Sign in to follow this  
bowlen

Kogan Mobile

It does not work on the 2100mhz frequencies, so make sure you use the frequency map to see you'll have coverage.

Eh?

Do you mean 900mhz?

Telstra is 850mhz, 2100mhz fallback. Last I checked. Am I out of date?

'$0 SIM, $5 delivery' is a bunch of crock. Decided to order two, so I wouldn't have to pay postage for mine, and delivery went up to $10. For two SIM packages in a single parcel/box.

There's no box.

Mine came in a thick envelope.

Wouldn't have cost more than $3.

So a colleague at work has bought a Kogan sim card. Received it after waiting 2 weeks for it to arrive. Takes the usual day to port the number. Then what happened once his original phone went offline (sign they have ported the number), it lost signal for about 2-3 hours (SOS Only).

Now this is apparently normal for it to be offline for a couple of hours once Kogan have received the number (I have personally never had this happen and I've ported my number accross 4 different carriers). The Kogan website says that it should be offline for up to 2 hours...24 hours later, his phone is still offline and has been without a phone with that period of time.

Calls to Kogan have rung out and there hasn't been anyone on the other end, and emails to their support address have gone un-answered. So far, they are providing absolutely shocking service and just for that, I personally wouldn't use them. I can't be without a phone for more than a few hours at a time due to work etc so that would be critical for me.

I think he is going to take it to the TIO tomorrow if he hasn't heard back. But just putting this out there to let you know that its not all great.

Weird though, because I have another mate who is on Kogan and has had no problems at all..

I would be blaming telstra, Kogan is just a reseller I would not doubt that telstra were behind any delays.

I would be blaming telstra, Kogan is just a reseller I would not doubt that telstra were behind any delays.

Telstra weren't the one ignoring support requests. Kogan have terrible support in my experience.

Telstra weren't the one ignoring support requests. Kogan have terrible support in my experience.

Yea once again personal experience, I have never had a problem contacting them. I own one of their digital movie cameras, 2 x bluray players, 42" lcd TV now almost 5 years old, 32" lcd the same age, and shortly one of their smart phones. My camera became faulty and was replaced with in a week, my returned camera crossed paths with its replacement in the post.

And my remote for the 42" TV failed after about 3 years and they replaced it no questions asked I did not even have to send back the old remote, not bad service if you ask me. :)

Yep I have my first smart phone which is the Kogan, and I love it. The big 5" screen and the camera are great, now when people send me a picture I can see it unlike my 2" former screen. Some said in the review it would be slow because of the small amount of ram, something I have not encountered. It was not a steep learning curve as I have an android tablet. Although I have only had it for about 3 weeks I am sold on its features and usefulness, and for $150.00 its ticks all the boxes for me. :)

i bet that gets sorted out. As all the comments on that article point out; a data cap daily is odd.

Its not the first time though; it was like when Exetel was booting high use downloaders. Im not sure about Kogan, but there was a clause with exetel that stated if your use affected others you would be terminated. They may not have the backbone for everyone using more than 1GB a day?

While this is more a case of misunderstanding than abuse, its what they were trying to prevent IMO.

Its still pretty lame, but come on.

If that's the worst that's happening for a service provider that's only months at best old; I'd say it's pretty fucking good honestly.

Anyone churn to 3 mobile in their first 6 months? how about Vodafone? How about Soul? Pennytel? iPrimus? fuck me, how about the dedicated SkypePhone?

I can see your point in that "they're (kogan) not perfect", but fuck, so far its one of the least dramas I've ever seen on a budget service provider.

Pennytel would drop out. The skype phone was probably only online 50% of what it should have been, iPrimus seemed to not know if your sim was active yet or not, 3 mobile originally LOST 3G support for weeks at a time in the Brisbane CBD when they were new, Vadafone before the 850mhz network goes without saying...

Kogan have some shit to fix yes, but lets not 'pick on the little guy' untill we have a larger sample than one dude on an online blog. Or hell, even 100 people, vs. their signup rate (it was released; anyone have those exact numbers?) is a tiny tiny minority.

