Sign in to follow this  
noskcaj

Audio confusion.

Today i got a sound blaster audigy 2 zs (old, but still decent), an AWA ht-730ss amp/woofer and 5 sony speakers. i have ordered 3 3.5mm to RCA converters ($3 total) off ebay to make it able to run off my pc and psp(stereo only). Will i benefit much by getting a new sound card? e.g. an ASUS Xonar card.

my reasons for upgrading are: the mic in the audigy won't work if i have more than 4gb ram in my pc, which isn't a bug issue because i have my usb soundcard for that. The new soundcard should have better ubuntu support (i am planning to swap over completely soon). and finally the new card should just have better sound.

Simply; Much? no. Some? yes.

you've listed limitations which will obviously disapear.

However, considering you've got really entry level home theatre equipment, no, the sound quality wont be overly noticeable.

When it comes time to upgrade look into the Jamo C series speakers and any Marantz amp, for some 'cheap' audiophile gear.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Simply; Much? no. Some? yes.

you've listed limitations which will obviously disapear.

However, considering you've got really entry level home theatre equipment, no, the sound quality wont be overly noticeable.

When it comes time to upgrade look into the Jamo C series speakers and any Marantz amp, for some 'cheap' audiophile gear.

thanks for the reply. i only wanted the 5.1 set for being louder than my edifier m1360's and the surround-ness, maybe after my big pc upgrade.

Turns out the AMP/sub is broken. what are your picks for a cheap amp?

5.1?

Quality? Still marantz. Should be able to find an Sr5005 or something on ebay by now. amazing amps.

2nd would be Pioneer, simply because you get what you pay for with them, they tend not to lie to the consumer.

stay away from Yamaha, it has a very small sound stage. smaller capacitors and transformers than they used to, meaning if you crank it, it gets 'tinny'.

Denon is OK, but they're much the same price as marantz now, and they're the same company (D&M holdings). Go with the flagship (marantz), not the runner up (dennon).

Though if the right bargain came along, I wouldn't say no to Denon