Sign in to follow this  
smakme7757

Windows 8 - Black screen after installing Nvidia Drivers

For anyone who happens to bump into this problem:

Problem: After doing a new install of Windows 8 and updating the Nvidia drivers you are met with a black screen and a flickering mouse after restarting your PC to complete the installation.

Cause: When windows 8 is started windows update will start downloading the default 306.97 drivers to get your video card(s) up and running. This happens in the background. Since you're also trying to install the latest drivers you get a driver conflict.

Solution: Let windows install all it's stuff. Update everything through Windows update. Then restart. When everything is working fine, update your Nvidia drivers and just select "Easy install - Update current installation.

After about 2 hours - that's how i finally got my brother new PC to work from fresh Windows 8 install. Sometimes too much help can be a real PITA!

Edited by smakme7757

I have problems every time I have let windows download/install it's own drivers, which is why I always turned auto update off on my machines.

Can't do this with the average persons machine sadly otherwise no update would ever be installed...

It's odd that Windows is downloading the older drivers despite you having installed the latest drivers... :S

Wonder if this happens to AMD as well?