cohmoddersolo

PS3 vs Xbox 360 controllers for PC gaming

Hi guys,

I was unsure as where to post this topic so please forgive me if its misplaced. :)

Im currently looking to get a gamepad for my PC games. It seems like most of the games (mainly FPS) I like and play are console ports thus Im keen on trying how it feels like gaming with a gamepad. I found an article on the web comparing how both xbox 360 and ps3 controllers fair in games. It seems like the PS3 controller rules over the xbox 360 for FPS games and by the looks of it I seem to prefer the PS3 controller design over the xbox 360 for action games including FPS's and RPG's. However, this

states otherwise saying that the xbox 360 has a better "trigger feel".

What do you guys reckon? Is it even worth getting a console controller?

Thanks.

Edited by cohmoddersolo

I don't think it's necessary to get a controller as they are second to pc controls. if you do it's down to personal preference, the xbox does have better triggers however. my advice is to either get a modded controller(i.e. rapid fire to make up for the fact it's a controller), Scuf or the power A controller(it has the advantages of both, plus grip).

EDIT- links added

Edited by noskcaj

XBOX 360 controller is the easiest to use in many games since it has all the controls set up by default, though I have not really used many gamepads in the last couple of years so I don't know if they get detected as xbox controllers or not..

I use an XBOX 360 controller with the odd game (racing, RPG) there are alot of games these days which auto detect the xbox controller and go so far as displaying the correct button to press on screen.

Personally i think the xbox has a better fit (not so cramped) and the triggers feel much superior in their positioning and feel.

Edited by cleadge

I don't think it's necessary to get a controller as they are second to pc controls.

Absolute load of crap.

PC Controls are outdated as fuck, we're actually limited to the features we get in certain console ports because of the digital input from the keyboard and mouse buttons. Try play a driving game on your keyboard vs me with a gamepad with analog triggers and sticks, good luck. The mouse is the only control device on the PC that is still better than a controller, because it represents the right stick with some buttons, but as far as digital input vs analog input goes, traditional PC controls are way behind.

In regards to controllers on PC, its going to be personal preference.

I prefer the 360 pad over the PS3 pad, I like the location of the sticks better and the triggers are heaps better.

As far as PC controllers go, the 360 pad is the way to go, simply because it will be auto detected and mapped in just about any game available on PC these days that uses xinput.

Either with the wireless dongle and a wireless controller, or simply a wired control.

There are other programs you can use however, to have your controller detected as a 360 pad, for example, DS3tool, which is a program you use to get the PS3 controller working on PC, has the option to emulate the control and make windows think its a 360 pad.

*EDIT* 360 pad for plug and play, hands down. If you want to fuck around getting it installed and detected in games, then choose whichever control you feel is more comfortable.

Edited by NukeJockey

Agree with Nukey, although I'd go with a wired XBOX 360 controller, I've had issues with some games not working right with the wireless one.

Agree with Nukey, although I'd go with a wired XBOX 360 controller, I've had issues with some games not working right with the wireless one.

Yeah, I remember that being an issue with a few games in the past, I've been using a wireless controller for like 3-4 years and had an issue with maybe 1 or 2 games in that time, haven't had any recent issues at all, but the reason behind it was because the games didnt add the profile for the wireless controller, only for the wired, as they get detected differently.

I went to my local EB Games store and picked up a $9 Xbox looking PS3 controller.

Lets see how it fairs, I might get an Xbox controller instead if this ones to hard to play with.

Cheers guys.

I'd try to avoid cheap controllers as much as possible.

Their analogue sticks and shoulder buttons are usually flakey as fuck, I haven't had one cheapy control that hasn't had an issue due to cheap analogue parts, try to avoid them at all costs.

*EDIT* What I'm getting at, is you may not find the experience a cheaper controller offers very good, in which case it may turn you off using a controller in games where it really is beneficial, at the very least, you would want one of the $30~ Logitech controllers to know you're getting okay quality, but for the best experience, you really should just pick up a wired MS Branded Xbox 360 controller.

