter (although I think the potential 'dual-screen' issue might rear up again with this?), or connect PC > AVR via HDMI and PC > display via DVI-D. Using either of those means you lose the AVR's OSD (but that may not be the end of the world).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Edited by GTAV6

errr, how much stuff comes out on True HD and can you hear the difference between that and DTS on PC sized or any home speakers for that matter? :)

Anyway, I would have thought option one should work fine. I'd be going for option one as it's the cleanest install and you already have all the bits, right?

Just do it :)

Just do it :)

My favorite three words :o)

Yep, got all the bits. 'course, the cheapest option probably would've been to simply get the wax sucked out of my ears :o)

Actually, all this has come about more because of having my room completely redecorated (starting early next year), which will include recessing the speakers into my walls - hence the new Jamo A200 slimline satellites. And, because they need an amp, the Marantz became a necessary upgrade.

As for hearing the difference (sans earwax or otherwise), I'll have no idea until everything is in place. I suspect I'll pick the difference between the old and new speakers long before dts and True HD - once upon a time I'd have picked this sort difference without hesitation, but I've been out of the game for far too long. Now, I know just enough to realise how ignorant I am...

when running hdmi sound to a amp that supports passthrough along with my monitor though a separate output there is a second ghost screen that the mouse can be lost it it can be a annoying in old games to

you can reduce the problem by inverting the screen and making it very low res then sticking it up the top or bottom of the screen where you dont send the mouse very much

i cant use hdmi passthrough as my monitors are over 1920x1080 so im not sure if the same problem still exists when using it

I use HDMI pass through at 1080 and dont get any issues, only issue i had previously was when using hdmi for video and optical for audio windows would freakout and change the default audio device randomly (from coax/optical to anything not connected e.g. 3.5mm)

i cant use hdmi passthrough as my monitors are over 1920x1080 so im not sure if the same problem still exists when using it

That might be more of a problem for me, as I'm planning on upgrading my Dell 2408WFP to a U2713HM...

As for the 'ghost' screen, that's pretty much what I'd decided to do - minimal resolution and plonked up diagonally off the top-left corner.

Whatever happens, it'll be an interesting exercise :o)

Why not just setup the 2nd screen as a mirror of the first? Then there is nowhere for the mouse to disappear to.

Because it never occurred to me, that's why...

That could be the solution - thanks for that :o)

Why not just setup the 2nd screen as a mirror of the first? Then there is nowhere for the mouse to disappear to.

only works if you can set the hdmi output to the same res as the monitor

i wasnt able to do that with my amp but maybe newer ones supporting later revisions of hdmi can allow over 1080 pass through in which case you could just use hdmi to the monitor

Edited by Dasa