Zzozzach

First impressions

I only bought Atomic at the news agent I never bothered with a sub, bit of a shame it's gone now.

The reason being that I'd never bother to buy the PC tech etc mags I just find them far to basic and not really focused on 1 subject, I know some people who buy it because of that reason and really like that.

I did look at the 1st mag, with the atomic stuff in it and just seen the games bit was the only atomic stuff in the mag, and the rest was the standard reviews items that you get in the mag so have decided to not bother with it since.

In terms of other mags I do buy the PCpowerplay mag with the DVD on it.

I don't get why everyone is so against the DVD myself, They are good for drivers etc the old versions of drivers for that you can't download from the net as all the sites over time will stop letting you download them and you don't need to bother with the malware driver sites and programs.

While I'm not into the PCtech DVDs they do have the shredder programs and odd ball programs etc that you sometimes need or may want for something.

As for the phone reviews (why is that is in a computer mag??? I don't know) I don't know why you'd be banging on heaps about the nexus 4 you can only buy it from the play store and it's had a year worth of stock problems that you can't always buy it, plus it's not much better than an iphone4.

You know, the phone thing is interesting.

The fact is, there's so much computing power in a phone, and the capacity to do things on a phone that once were pure desktop applications, that it would seem - to me at least - odd NOT to cover them. We're a technology magazine, first and foremost.

But fair enough about PC&TA being not your cup of tea :) It's a work in progress of course, and some issues will lean more on the Atomic side than others.

3. how do i get "hero" status?

You gotta not want it. Ever.

Hey there, I thought I'd wait a while to see how the new mag stood up against the old version.I must say I don't know if I'll continue my subs , the content is rather broad and I originally subscribed for the gaming specific orientation.Hawkeye has stated that it is a technology mag and laptops , phones and other urban appliances are part of current & future technologies.The software bench marking has it's uses and can help confirm good or not so good choices.I am also glad that the A-list was seperated from all individual items to include the grouped Gaming PC of old , well done!! I haven't found that the placement of each writers section has detracted from the flow of the magazine.I did initially believe that the ' Atomic ' content would be like a sealed section devoted to gamers but obviously this is not the case. Is there a possibility of a ' head to head ' of both generic and gaming tech to satisfy the ordinary person and gamers? I am aware the mag is in constant evolution to satisfy readers and hopefully it will continue strive to be exceptional not acceptible to the gaming community.

Thanks for leaving the comment :)

We've always known that the merger would not be able to please everyone, but we do still consider it a work in progress. Thanks for giving us a chance so far.

I originally subscribed for the gaming specific orientation.

Ah, a new comer.... At0mic changed to a gaming mag only in the end to try a new direction. First and foremost it was an enthusiast mag. While a little more broad, it's more 'traditional atomic' now than it was at the end of its life. I hated the gaming shift.

Trust me, man, if we hadn't have made that shift Atomic would have died sooner. It got us a lot of new readers - like jedibob!

Trust me, man, if we hadn't have made that shift Atomic would have died sooner. It got us a lot of new readers - like jedibob!

I understood that, and thats why I never even bothered to bring it up. 'my' content was still there. Was simply pointing out that whe he misses is only what atomic became, not what it was.

But such is life, progress is progress :)

But the move to PCTA from 'Maximum Gaming' is definagtely more true to classic atomic than atomic MPG, which i approve of :)

Edited by Master_Scythe

OK. Don't own any PCTA yet. BUT the phone review. Glanced at.

I suppose it came down to "Tech" and not computing. It covered the phones, and not what they COULD do. IT just didn't sit right.

I however DO appreciate that it is a good mag. It's just that it's focus is so spread out. Atomicans liked a laser focus on a single topic. Grab that topic, and really drill into it and get some nitty gritty. Not necessarily teardowns. But "Here's a cool tech, but is it worth it. Here's everything assocaited. Good and Bad"

PCTA kinda did a 'hand wave good stuff over there'. It gives a great overview but not the focus we CRAVE!

