Hubbo

27" Display for Mac and Windows

I'm looking for a new 27inch display to run on both my Macbook Pro (retina) and my Windows PC.

To save desk space I want to run both computers to the one display, which I currently do on an older LCD monitor (@1680x1050) - MBP via MiniDisplay-DVI cable, and the PC via DVI-VGA (yes, I know, not the best) to 2nd port on the display.

I would like a higher resolution for more space - mainly for programming, (Adobe) graphics work, etc. Bigger than 1920x1080 (not that much difference from what I have currently) would be nice, so 2550x1440 on a 27inch display seems ideal. Graphics/colours would probably take the preference over gaming, but I don't want a terrible gaming experience when I do play once in a blue moon.

Though an Apple Thunderbolt display would be nice, or with spending this dough even holding out for a refreshed/updated display seeing the newer iMacs are now out, it would not be practical as the PC wouldn't be able to connect to the Thunderbolt connector (not too mention there is only 1 display connector). I've dipped my toe in the dark side, but I'm not willing to give up my Windows PC yet. An IPS panel for nice rich colours would be great, but don't like what I'm hearing about 'input lag'. A PLS panel might be a nice compromise from Samsung or Asus.

Ok, my main concern, running a high resolution like 2550x1440 would mean I need a(n Apple) dual-link DVI connector or other mini-display port to (standard?) display-port adaptor, and I'm not hearing good things from these things - at least reading the only Apple reviews. Has anybody had any experience with the Apple Dual-Link DVI adaptors? Any issues with flickering or display quality? Any sleep/power-saving mode?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Hubbo

what outputs do you have?

both these monitors are rather nice

Dell UltraSharpTM U2711 under $700 on special

CONNECTIVITY

High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)

2 Digital Visual Interface connectors (DVI-D) with HDCP

DisplayPort (DP)

Video Graphics Array (VGA)

Component Video

Composite Video

1 USB 2.0 upstream port

4 USB 2.0 downstream ports

8 in 1 Media reader

DC power connector for Dell Soundbar

Dell UltraSharp U2713HM under $600 on special

CONNECTIVITY

1 Dual Link Digital Visual Interface connectors (DVI-D) with HDCP

1 DisplayPort 1.2 (DP)

1 High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)

1 Video Graphics Array (VGA)

USB 3.0 Hi-Speed Hub (with 1 USB upstream port and 4 USB downstream ports)

1 Audio out

DC power connector for Dell Soundbar (AX510)

there input lag isnt great but unless your a very competitive first person shooter player i wouldnt worry about it i love gaming on mine

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713hm.htm

Edited by Dasa

Dell 2713 anything else is really not worth buying.

No input lag. Just get any old mini display port to display port or DVI and your macbook pro will work fine with the screen. I have a 2711 and sometimes use my Macbook air on it.

Dell 2713 anything else is really not worth buying.

No input lag. Just get any old mini display port to display port or DVI and your macbook pro will work fine with the screen. I have a 2711 and sometimes use my Macbook air on it.

What kind of adaptor do you use? Any issues?

I have a mini-display/thunderbolt to dvi adaptor, but reading the reviews on Apple's website reviewers are insisting it only supports single-link DVI and need to purchase Apple's more expensive ($120) dual-link DVI adaptor, though reading reviews on this adaptor doesn't paint a flattering picture.

As for the monitors, I'm not sure on the Dells, at least not the U2711 because of apparently thick anti glare coating, maybe the U2713.

That's because Mini-DP to Dual-Link-DVI has some electronics in the adaptor. Mini-DP to DP, and Mini-DP to Single-link DVI are just passive adaptors.

Those Dells have DP inputs, so you're fine for any res the MBP supports.

As for the monitors, I'm not sure on the Dells, at least not the U2711 because of apparently thick anti glare coating, maybe the U2713.

2711's anti glare is hardly aggressive maybe if you are in an extremly bright room is can be a little bit much but I have 3 windows in my room that are open and i have no problems with it. The 2713's is less go read a proper review of the screen.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6308/dell-u2...-out-of-the-box anandtech the reviews to end all reviewers.

That's because Mini-DP to Dual-Link-DVI has some electronics in the adaptor. Mini-DP to DP, and Mini-DP to Single-link DVI are just passive adaptors.

Those Dells have DP inputs, so you're fine for any res the MBP supports.

Awesome, makes sense. I'll gear my monitor hunting towards a display with a display port to try to avoid all these headaches. Thanks.