Sign in to follow this  
bowlen

Kogan Mobile

So recently, Kogan have released a new mobile service which is looking to be absolutely fantastic. Almost too good to be true!

They are offering amazing deals like unlimited everything except data (6gb p/m) for $300 a year which to me is unbelievable.

There is also the added bonus of being on the Telstra network and also being able to port your number across to the network.

So what are your thoughts on this?

There has been some backlash from Telstra regarding this which is in the article here

I am locked onto Telstra for something like 20 months so I won't be getting it, but was interested in what other people thought and whether anyone has signed up to this or not.

Sounds like a very similar deal to Amaysim, who I've been with for a while. They sell unlimited calls/texts and 4GB of data for $39/month and there are no contracts or anything. It's just pay by the month kind of thing.

I much prefer it to being on a plan, where you get $600 worth of calls for $49 because I never know what I am really getting.

I'm umming ahhing over whether to port my Telstra number over. I never use up the included prepaid bonus that accrues when I recharge anyway, so unlimited text/voice is a non-issue, but the data is significantly higher than the 200MB I think I currently get, which'd mean not having to be quite so paranoid about data usage when out and about - and let me tether my tablet more often without any anxiety.

Unfortunately before I left Australia I dumped enough credit onto my phone to secure my rolling bonus for the next 6 months, so I guess I'll see how things play out by mid-2013.

Ye looks damn tempting, but do note the service only uses Telstra's 3G service (no 4G) and peak network download speed is capped at 7.2Mbps.

You also need to add the cost of the bolt on pack if you want those services

http://www.koganmobile.com.au/prepaid/boltons

However I would think for the majority of people the above would not be an issue.

One thing that I am unsure about is if a Telstra locked phone will work. I assume it would as it is still the big T network but would hate to fork out the money and find nope have to stay with a T branded service.

That looks pretty cheap - 6 Gig is a lot of mobile data for not a lot of bux.

I just moved to TPG "pay as you go" - only 150 Meg data (since I'm existing DLS customer), reasonable call price (10c flag + 10c/min). SMS a bit of a ripoff @ 10 cents each. Excess data pretty reasonable @ 2.75 cents per extra Meg used.

$1 per month, plus whatever charges incurred at those prices.

Not sure what the network arrangements are in full, but when I've checked it seems I was connected to the Optus network - my guess would be it's a mix of their own and leased usage.

I think it would still work out cheaper to get an iPhone 5 on a plan for 2 years, than it would to buy the phone outright and then spend the $300 a year. But for someone who already has a phone, I think it would be perfect.

I have a mate currently on it (just signed on), and he says that he hasn't had a problem with it which is good. I don't think that most people would use/need LTE anyway. I have it but have turned it off as it just drains my battery too much.

I can see it being practical if using FaceTime or something though.

As my minister of finance has said I'm not allowed to get a new phone, i'll look into this with some form of prepaid option. should keep her jealous happy ;)

does anyone know if you can port your number across?

edit- disregard my dumbass question...It was there on Kogan's website that you can port your number across

Edited by jdee71

I've ordered one, Gotta wait till about jan 15 until it arrives though as they have run out of warehouse stock. I think it'll be awesome for me, as there's no 4g coverage anywhere near me anyway.

-X

I bought a tablet for my mother form Kogan.

11months and 20 days it developed a screen problem, and had never left her nightstand.

I got back from my trip to fix it for her, about 12 months and 10 days after purchase.

Lets see if they trust their customers and honor the warranty.

In other news, pennytel is still cheaper.

Grab the $8 a month plan for the 2GB. But be sure you're in an 850mhz zone.

For data that is, otherwise unlimited everything and 6GB is pretty rockin..... I hope they end up being a 'nice company'

Edited by Master_Scythe

I bought a tablet for my mother form Kogan.

11months and 20 days it developed a screen problem, and had never left her nightstand.

I got back from my trip to fix it for her, about 12 months and 10 days after purchase.

Lets see if they trust their customers and honor the warranty.

In other news, pennytel is still cheaper.

Grab the $8 a month plan for the 2GB. But be sure you're in an 850mhz zone.

For data that is, otherwise unlimited everything and 6GB is pretty rockin..... I hope they end up being a 'nice company'

Should have just told her to lodge the warranty as soon as it became faulty.

