Sign in to follow this  
chickzor

Weird networking problems

Hey guys. Got a really REALLY annoying problem. Just replaced our modem, and got some really really F***ING anoying problem.

4 computers.

Mine = Vista + cabled

Brothers = XP + cabled

Mums = XP + wireless

Dads = XP + cabled

The modem is a Netgear DG834G. I installed it, got it connected to the net, the modem says its connected to the net, but none of the computers had any internet connection. After some harsh words to the modem, I gave it a factory reset, still nothing.

Jumped on my machine, it worked with a Static IP (192.168.0.5, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.0.1) and it connected fine. But then went back to dynamic, and it changed its IP to 192.168.0.100, 255.255.255.0 and no Gateway. I jumped on the network and sharing center, and went to repair it, and it worked, it connected onto the net fine with a dynamic IP.

Mums computer already connected without a problem at all for some reason. :S

Tried the other XP machines, and they wouldnt connect, stuck with IP's from 192.168.0.100 and over and no gateway.

I've tried doing winsockfix's on them, but wont connect unless its got a Static IP.

Anyone got any idea's?

Chickzor

If you log into the DG834G is it showing DHCP address allocations being handed out? Sounds like its DHCP server is borked.

Oh woops. I completely forgot to mention, sorry.

This was actually the reason why we got a new modem. The old one was doing the exact same thing. The old one was a D-Link DSL G604T

Edited by chickzor

If you log into the DG834G is it showing DHCP address allocations being handed out? Sounds like its DHCP server is borked.

The box next to Use Router as DHCP server is ticked, and to give address between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.254.

In 'Router Status" it says DHCP is on.

In attached devices, it has my computers name, IP and MAC address. My mums computer name, IP address, and MAC address. It has all the other computers IP address's that I had to make Static, their MAC address's, but as for the name of the computer, they are all UNKNOWN.

I've checked the netgear site, and the router already has the most up-to-date firmware.

Try unplugging all computers from the network except your own (or any other one) then issue 'ipconfig /release' and 'ipconfig /renew' from a command prompt on that PC.

This will confirm whether anything else on the network is handing out IP addresses and screwing things up.

You say you have done the winsock fix, but just to check as it does sound like a PC issue.

From the run dialogue

netsh int ip reset ip_reset.txt

This should repair the TCP/IP stack

Also for vista could be worth trying

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

And reboot afterwards.

This turns off Vista's stupid autotuning which has been reported to give problems with some routers and modems (only MS could break something like this).