Sign in to follow this  
Nich...

Hello Skype, goodbye Windows Live Messenger

Probably because less and less people are using it, Microsoft is set to retire it's IM service come March. Users will be able to merge their accounts into their Skype ones, or simply log in with their MS accounts.

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2013/01/09...grade-to-skype/

Whether this means Skype will stop being a bloated piece of crap is not clear :

Probably because less and less people are using it, Microsoft is set to retire it's IM service come March. Users will be able to merge their accounts into their Skype ones, or simply log in with their MS accounts.

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2013/01/09...grade-to-skype/

Whether this means Skype will stop being a bloated piece of crap is not clear : <

Did the switch, but not really impressed. I wont need/use most of the features, and I don't really like the way my friends list is laid out now. In short I will miss my "little green man".

Got that email from them on the 1st. Its horrible news.

Luckily you can use /secondary in the launch commands to open 2 skype at once.

If they'd just let PIDGIN.IM into the skype secret i'd be happy, but no 'official client' only. eugh. Oh well, i'm hoping the email will remind people they have a messenger account :P

Nope. Lasat time I tried trillian was 1999 or somewhere near that, when it had Gator and Adware combined with it. Is it fully skype compatible?

Nope. Lasat time I tried trillian was 1999 or somewhere near that, when it had Gator and Adware combined with it. Is it fully skype compatible?

Yup, I use it for work to talk with my manager and the other dude that works with us.

I've been using Skype for ages. It's handy when friends have disparate devices (iOS, Windows) Took me a while to get used to it in Windows 8 but I'm getting there.

I thought Windows Live had been dropped ages ago. oh well.

Whether this means Skype will stop being a bloated piece of crap is not clear : <

Probably not, since Messenger has been a bloated, ad-infested piece of shit for many years now itself.

I thought that MS had dropped its messenger efforts to support LYNC? Could be wrong.

Lync is a corporate product, it replaced Office Communications Server and Communicator.

Edited by SquallStrife

aMSN does mostly the same thing...no bloatware as well

I wonder if aMSN will continue to work after the change over ?

The service won't exist so no Windows Live Messenger alternative will work.

unless they're silly and allow it to route through Chinas MSN servers.

I know normally they're firewalled, but i've seen my data go through there from time to time in the years past when US servers were down for maintenance.

Probably not, since Messenger has been a bloated, ad-infested piece of shit for many years now itself.

I'm not going to say that Messenger is agile, but Skype feels as sluggish as the latter incarnations of ICQ did.

Google Talk is my benchmark, so most other IM clients are mammoths as far as I'm concerned : p

Is everyone else noticing their lists come back to life on MSN, ive got users I havent seen in YEARS logging back in at this news, lol. Kinda cool. like an internet reunion

Ahh messenger i will miss you, many nights had me running when i hear your msg tone as with ICQ before that.

But i will not miss you so much as when i used Yahoo messenger which used to cause my mother grief everytime the sound of a door knock sounded at 3AM.

Mudg3: Damn i thought trillian was available for linux... ill still keep using Pidgin then.

Wish there was a decent one for linux that would do: MSN, G-talk, Skype, ICQ (some people i know still use it), IRC and most of all QQ.

I really won't miss Messenger as a service - I typically IM from my inbox in Outlook.com, and just about everyone there has logged in using Facebook. Skype I pretty much just use for VOIP, but if it included IM from my MS Account contacts (including FB contacts through FB chat) then I might have it open more often.

TBH I'd rather MS just include Skype VOIP in their Outlook.com chat widget thingy. I think Google has this already.

Man its getting so hard to be a service provider eh?

Back in the day there was IM chat. Then facebook came in and fucked the way everyone communicates up (personal opinion, just think people are 'lazy' now, just post in public and expect people top read it as if its personal).

I miss 2004

Edited by Master_Scythe

A few weeks before I found out about this I was trying to get rid of msn. I was only using it to talk to 2 people :P Everyone else I could either talk to on FB or Skype, so this worked out for me.

I do get what people are saying about clunky though, ugh. It's a PITA to scroll through to find who just messaged me