SquallStrife

Monochrome Monitor Repair

This will be in the next Retro Swim (which will be all about my new IBM PC 5150) but here's a sneak peek!

I got this monochrome monitor off DonutKing. He said it had white phosphors, but he hadn't used it, so he couldn't say whether it was working or not.

Here's the beastie:

Posted Image

So I hooked it up to the IBM PC. Power LED came on, and I could hear the HT working, but when it warmed up it looked like this:

Posted Image

I opened it up to look for any obviously bad components, failing to notice any, I took the PCB all the way out to get a closer look and noticed a huge crack in the PCB:

Posted Image

I used some wire from an ethernet cable to join up all the traces that lead over the crack.

Posted Image

And now it works a treat!

Posted Image

:D

That's top notch work. You would have been feeling well chuffed with yourself I bet.

Good to see this old equipment still being used and revived.

Thumbs up.

Edited by millen

Good work man!

I wouldn't do any soldering on those old PCBs, probably loaded with lead and cadmium and other nasties.

I guess you must do a fair amount of soldering, I suck at it, by my calculations that may have taken me an hour or more to do. I remember soldering a chip onto an xbox using a bunch of wires very similar, was a right pain in the bum!

I know people who are good at that stuff at work, but I don't do it myself. We've got pretty good soldering equipment at work here.

We do try to avoid any lead-based stuff.

I've never used anything but lead-alloy rosin core solder. I have a little desk fan to blow the fumes away, not that there are many usually.

Unless you were doing it all day in a room with no airflow or ventilation, lead based soldering is pretty safe.

How much lead based soldering would you have to do before any health issues appeared?

I'm not a skilled "solderer" by any means, but I have always felt lead based solder was many times easier to work with than "modern" solder.