smenkhare

Smenkhare's Photos

great shots, pity about the angled black areas in the first (top left, bottom right) - was this a function of cropping to a horizontal sea?

always wanted to go down to that part of Chile, only ever managed to get up to the northern end, beautiful in its own way and plenty of volcanos up there as well but a completely different outlook. Did you go, are you going further south towards Patagonia?

Yep. Heading done to El Calafate and then up to Peru. Seriously considering coming back here longer term.

enjoy yourself, great scenery and as an ex-geologist I just love volcanoes. My daughter recently went to Iceland and went 'inside a volcano', more than jealous about that. Both Chile and Peru are lands of contrasts from lush green tropical to hot desert and back to lush temperate forests in the south with a touch of Antarctic grasslands and highlands to boot. Hmmm, colour me jealous too....

Way to many to post so here are some links

smenkhare.smugmug.com/peru

smenkhare.smugmug.com/chile

Ah, looks like Arequipa. Memories of being stuck in the middle of the airstrip in the middle of the night after the charter flight after we were on was diverted from landing near the border with Chile due to fog. At the time (and maybe still) the airport was an airforce one and they didn't like unexpected aircraft. Ended up having to walk across the tarmac with our luggage as they had stopped the props and couldn't get them started again. The city has a beautiful position underneath a volcano - one of the nicest in Southern Peru.

Way to many to post so here are some links

smenkhare.smugmug.com/peru

smenkhare.smugmug.com/chile

Ah, looks like Arequipa. Memories of being stuck in the middle of the airstrip in the middle of the night after the charter flight after we were on was diverted from landing near the border with Chile due to fog. At the time (and maybe still) the airport was an airforce one and they didn't like unexpected aircraft. Ended up having to walk across the tarmac with our luggage as they had stopped the props and couldn't get them started again. The city has a beautiful position underneath a volcano - one of the nicest in Southern Peru.

That's because it is Arequipa. I believe airport is a dual use one civil and military. Yes it is a beautiful city and one I am quite fond of except for the insane traffic. The volcano of which you speak is El Misti.

The witch's broom

wow, where should I be looking? What camera/telescope did you use?

RA 20h 45m 38s | Dec 30° 42.498'

It's NGC 6960

The telescope is a Takahashi TOA-150 and the camera was a SBIG ST-8300C.

I rented time on it from the itelescope remote observatory.

Agree with Tick on liking the last shot. Very cool. Is there anyway you could reduce the highlights a tad? The lighting on the monument is a bit hot. Good composition as well.