smenkhare

Smenkhare's Photos

It's the horsehead nebula

Love the shot! But curious (possibly stupidly)- what are the vertical lines from the top?

They're column defects. Easily avoidable if you notice them occurring whilst imaging. Not as easily removed during post processing but is possible.

OK, cool. Thanks for that :)

Nice photos, The horse head looks really nice

What sort of settings do you use on the camera for a shot like that?

Nice photos, The horse head looks really nice

What sort of settings do you use on the camera for a shot like that?

No special camera settings (although the camera itself is special) usually at least 30 shots of 3-5 minutes each.

Is this Omega Centauri Smak?? By the way, what sort of telescope rig are you using??

Personally, I want to get into shooting Milky Way shots but have since found out that I cant really do that even in the best of conditions without a tracking mount, with or without a telescope. The best I can get is a 10 second shot without it smudging too much. Even at high ISO, say 1600+, and the widest lens I've got, which is a 35mm f/1.8, the image is lacklustre to say the least. Sigh. What a let down.

I was just wondering if you knew of any mounts that arent going to break the bank but will get me what I want. I have looked around and have found that you can get some cheap mounts but the words "you get what you pay for" always seem to come up.

Nice shots BTW, especially of that GB above. Crystal clear. Where did you take that shot?

Edited by strifus

Strifus.

yes that is omega centauri. It was taken using a 17" planewave CDK located in coonabarabran (i use itelescope which has remotely operated telescopes in siding springs and new mexico)

The moon shots are taken in my backyard with a 5" refractor.

As for tracking mounts. ones for just a camera such as the vixen polarie and ioptron skytracker are around $500.

if you want to add a telescope to it, i'd recommend at least a eq5pro equatorial mount which is around $1100

Ah! Thank you very much Smenk for your advice sir. It is most appreciated.

I did have a Meade LX-200, 12" Schmidt-Cassegrain relfector, without the equitorial/tracking mount. It was a stupidly, or rather quickly bought without thought, by my brother as a birthday present in 2000. Although, very good, it lacked the equipment necessary for good astrophotography, something he found out very quickly. Eventually, he sold it without telling me about it either. :P

Anyway, like I said in my previous post, I just want to start with wide angle shots of the milky way, while learning about digital image processing. At some point, I'll move to using a telescope to capture Messier and NGC objects.

Edited by strifus

Ah too bad he sold it. They can easily be converted to astrophotography use by adding a wedge to them. If you want to learn more, i suggest joining the following sites.

stargazers lounge

cloudynights

ice in space.

These are sick. One of your Opera House shots is now on my wallpaper rotation. Beautiful colours!