Sign in to follow this  
Director

Which NAS out of these two?

I would be leaning towards the HP just because it is an actually computer, so you can do what you want with the OS etc.

OK cheers, I don't really 'need' one at this stage but can get the N40L for $200 so I'm sitting on the edge, held back only by the power of indecision.

N40L all the way. The SAS controller that they have in them is more expensive then the N40L by itself.

Yeah, still umming and ahhing. I'd want to set up some type of RAID redundancy like RAID 5 over 4 2tb HDD's? But the server only does hardware raid 1 and 0. Maybe WHS2011 and software RAID 5 would do the trick?

Edited by Director

I have one setup with 4 x 2TB running raidz1 on ZFS and about to add another drive as a hot spare.

I am running CentOS 6.3 on it and have pretty much scripted the entire setup and basic configuration which I intend to post here soon.

The system runs like a champ with Plex mediaserver installed as well as transmission. It's also pulling double duty as a freePBX server too.

You could go down the Windows path I guess but where is the fun in that? I guess you and Mac Dude could swap war stories about it :P

Yeah, still umming and ahhing. I'd want to set up some type of RAID redundancy like RAID 5 over 4 2tb HDD's? But the server only does hardware raid 1 and 0. Maybe WHS2011 and software RAID 5 would do the trick?

WHS got discontinued for a reason. If you have to use windows just use windows 8's storage spaces.

I have one setup with 4 x 2TB running raidz1 on ZFS and about to add another drive as a hot spare.

I am running CentOS 6.3 on it and have pretty much scripted the entire setup and basic configuration which I intend to post here soon.

The system runs like a champ with Plex mediaserver installed as well as transmission. It's also pulling double duty as a freePBX server too.

You could go down the Windows path I guess but where is the fun in that? I guess you and Mac Dude could swap war stories about it :P

Would look forward to seeing any additional info about your setup/scripting when you have time to post. It's an area I am working on improving myself in at the moment. :)

I'm still a linux noob but been enjoying getting my hands dirty so far.

@Director, if you haven't already, check out the microserver NAS thread for some info on my setup, it's a nas & home server capable of doing many things. +1 to the N40L from me, especially now it's at clearance prices before the N54L hits (insignificant upgrade from N40L).

Thanks all,

Yup I did read that thread but got pretty lost on the first page...linux and stuff.

Either way I didn't go ahead with the purchase cos I looked at my credit card first...:) And as I said I don't really need one just now so I'll reassess the situation somewhere down the track when the need arises.

(I liked the look of Windows 8 storage spaces though. :) )

Would look forward to seeing any additional info about your setup/scripting when you have time to post. It's an area I am working on improving myself in at the moment. :)

I'm still a linux noob but been enjoying getting my hands dirty so far.

I am trying to find some time to do a proper walk through as the scripts, in some cases, need some context and a bit of "this is where I was coming from" to make sense. They weren't written with the intended purpose of throwing it out to the wild so don't exactly take into account every possible condition. The way in which shares are created for example don't seem to like having a space in the share name. This is more my failing at using sed to manipulate more than "it can't be done". Like you, I fiddle with Linux and don't profess to be an expert at all.

As soon as I find some time I'll post it in the other thread. For me, I can have a system up and running very quickly now. It's funny but I originally started them on Ubuntu but moved to CentOS. I think that once you see them, you can pretty much tweak the installation steps to reflect apt rather than yum and they would easily work for you. There are only a few packages that download and install from source, such as netatalk and freePBX that you would need to fiddle with.