Even so, Master, I'll ignore your praise for Kogan and look at it from an outsiders' view. This is pretty poor on Kogan to boot people on their usage of the plan. So what if they're getting close to 2GB, 1GB or even 800MB of data downloads, the consumer should be the one to decide what to do with that, not Kogan. To suddenly place a restriction that should have been noted from the outset is a poor decision and something that should be looked at.

Overall, I think the summary is 'you'll get what you paid for' is quite apt for Kogan. And yes, all the bloody carriers has their problems, Master. But if you place it proportionately, then it'll be similar. Except for the larger numbers the big 3 carriers have.

But if you place it proportionately, then it'll be similar.

proportionate to what? my ass to the sun? really; i'd take a polite misunderstanding with a nice 90 day leeway and reliable service, over any of the other newbies who couldn't provide core functionality.

You name me one provider that had a more minor problem than this in their first month or so of opening.

and even if you can, can you tell me its less than the 0.5% or something minute Kogan is having?

I'm simply playing devils advocate here too you realise; but I do stand by my statements of:

- The company is only months old.

- Its still the smallest quirk i've heard of regarding a new service provider.

On a related note; I'm not actually a Kogan lover, I'm a money lover. The second they stop being value in a field i'm interested in, they can go to hell.

For now, they've honored warranty outside of warranty time, they've provided excellent value, and despite being shockingly slow, they've been helpful.

Edited by Master_Scythe

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/03/aldi-mob...u-need-to-know/ - I was looking at getting the Kogan SIM when my Telstra prepaid credit expires/runs out, but.... now I'm tossing up the Aldi offer. $30 for a year of credit on a PAYG basis would probably cover my actual phone usage for a year, and then just get by on a month-to-month basis with the 2GB for $15 packs.

Hearing issues with both providers tho', so blah.

I've been churning through all of my 6gb a month since I got my sim. I use my phone as a wifi access point for my pc. I haven't been disconnected yet.

However, two agora phones have been sent back to Melbourne under warranty.

-X

Kogan would look a lot more appealing if they allowed global roaming, and didn't make me pay $15 just to sms people overseas when ichat fell off it's data network.

I've been churning through all of my 6gb a month since I got my sim. I use my phone as a wifi access point for my pc. I haven't been disconnected yet.

As i expected, its a glitch on some users, probably on their automated monitoring software.

This I expected. They're cheap for a reason. once you get a good one they're value, but for now, RMA untill you do.

IMO anyone expecting as smooth a record on hardware as the $800 alternatives was dreaming. Still value to me though.

As i expected, its a glitch on some users, probably on their automated monitoring software.

This I expected. They're cheap for a reason. once you get a good one they're value, but for now, RMA untill you do.

IMO anyone expecting as smooth a record on hardware as the $800 alternatives was dreaming. Still value to me though.

I must have got a good one then, as my agora has not missed a beat. :)

Fuckers have barred me from topping up my account ever again.

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for using Kogan Mobile E-Support service.

Kogan Mobile has detected unreasonable use of your PrePaid Service, in material breach of the Terms and Conditions of Service you agreed to on activating your PrePaid Service, including the Kogan Mobile Acceptable Use Policy. As a result, Kogan Mobile cannot renew your PrePaid Service, (and you will thereafter not be able to recharge your service). If you would like to keep your mobile telephone number, you should now without delay port your number to another supplier so as to ensure continuity of service: note that porting may take either hours or several days from when you request a new service provider to port your number.

If you need further assistance please call us or reply to this email.

Kind Regards,

Bryan

I was fucking raging this morning - I need this shit to do work. And there's no option on the 1300 number to talk to a person.

Back to TPG I go....................................

If you think something is too good to be true. It is. They were obviously losing money having me as a customer.

I was using more than my share of unlimited calls to mobiles, landlines and 13/1800 numbers.

Edited by bushi

That's cool.

I use the phone a lot. Pretty much all day, every week day.