Ug Lee

SFIV = February

http://www.shoryuken.com/

Lots of new SF4 vids from CES!

Would be interested to know how much JB in Melbourne would sell these sticks for if they got them. You're looking at around about $300 inc shipping from Play-Asia or Lizardlick.

http://www.destructoid.com/ces-2009-street...en-117539.phtml

While visiting with Capcom today, we had the chance to play a little Street Fighter IV on the Xbox 360 with Mad Catz line of new controllers for the game that we showed you earlier today. Capcom's Seth Killian was nice enough to crack one open for us to see the crazy amount of work, detail, and craftsmanship that went into it.

Before we get to that, I have to say that I love the FightPad. D-pad whores that loved the Sega Saturn controller and its feel and configuration will love this controller. For the legions of fighting game players that hate the standard Xbox 360 controller's d-pad, this FightPad is your new jam. Aside from the sexy d-pad, the face buttons are flat and easy to hit, and the side buttons nice and clicky. This one is a winner.

The real highlight Tournament Edition Street Fighter IV FightStick. As Brad told us earlier today, this baby uses the same parts used in the actual Street Fighter IV Japanese cabinet. The buttons, stick, and everything in it are the best parts available. These things are beautiful, folks. The recessed and locking button features (to protect from crazy button mashing action) are just icing on the cake.

Seth showed us the bottom of these units, which has removable rubber feet, revealing holes that would let you mount them to a surface. He says he actually has holes in his coffee table just for that purpose.

I'm so doing that now.

Video included. King of d-pads? Looks like it.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars...pad-has-arrived

We spent our fair share of time with the Mad Catz Street Fighter IV arcade sticks at the Capcom booth earlier this week. However, we had the chance to drop by the Mad Catz private suite to get a more detailed look at the company's controllers and we took it. While the sticks themselves are highly desirable, we had quite a few requests for a more in-depth report on the actual joypads.

Alongside the release of the sticks, Mad Catz is releasing a branded collection of joypads. These pads aspire to the old Sega Saturn or Sega Genesis style of pad that, as many of you will recall, boasted arguably the best layout and the best d-pad of any console controllers ever. Mad Catz is well aware of how beloved the original design was but the company didn't stop at making a simple carbon copy.

Mad Catz' new joypads stand out right away thanks to the incredible floating, eight-way d-pad. There's probably no better testimony to how well the pad responds than to say that I was able to pull off four consecutive spinning pile drivers with Zangeif with no issue before finally missing the fifth one. (For those who don't know, the move requires a full circle of the d-pad which is often quite tricky with a normal d-pad.)

The other neat feature about the sticks is that there is a switch that lets users configure the d-pad when using the controller for other games. A small switch on the back allows the controller to be defined as the left analog stick, right analog stick, or d-pad. This means that with a flick of the switch, the joypad—which has no analog sticks on it—can stand in for other controls in specific games.

As an added bonus, the controllers also include two-step turbo options for any and all buttons on the controller—though hardcore fighting fans will likely stay away from this feature. The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions also differ in that the PS3 joypad is wireless whereas the Xbox 360 one is not.

Mad Catz may really be pushing these joypads as a complementary product to Street Fighter, but the pads are most exciting because they are the long-awaited answer for a good d-pad solution on the current-generation consoles. Watch out for the pads in mid-February when they hit retail for $39.99.

Edited by Ug Lee

Agreed, it's a very nice upgrade indeed.

I go on record as stating that Dan surely has the coolest ultra in the game by a mile. Can't wait to use him!

It's nice to see the underdog being taken seriously for a change.

Or at least something approaching serious. The backward dash still seems to be a jab at SNK.

It's nice to see the underdog being taken seriously for a change.

Or at least something approaching serious. The backward dash still seems to be a jab at SNK.

His SRK and some of the other stuff look good, but he still might end up being average. Same thing happened with Third Strike Sean.

I do agree on the dashes, I had to watch the video twice to figure out whether it was the street fighter style dash, or sprinting like SNK.

Considering my current lack of interest in video games and my strong desire to find a new house I think I am going to have to give the stick a miss.

I see myself regretting this decision in the immediate future.

if you hate life and don't want Sanwa parts

Ha!

That stick looks rather nice. I think I may need to invest in one.

The command list layout in that youtube video Ug linked was impeccable, as was the commentary comparing it to the Tekken command list layout ehhe.

SFIV keeps going strength to strength.

I think as the date nears, we should get a poll going of who is getting it, and on what system, so we can get some sweet Atomic bashing happening.

I don't wanna by a next gen console just for SF IV and this far into the generation I have no idea which to get PS3 or X will be best for SF4, anyone aware of any differences or still no details?

