Sign in to follow this  
SceptreCore

Windows 8 may have just solved my BSOD problem

I used to get random BSOD's in Windows 7, and I would restart to Windows telling me there is no OS installed - you know; when it can't find the hard drive. I would then have to power the computer down, and power it up again, and set it as the priority drive again.

Apparently it was a common occurrence with the earlier Sandforce controllers, which my Patriot Pyro appeared to have. Often the computer would start to show signs of lag, and then freeze, and a few minutes after that... BSOD. Multiple firmware updates still would not correct the issue. I resigned myself to the fact that my drive was crap, and I shouldn't have been so cheap and bought the inexpensive brand.

Now however, after having had installed Windows 8 about three or four weeks ago, I have not had that problem at all. And in Win7, it would have reared it's ugly head by now. It's still early days yet... but so far so good.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

Yes and no, I didn't have problems with any of my Windows installs before I upgraded them to Windows 8...

It definitely runs faster than Win7, Vista and XP though, I can't believe we were stuck with XP so long, what a terrible OS it was.

Yes and no, I didn't have problems with any of my Windows installs before I upgraded them to Windows 8...

It definitely runs faster than Win7, Vista and XP though, I can't believe we were stuck with XP so long, what a terrible OS it was.

Don't say that three years ago will you.

I used to get random BSOD's in Windows 7, and I would restart to Windows telling me there is no OS installed - you know; when it can't find the hard drive. I would then have to power the computer down, and power it up again, and set it as the priority drive again.

Apparently it was a common occurrence with the earlier Sandforce controllers, which my Patriot Pyro appeared to have. Often the computer would start to show signs of lag, and then freeze, and a few minutes after that... BSOD. Multiple firmware updates still would not correct the issue. I resigned myself to the fact that my drive was crap, and I shouldn't have been so cheap and bought the inexpensive brand.

Now however, after having had installed Windows 8 about three or four weeks ago, I have not had that problem at all. And in Win7, it would have reared it's ugly head by now. It's still early days yet... but so far so good.

I'm sorry but fucked if I can figure out how install another OS helps the BIOS detect hardware which seems to be your initial problem.

For me it would be nice if just once I could shut win8 on the laptop down without it BSODing on shutdown.

Only still have Win8 because I will be doing some training on using it soon so need to know how things are done. Otherwise I would bin the shitty piece of Beta software.

I'm more thinking it's more down to the point that Windows 8 is designed around SSDs and the like. This is quite easily shown by WinRT and the mobile framework itself. Plus WinRT is a lot more efficient in terms of power efficiency over all than the aging Win32. So you can't say really but for laptops, it's a godsend as I don't have to wait for 30 or more seconds for boot up...

I'm sorry but fucked if I can figure out how install another OS helps the BIOS detect hardware which seems to be your initial problem.

For me it would be nice if just once I could shut win8 on the laptop down without it BSODing on shutdown.

Only still have Win8 because I will be doing some training on using it soon so need to know how things are done. Otherwise I would bin the shitty piece of Beta software.

The OS does interact with the BIOS. Managing hardware functions and the like.

I'm more thinking it's more down to the point that Windows 8 is designed around SSDs and the like. This is quite easily shown by WinRT and the mobile framework itself. Plus WinRT is a lot more efficient in terms of power efficiency over all than the aging Win32. So you can't say really but for laptops, it's a godsend as I don't have to wait for 30 or more seconds for boot up...

That much is true. SSD was an everyday consumer product at the time of launch, so it makes sense that MS would make sure it runs fine on SSD's.

Well sure it does but not at the point where the HDD is initially detected by the BIOS.

Well sure it does but not at the point where the HDD is initially detected by the BIOS.

We it would come back after a hard shutdown. The more I think about it, the more I believe that Windows was in some way having an effect on the SSD. Maybe it's got some in built kill switches for something that the OS wasn't tuned for?

dunno, but as I continue to have no issues no more, I'm sticking by it.