BTW Dave. I want you to know this. I just discovered. I HAVE EVERY ATOMIC! LITERALLY! Go to Woah! (Edition 80 is around somewhere. Can't remember where. Just gotta find it. I know I have it because I remember pulling it out of the shelf for something. /me displays his atomic-peen with pride! (I also have the edition 1 tshirt AND the stickers STILL ON THE BACKING!)

AD

OK. Don't own any PCTA yet. BUT the phone review. Glanced at.

I suppose it came down to "Tech" and not computing. It covered the phones, and not what they COULD do. IT just didn't sit right.

I however DO appreciate that it is a good mag. It's just that it's focus is so spread out. Atomicans liked a laser focus on a single topic. Grab that topic, and really drill into it and get some nitty gritty. Not necessarily teardowns. But "Here's a cool tech, but is it worth it. Here's everything assocaited. Good and Bad"

PCTA kinda did a 'hand wave good stuff over there'. It gives a great overview but not the focus we CRAVE!

BTW Dave. I want you to know this. I just discovered. I HAVE EVERY ATOMIC! LITERALLY! Go to Woah! (Edition 80 is around somewhere. Can't remember where. Just gotta find it. I know I have it because I remember pulling it out of the shelf for something. /me displays his atomic-peen with pride! (I also have the edition 1 tshirt AND the stickers STILL ON THE BACKING!)

AD

+1

the in-depths were very interesting, the only PCTA equivalent is the 4 page of text at the end of the mag.

OK , OK , I wasn't there at it's inception , I'm a NOOB , I think I started at around Issue 56. ( I don't know because they are my reading material when things are slow at work.)

Before that , I was only contemplating a " gaming computer ". I initially started reading PCPP before atomic MPC , my bad , and any other mag reviewing hardware more than just games specific.I found atomic MPC to be the best and awaited it with glee to see what new improvements I could make resulting in a total rebuild more than once.If this was a move towards getting more sales over the original mag , to be different from the others , I believe it was a good move because this is what got it over the line for me in particular.

Well , that's my story and possibly similar to many others out there as hawkeye has stated.

As long as the reviews and relevant technologies don't head towards smart sewing machines or kitchen appliances and focus on the reasons we do get the mag then I'll continue to get PCTA.

Jedi Bob

' May the force be in you '

I don't know... if I could play BF3 on a sewing machine I think it'd be news... :P

I don't know... if I could play BF3 on a sewing machine I think it'd be news... :P

LOL...I used Mrs. Z's sewing machine last weekend for the first time in, oh, twenty years or so. Man, those things couldn't possibly be more difficult to figure out! Give me a malfunctioning printer or a misbehaving motherboard any day, far more logical things to work with.

Aaaannnnyway, back on topic...I've bought 2 of the PCTA mags since the merger and I can see a difference already. I was hella pleased to see the Hotlist is back, a nice contrast to the A-List. I'm quite enjoying the in-depth articles that feature in the middle parts of the mag, the writers you've got for them obviously know their stuff and do much more than hand-wave at the latest tech. I found the article on geo-blocking surprisingly quite useful as I've been looking into just that topic lately.

I still find the DVD highly annoying. If anything, it makes reading a magazine, which is meant to be folded over, quite difficult and awkward. It has both times been promptly ripped out and discarded. You've already said that it's here to stay so I guess there's no point in whinging, I just feel better afterwards. :)

So far, so good. I'll buy another one when there's a cover topic that grabs my attention, and let you know what I think after that one as well.

Yeah , I'd have to agree the DVD is annoying but I just rip it out , put it in a plastic slim case and file it unless it has useful stuff on it.I used the 3DMark after I replaced my video card to see if there was much improvement.

When they bring out a cordless clothes iron that works automatically ( I hate ironing ) and can be used as a mouse too that may be news worthy ;P

Hawkeye, can you recommend a sewingmachine strong enough to stitch my leather straps from that swing on my roof back together?

Look forward to the next issue....