Hey Tak I should totally hand you your ass at some Alpha 3 you keen?

I'm still waiting for him to play me at SSF2THD.

And I keep telling you to have patience. As soon as it's out on PS3, I'll take a day to familiarise myself with it (never played the Super Turbo revision, only plain Super) and then it's on like Donkey Kong.

Boyeeee.

As for Alpha 3, we could try, but I couldn't get GGPO working online. Might hit you up on the weekend and we'll see what's going on.

I think as the date nears, we should get a poll going of who is getting it, and on what system, so we can get some sweet Atomic bashing happening.

Good luck with that. I suspect a lot of Atomicans talk about playing Street Fighter more than they actually play Street Fighter. I've been trying to get games on Super Turbo HD against a few Atomicans and apart from Ghost05 it's been a fruitless endeavour.

I've got SF IV preordered for the XBox 360 (and yours too Ug Lee).

I am just really sucking with the controller. Early Feb I should have my arcade sticks up. Or at least have them on their way up.

I can't fucking wait. Glad I pre-ordered the stick at Play-Asia as they're out now. This stick + this game means I won't be needing to buy a new game for quite some time.

BTW Morris if you want you're welcome to borrow my DOA4 stick until you get yours up here.

I might consider the offer because I'm really really sucking on SSF2THDR

On another note, I was considering dressing up for this game as Ryu. I've had a haircut and now I don't think I can.

I might get away as Zangief though if I can grow a beard and shin hair.

Got confirmation today that my pay this week would cover ordering one of them. Came home to order but they are out.

Words cannot describe how pissed off I am right now.

I suspect a lot of Atomicans talk about playing Street Fighter more than they actually play Street Fighter.

I hope you don't mean me.

I play SF every chance I get, but to be honest, playing the CPU gets old and I'm without an online version. No one wants to play me any more. Every time I have a meet, I'm almost begging people to play, but to no avail. I meet new people, and occasionally they'll talk about how Street Fighter is 'wicked awesome' or some such nonsense, and I get a little glimmer of hope. Then they say they want to know how to get that green guy to do the electric thingo, and I die a little inside.

So I sit at home, playing Alpha 3 alone on my PS2, endlessly clearing Arcade and Survival modes almost on autopilot, and silently fuming at whoever it is that's delayed STHD on PS3. It was worse when I had my Xbox, I knew it was there, but I was pained by the thought of playing it on the shitty, shitty dpad. That's not playing. I'd be no better than a fucking button masher. So reluctantly I let it go, not wanting to half-play a game I've been dying for.

We'll sort it out, either through some GGPO troubleshooting or finally seeing a release on PS3. And when we do, I hope you beat me. I'd like to slip a round in here and there if I can, for pride, you know, but in all honesty I hope you slap me across the screen and back again. I don't want to be done with this stuff. I want to know there's more to do, that I can get away from beating the CPU while daydreaming about something else. I want to step up to a real challenge, because I'm stagnating just mindlessly thrashing the singleplayer. At the moment, I'm hitting Tekken 5 DR pretty hard, and improving quite a bit, but it's not the same. I can't even play that against real people, for it is a righteous lagfest. I'm just endlessly going through Ghost Mode, getting all my characters up to Dark Lord, and moving on to the next.

It's fucking depressing. For the first time, I've ALMOST got a chance to go up against some real competition, to break out of the monotony that is playing the CPU and thrashing new people at meets. I only get to play new people once, maybe three matches in all, and then it's back to no one wanting to play me. It's SO CLOSE, this whole new world of opposition and the chance to improve my game, but it's been cruelly delayed, a sick joke by God to keep me bored.

Don't say things like that man. I'm in agony here!

I'd play you Tak.

I'd be worse than the CPU, but I'd play you. Sure, I'd lose 50 rounds in a row. But by the time the 51st rolls 'round, I should be a little better.

And so the cycle repeats.

:)

Got confirmation today that my pay this week would cover ordering one of them. Came home to order but they are out.

Words cannot describe how pissed off I am right now.

I'll add to that by telling you that when you pre-order with Play-Asia, they don't take a cent out of your account until it ships. oops!

It was worse when I had my Xbox, I knew it was there, but I was pained by the thought of playing it on the shitty, shitty dpad. That's not playing. I'd be no better than a fucking button masher. So reluctantly I let it go, not wanting to half-play a game I've been dying for.

The controller-S was excellent for fighting games, best d-pad since the Saturn. I used to play SF2 and SF3 online with it against tourny players from ozhadou and I would compete and win. You missed out big time!