Sign in to follow this  
noskcaj

Atomic/PCTA IRC channel

would it be possible to run an Atomic irc channel? join ##AtomicMPC on freenode if possible

Edited by noskcaj

should make a new one #maximumpowercomputing for both mags

then why am i the only one online on it?

On #maximumpowercomputing ?

On #maximumpowercomputing ?

still on austnet? then yes.

The channel is #atomicmpc I believe.

it was, until nothing ever happened there.

IRC is all but dead. (for anything but idling)

The channel is #atomicmpc I believe.

it was, until nothing ever happened there.

IRC is all but dead. (for anything but idling)

Facebook killed the IRC star.

The problem with IRC (IMO) is that it's always there. People get pretty upset with you if you're not paying attention to it, and that's kind of understandable, with it really being a real-time system. Once you start using it as a delayed IM style system for one-on-one communication, you may as well stick with actual IM clients or social network pages that have far better mobile support and etc.

I only really see it being useful within the context of private servers, where friends/employees/etc can talk in real time in a group setting. And not have to deal with endless splits and etc when servers on the network desync.

The problem with IRC is that no one has made a client which doesn't suck for novice users.

I dunno.

Xchat is simple as hell. So is the built in one in Opera. You still need to know /server and /room but thats all.

Edited by Master_Scythe

The problem with IRC is that no one has made a client which doesn't suck for novice users.

I dunno.

Xchat is simple as hell. So is the built in one in Opera. You still need to know /server and /room but thats all.

Exactly, you need to know commands. Poor UX.

in xchat you don't. and to add to the reasons it's alive. nearly all linux distro's use it for support/devel to some extent

.:Cyb3rGlitch:., 2 commands is nothing.

I know people who make facebooks posts who use 50+ commands a day, usually to show a smiley etc.

Even the elderly can remember 2 things.

I agree its 'harder' but its meant to be a LITTLE elitist these days. only the worthy make it through alive.

.:Cyb3rGlitch:., 2 commands is nothing.

I know people who make facebooks posts who use 50+ commands a day, usually to show a smiley etc.

Even the elderly can remember 2 things.

I agree its 'harder' but its meant to be a LITTLE elitist these days. only the worthy make it through alive.

Whether it's doable or not is irrelevant. It's an unnecessary obstruction to usability, and turns users away. Not that it matters, the mass appeal to IRC has long passed.

You're right, and this is why I avoid people, lol.

If they cant be bothered learning to put a forward slash before 2 words they already know, then what else in this world cant they be bothered learning? (in my expereince, to indicate properly, and to srive somewhere near the speed limit; 10km+ OR - is not correct people!)

If they cant be bothered learning to put a forward slash before 2 words they already know, then what else in this world cant they be bothered learning?

Why would you do that when Skype/Facebook/Yahoo don't require it?

(I know why you or I would bother, but we're hardly the masses)

It's not for lack of wanting, it's a lack of giving a shit, because easier options exist.

If they cant be bothered learning to put a forward slash before 2 words they already know, then what else in this world cant they be bothered learning?

Why would you do that when Skype/Facebook/Yahoo don't require it?

(I know why you or I would bother, but we're hardly the masses)

It's not for lack of wanting, it's a lack of giving a shit, because easier options exist.

most people on facebook have willingly learned :poop: in a week, it's more irc just isn't to there needs.