In regards to games that I think play better with a control on PC (Considering I don't know what games you like to play, these may not matter).

The Walking Dead - Plays fine with a keyboard, but its such a couch game and the controller experience is just as good, perhaps a little better, certainly felt more frantic. Certainly not "Needed" though.

NFS: Most Wanted

Dark Souls

Skyrim (released last year, but late) - far more immersive with a controller, considering it doesn't require pin point aiming, I'm not sure there is any advantage to a keyboard and mouse.

Sleeping Dogs

Saints Row the Third - Once again, you lose the accuracy of a mouse, but you gain ffb, analog sticks and shoulders for driving etc. far more immersive and enjoyable.

Assassin's Creed 3 - This one doesn't need explaining if you have played AC3, you need the control over your movement that only the analogue stick can give you.

These are just a few I could think of off the top of my head, as you can see, no FPS' mentioned there, but the rest are all fairly varied sorts of games and all much more enjoyable with a Good controller.

Edited by NukeJockey

One problem I have is when pushing the left dome up to move forward the person in the game goes back instead. I guess its just something reversed in the settings somewhere or is the controller broken as from the manufacturer?

I honestly cant find anything wrong apart from that but I guess its because Ive had no experience with console controllers since the PS2 days...

Im sourcing a wired xbox 360 controller locally and my best bet is EB Games but they only have wireless ones and other wired but transparent ones.

Edited by cohmoddersolo

I dunno mate.

Does the controller get detected properly by windows? If it does, maybe see if you can calibrate it. If, when calibrating, it shows the stick in the middle, then pushing down on it shows it pushing up and vice versa, then its just an issue with inverted controls (Which is weird, I could understand pushing up to aim down and down to aim up, but never seen inversion with movement controls) either in the driver software or the game.

Im sourcing a wired xbox 360 controller locally and my best bet is EB Games but they only have wireless ones and other wired but transparent ones.

Just saw your edit.

You tried JB HiFi?

I dunno mate.

Does the controller get detected properly by windows? If it does, maybe see if you can calibrate it. If, when calibrating, it shows the stick in the middle, then pushing down on it shows it pushing up and vice versa, then its just an issue with inverted controls (Which is weird, I could understand pushing up to aim down and down to aim up, but never seen inversion with movement controls) either in the driver software or the game.

Just saw your edit.

You tried JB HiFi?

Yep Microsoft recognises it as normal (up for forward, down for backward) but in game its the other way around and I dont have a clue how to change it.

Havent been in JB HiFi yet since its a bit out of the way in a shopping centre (EB Games is only short walking distance) but I guess I should check it out when I go there on Sunday.

edit: EB Games have the Razer Onza on sale. What do guys reckon?

Edited by cohmoddersolo

I think its supposed to be a pretty schmicko controller, for $19 I don't see why not.

Although, there should be reviews around for it, I do seem to remember it being received quite well, but there may have been a few issues with it.

Sounds pretty good, tempted to pick one up myself.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2011/04/29/raze...ntroller-review

Shame the store I went to didnt have them in stock. :(

Yep Microsoft recognises it as normal (up for forward, down for backward) but in game its the other way around and I dont have a clue how to change it.

I presume you have this issue fixed by now. However if not... I would be willing to bet that your Y-axis is inverted.

You would need to go to (in game) Options / Settings -> Controller Setup -> Then toggle "Invert Y-Axis". If there is an option for that, then it'll fix your problem.

It annoys the heck out of me, especially if I play Halo or something on my housemates Xbox. As a PC user moving the mouse forward (to look up) equates to moving the analogue stick forward. However in a console system, the controls operate as if the users had a top-down / birds eye view in that moving the analogue stick forward pitches the camera (or view) downward. I always end up inverting the controls, which pisses of my mate when he goes to use it, if I forget to change it back.

Edited by Electr0

Electro, generally inverted Y axis is for the right stick, his issue was with the left stick moving backwards/forwards, not inverted aiming.

Xbox 360 controllers work well without requiring much configuration probably because the games you want to play with the controller were probably ported to PC anyway.

They are overpriced but reliable.