Zzozzach

First impressions

Incidentally, why do you think it was horrible? Constructive criticism is the best criticism, and all that!

(mind you, it's from our Pro free, so not sure what we can do about it, but...)

well at least the phone review wasn't like choice's i.e. best reception wins by default.

my main problems with it was the omission of the nexus 4 and it was obviously only higher end phones. it also somehow seemed difficult to read.

Difficult to read? How so?

i can't really say, i have always found sub-categories help, they are in most of PC&TA's review though

Well overall I was disappointed...its just not atomic enough for me...I miss atomic!

I'll give it another couple of issues, but my feeling right now is that this new 'thing' is just too generic...and I won't be renewing my subscription...

Well overall I was disappointed...its just not atomic enough for me...I miss atomic!

I'll give it another couple of issues, but my feeling right now is that this new 'thing' is just too generic...and I won't be renewing my subscription...

two thigns that may help making it feel like atomic, a background behind dan and ashtons collumns, that was missing. and upgrade or KILL THE A-LIST.

OK, OK, we get it. 3rd time, you dont like the A-list. Calm yourself Iago.

Those lists ironically, are allowed to be a little out of date. (when i say allowed, i mean, its not very harmful to have them).

Because the type of people relying on them are the type who want to DIY their own build, but dont know hardware well. They still get some pretty good advice overall.

Realistically vbmds, may I pose an angle no one else has considered?

What ELSE are you going to read? What magazine still in print do you prefer to read instead of the new PCTA+A layout?

What magazine should I go (or more like, the mighty editor!) to the newsagent, buy, and compare to PCTA+A so I can make some suggestions of my own on how to edit\format the mag.

I for one welcome a bit of 'random tech' and 'office equipment' into the mix. Simply because its not stuff I'd research often, but my clients DO ask about.

As such, things like a "this is the best printer" etc. isnt always out of place, as long as its not every issue.

The biggest +1 i'm going to give in this thread is the suggestion for POTM and to make it a big deal in the magazine. Make the prize photo big, and the link obvious.

As you say Hawkeye, the 'coaster' is a big thing for a lot of readers, because, hey, they like free stuff. Competitions, especially 'passive ones' (such as existing in a community) are often well received.

Edited by Master_Scythe

two thigns that may help making it feel like atomic, a background behind dan and ashtons collumns, that was missing. and upgrade or KILL THE A-LIST.

I have a suspicion that something that cosmetic wouldn't really change vbmds' mind. I'm just happy that they're willing to see out the sub - that's all I can ask :)

Realistically vbmds, may I pose an angle no one else has considered?

What ELSE are you going to read? What magazine still in print do you prefer to read instead of the new PCTA+A layout?

What magazine should I go (or more like, the mighty editor!) to the newsagent, buy, and compare to PCTA+A so I can make some suggestions of my own on how to edit\format the mag.

That is an excellent question, MS.

Agreed, it is a good question...my answer my not go down too well -> nothing. I'll continue with the online tech news sites I read and lament the loss of a local content source. atomic was the only mag I subscribe to/read. I may have to go back to PC Gamer...maybe - over priced imho.

As for seeing out my subscription, I may not see that out if I'm not won over by the next few issues; as I take out multi-year subscriptions for atomic, what I'm getting now is no longer atomic. I used to also subscribe to PC Authority but dropped it as I got bored with it - and all the CD/DVDs included.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT to like the new mag but thus far after 1 issue I'm a ways from that.

Yep. I don't mean to be a smart arse, but if every popular writing style on the market cant please you, we're going to have a hard time. but I'll be interested to see what the team comes up with.

Just received my subscription copy in the post today. Was glad to see the atomic logo on the cover, and a little bit sad to see it so small. I haven't opened it yet so have no feedback to give, but here's hoping there's enough atomic in there to keep it interesting.

Do let me know what you think when you get through it. John and I are very happy with the result, but there's always room for improvement :)

i opened the first page...

...and my heart sank at justifications for the included DVD.

cover disks...really? deducing all at once the considerable power of the geriatric demographic in the PC&TA readership i baulked at what seemed a very bad sign indeed. (hey, no offense to all the savvy old coots out there living on the cutting edge of tech). i mean, it would almost take more effort for me to search for and download the 1½ potentially interesting items on that disk than to set about extracting it from [...aah forget it, i bored myself mid-sentence]. yes, yes, i know some people cant get fast internet...but still!

over all: it was alright. less in there 'for me' perhaps. but the change is sort of nice too.

Edited by @~thehung

So I finally finished giving it my re-read. Now my eyes are in slightly better shape I can actually get through a magazine again (yay!!!!)

Can I say, I love it? really love it?

Its like you've taken the 'mildly interesting' side of new parts and reviewed them, which I like, because they're not my thing to google and reasearch, but I like to learn about them if you've taken the time to 'sum it up'.

On top of that, the old Atomic pages have their flare thats for sure, I agree they look bland, but they need to not 'stand out' to much I suppose.

I'm an odd ball, in that I actually like those PC USER\AUTHORITY\WORLD magazines from time to time, but if the generic is watered down with atomic, and the editors are trying to be a little more edgy with the merge, I think this spells good things for the future.

My honest, sincere opinion on one thing though?

We are Atomic MPC, thats what we are, thats what we always were, and thats what we want to stay. We are NOT Atomic MPG.

Don't let atomic, now its only a few pages, be watered down into a 'gaming liftout' style. Get back to pushing cheap CPU's till they literally pop, test out some watercooling blocks, look into onion routing or something big, but obscure, get a small budget and buy the most generic shit you can find and see if theres a diamond in the rough, like you used to.

We are Atomic, I have a poster and a framed Tshirt on my wall to remind me every day. We mod shit, we break shit, we learn shit. We're not just another set of 'gamers'.

Nothing wrong with gamers, we're just so much more.

i opened the first page...

...and my heart sank at justifications for the included DVD.

It's bit of a hassle for us, too, but the howls of protest every time we even HINT at removing the disc are pretty persuasive :)

Don't let atomic, now its only a few pages, be watered down into a 'gaming liftout' style. Get back to pushing cheap CPU's till they literally pop, test out some watercooling blocks, look into onion routing or something big, but obscure, get a small budget and buy the most generic shit you can find and see if theres a diamond in the rough, like you used to.

Totes glad you're liking the change :) As to what we should cover, we did in fact have a look at some watercooling stuff in this issue...

And I've got Zeb working on some long form stuff that should make everyone here happy!

Grab some old atomic attention Hawkeye, grab $60 out of petty cash, buy a sempron or something, and see how far it'll clock. dry ice, nitrogen, whatever, blow the fucker up!

If atomic is somewhere new, they need to know what we stand for! or at least... used to and want to again.

Or that that $60 to MSY and ask for an assortment of generic PSU's and add-incards and see WTF's going on in the shit generic world, lol. Something oddball. Anything!

Just talk to those you have to and see if the atomic sections can become a little left handed in their approach to tech like it used to. a little shock therapy can be VERY good for an established product.

Edited by Master_Scythe

It can, but I think that's something best worked up to, given the unique mix of readers we now have. I hope to get there, though :)

I hope to get there, though :)

I will wait for you.... *silk scarf in the wind*

Duct tape and ball gag in the boot. ;) Edited by bowiee

See hawkeye, thats what I like about you.

Someone disrespects your 'new' mag, you stay loyal to your roots and pat them on the back.

Win.