From what I hear kogan is quite exceptional as far as their customer service and satisfaction is concerned, so you might get lucky, but at the end of the day, if an item breaks while its under warranty and you wait until its out of warranty to claim it, there is no one to blame but yourself.

True.

I havent actually read the laws, nor their warranty claim terms yet. Ive had products in the past i've been able to warranty after date, when they honestly faulted before hand.

Last time the wording was something like "if the product becomes faulty within the first 12 months of use" with NO mention of claim dates, and the company was nice enough to give me the benefit of the doubt without me having to go to ombudsman or ACCC.

I'm not trying to rip anyone off, I'm simply trying to get replaced a gift that didn't last its warranty time. Were I trying to scam them, I'd be a scumbag.

Honestly? This is just going to be a good indicator of whether they put their bottom dollar, or the customer first.

I'm with virgin and exetel because both those companies ALWAYS put customer first for me. So, Kogan, step up.

While I admit it shoulda been done sooner, I didnt think it was that close to expiry, and when it comes to tech, even a warranty call, my parents try to avoid it.

They're of the baby boomer generation. They have NOTHING in their house that hasnt lasted 30 years+ before breaking.

all dads power tools, all the kitchen appliances, etc. warranty is not something they're used to.

anyway this is WAY off topic.

back on topic, only Pennytel threaten those kogan deals, as i said.

Well, I've switched over from telstra to kogan now. There is absolutely no difference in service whatsoever so far except for the ridiculous price.

I'd say it's a winner for anyone in regional areas as Telstra is usually the only carrier that operates in ze bush.

Also: they've released their own handset which is fairly similar to my htc desire in specs, but with a dual core processor and way more inbuilt memory. Also has two sim slots. Not entirely sure why, but there ya go. All for $150. That's a pretty ridiculous price for a smartphone. I wonder if it would take the same beating my htc has over the years...

-X

Edited by Genisis X

And, with that news, I have had an email saying they'll honor their warranty.

Customer first FTW.

I may switch over also when my current plan runs out.

ill look at that phone. I was going to buy a Samsung Galaxy Chat, or wait for MS to release a QWERTY phone to kill BB

hmm agora one is about the same sizwe as a galaxy note...... tempting.

Just did some research:

Its a Star N8000+

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Ne..._537110978.html

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2038601

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/90471

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/kogan-a...ablet-hands-on/

Edited by Master_Scythe

My oldest son brought his girlfriend/partner a new samsung s3 from kogan, and as she is a heavy user he paid for a years access for her up front. $300 bucks and no phone bills for a year, got to be a win for heavy users.

By the way for lighter users there is Vaya their $11 dollar a month plan is the same as they used to offer at Live connected. I am still on that old plan for the same price at live connected but if they take that away I will look at Vaya or maybe kogan. But I don't use much a month, about half the $500 bucks I am allotted.

been doing research on it, looks AWESOME actually. I might try it as a 'trial of a touch screen phone'. Depends how loud the headphone output is though; its the one thing I NEED loud.

been doing research on it, looks AWESOME actually. I might try it as a 'trial of a touch screen phone'. Depends how loud the headphone output is though; its the one thing I NEED loud.

My mum wants a new phone. I plan on using her as a guinea pig ;)

-X

ill look at that phone. I was going to buy a Samsung Galaxy Chat, or wait for MS to release a QWERTY phone to kill BB

Trouble with the Chat/Nokia E5-00/Blackberry bold/curve qwerty phones is the damn keys are so tiny.

I have the bb curve 9320 and thy keys are just too small to be easily usable. My old Nokia C6-00 slide was better as it had a much much bigger KB, pity the touch screen carked it and my repair did not work properly.

:-(

Fark. I never actually took a look at the prices when I first saw this thread.

I'm on TPG and I use my phone for work. I just went up from their $15 package to the $30 one. I'm just applied for the $45 one because I'm already over halfway for this month.

This looks perfect. I think I will get this at the end of the month. Thanks for the headsup.

For real it's on teltra?!

Fuck yeah! My sim should be here in a few days hopefully.

Hey guys i received my sim a few days ago, and I gotta say i'm quite happy with the carrier! For $29, unbeatable.

Where I live, it is a black hole for broadband service, however i score between 70-150 KBps with the Speedtest.net app. However in the more privileged areas, I get 250-300KBps. Also the reception is as good as what I had from my Telstra prepaid sim.

Do they work in Telstra USB dongles? (3G)

Edit:

Probably should have checked their site first.

Edited by viremia