Sign in to follow this  
Jeruselem

Yet another SSD drive thread

Ok, the hard drive on my ASUS K52JC laptop has decided to start to pack itself in on XMas eve last year.

Thinking of putting in a 240GB SSD and loading Windows 8 x64 on it since the OEM install was for Windows 7.

I don't need SATA3 since laptop is probably SATA2 only, so recommend any drives?

Edited by Jeruselem

So, Ive been doing a lot of research on this since Im looking for a 500gb ssd. Since any ssd will seem much faster than any hdd you should probably look at sandforce controllers as they tend to be the cheapest. Even sata3 ssd will be able to run sata2, plus if you get another laptop in the future you could use the sata3 possibly. Depending on what you want to spend, there are so many options. I was going to get a Sandforce but now not sure since there are some advantages of other controllers but since you would be stuck on sata2 might look at them since you wont see any benefit from other controllers.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-re...hmark,3269.html

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/65

Intel, Samsung, they are all pretty much the same and they all work well.

Can you even buy SATA 2 drives now?

Before I do that I'll be trying a few fixes in case isn't some weird Windows 7 or driver or power saving or SATA issue with the laptop first. I just hope it isn't the hard drive itself.

Apparently the ASUS K52 series has had a weird history with Event 9 iastor issues (Intel RST driver) caused by incorrectly configure installs by ASUS. In some cases the earlier K52 motherboards had faulty SATA issues.

Edited by Jeruselem

I put in a 64GB Samsung SSD drive in this Toshiba notebook I bought from Mudg3. It only has SATA 150 in it, but I still noticed a huge difference. Running Ubuntu 12.04 on it now, and boy is it a zippy little old bugger! :)

Still working out if my drive is bad or my install has a weird issue. OR the stupid laptop has overheating issues.

Might put an SSD in my netbook just to be stupid LOL

After stuffing around ... the old hard drive is stuffed. Disk queue length of 0.5 to 1 in Safe Mode when nothing is happening at all and disk queue length of 5-50 when Windows is actually doing something. Since Safe mode does not load the Intel RST driver in Safe mode, it cannot be blamed for slowness.

PassMark Disk checkup showed some truly awful SMART stats in the drive ... and failed the drive test at 10%.

SSD time now!

Disk was a Seagate ST9500325AS.

Edited by Jeruselem

i grabbed a bunch of 256g plextor m5s at $175 each they seemed like great value to me

read performance is fairly good and write performance isnt bad not that it matters with older sata controllers

tested it with ide then ahci and it was much faster with the later around twice as fast with smaller files running from the intel sata2 controller on a h55 mb

For me I was looking at the Plextor m5 pro, Corsair Neutron or Vertex 4. Only because of the price I bought the Vertex 4, really wanted a neutron but the vertex kinda looks faster anyway. I was going to get Sandforce for the price, from what I read Sandisk Extreme and Mushkin Chronos Deluxe are some of the faster ones with toggle memory. But like Dasa said its going to not matter a ton on older sata but will still seems super fast compared to hdd. From having a cache 60gb drive, back to hdd nearly drove me crazy! Cant wait for my new drive to get here lol. Check out this awesome site, just wish I found it sooner!

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Getting a Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD (Series 3) from the local supplier. Going to install Windows 8 since I don't want the OEM crap associated with original Windows 7 install

Thats a dam fast ssd too, good pick! Enjoy!

Pity I won't get the real speed of the drive with the current notebook.

Getting a Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD (Series 3) from the local supplier. Going to install Windows 8 since I don't want the OEM crap associated with original Windows 7 install

OEM crap? I was thinking of getting Win7 OEM with an SSD to stop the "this windows isnt genuine" crap. Whats the "OEM crap"?

He means pre installed applications from the computer vendor.

An OEM copy of Windows does not have any other pre installed apps.

Also why not buy Windows 8?

Oh so OEM win7 doesnt even have stuff like a calculator? I spose its cleaner then, maybe missing necessary stuff that i have no idea about?

Windows 8 i thought people were complaining about its hard to navigate/missing things, or they were missing things from 7. And i thought it was in that bad cycle, like vista before 7, the one before xp. Also i dont see them selling 8 OEM in my store

EDIT: I see now that they are selling 8 OEM

Edited by spankdmonke

I knew this would get confusing when I typed that..

It has all the built in Microsoft apps (calculator, media player etc), just not the apps that come bundled with a new PC, like Norton AV and other crappy programs.

And no, that "bad cycle" thing people keep saying is 100% BS, its like no one can remember how bad windows xp was when it was released...

Windows 8 = Windows 7 with optimizations.

There really is no reason not to get it, unless you are 80 years old and can't be bothered learning a few changes to the GUI.

Sorry about the confusion. but now this is even more confusing lol...

OEM win7 doesn't come with the crappy PC bundled crap programs, and thats why dude said "screw this OEM win7 crap" :?

Anyway, its good to know that it doesnt come with that crap. I was just going to get Kaspersky OEM and win7 OEM. But you got me thinking about win8 now, i will have to try it out.

thankyou

There is more than one kind of OEM Windows disk. There is the bare OEM image you get when you buy it from a retail store. There is also the modified OEM image you get when you buy a PC from, say, Dell, or Toshiba, or Asus or whatever. They usually add a bunch of the drivers needed - on a laptop, say, for the trackpad or touchpoint - as well as some software like a trial of MS Office, or an Antiviral program that they think will make you more likely to buy their computer.

If you buy an OEM copy of Windows, separately from a PC, it'll be fine. But that's not what the person above was talking about.

Most of the big objections to Win8 are in-principle objections - like it being better to use on a touch enabled device, which is true but doesn't make it particularly or at all difficult to use with a mouse for most things. It's just a little bit different, but easy to pick up on.