Master_Scythe

BIOSHOCK INFINITE!

Anybody that actually pays any kind of attention should have known about Bioshock Infinite a few years ago...

I used to pay attention to the gaming industry, then they started doing thinkgs like Duke forever, and I think I mostly gave up after SG1: The Alliance. that broke my heart in 5.

Do we have a release date? looks pretty wicked, as long as they bring back the weapons menu. that was painful.

Bioshock1 had it, suspend game while you find the weapon, 2, which was harder, had me scrolling through weapons mid fight like a sausage fingered dungeon nerd. oh wait :P

Welcome back to the forums, MS! As you've no doubt discovered, most of us have known about Bioshock: Infinite for a while now. You're right, it's looking pretty sweet. The release date has been something of a moving target, however it looks like it will be finally released sometime this year. Today's PCTA newsletter had a short story about the PC specs being released. Click through and I'm sure you'll find links to all sorts of good information.

Edited by Zzozzach

I'm thinking because the franchise is a bit overdone. I was expecting something more similar to System Shock 2 when Bioshock first came out but it turns out that it was just a very console oriented game.

Edited by richard parker

I'm thinking because the franchise is a bit overdone. I was expecting something more similar to System Shock 2 when Bioshock first came out but it turns out that it was just a very console oriented game.

There was some early criticism along those lines, but since I played Bioshock on Xbox 360 I can't really argue. It was certainly great on the console!

The vibe I'm getting now is they're trying hard to make it more PC-friendly, but I daresay the controls will still feel...console-like. Anything that's released for multiple platforms will suffer from this. The only way to get around it would be to release for PC-only, and there aren't many publishers who are brave enough to do that nowadays.

System Shock 2 was definitely a 'PC' game through-and-through, but it was never designed to run on consoles anyway so kind of hard to use as a comparison. (As a side-note, I found SS2 to be the scariest game I ever played...the atmospheric soundscape was unreal.)

crud. Time for a GPU upgrade it seems.

You say this like you find it hard to justify a GPU upgrade in the first place. ;-)

Anything that's released for multiple platforms will suffer from this. The only way to get around it would be to release for PC-only, and there aren't many publishers who are brave enough to do that nowadays.

Well, you could develop solely on PC, then port it to console - and remove or tweak those bits which need it. Ain't gonna happen, though - that sort of double-handling costs too much.

I disagree.

It was an FPS, the PC version had its own PC interface and controls, if you used an Xbox 360 controller it completely changed the interface around.

It was also one of the first games that had DX10 on PC, if not the first.

I disagree.

It was an FPS, the PC version had its own PC interface and controls, if you used an Xbox 360 controller it completely changed the interface around.

Not necessarily the controls or UI, it's about the gameplay. Look at how Deus Ex and System Shock 2 were made. In console gameplay, it seems like everything is very forgiving and streamlined. You'll never have to wonder what to do or where to go.

Also see Dragon Age 1 vs Dragon Age 2, or Deus Ex 1 vs the sequel I forgot the name of.

Edited by richard parker

I disagree.

Not necessarily the controls or UI, it's about the gameplay. Look at how Deus Ex and System Shock 2 were made. In console gameplay, it seems like everything is very forgiving and streamlined. You'll never have to wonder what to do or where to go.

Also see Dragon Age 1 vs Dragon Age 2, or Deus Ex 1 vs the sequel I forgot the name of.

Its not a sequel to System shock, its a "Spiritual successor" which never made sense to me, so any comparison between the 2 should be taken with a grain of salt.

I spose it was very RPG lite and linear compared to the games you mentioned, but that doesn't make it console oriented, it always felt like an FPS to me, whereas Deus Ex and System shock felt like RPGs with FPS elements.

I understand what you're getting at, but I just don't think its as bad as other "console oriented" games. It was hella fun to play through and if you don't try to compare it to other RPGs which have a more open world feel and realise that its an FPS first and foremost, it stands up well.

EDIT* Your comparisons for Dragon age 1 and 2 are spot on, not sure why they went in that Direction when DA:O was on console as well. Also, 100% yes on IW being the biggest piece of shit.

Edited by NukeJockey

Information about the PC version of Infinite.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/01/15/bios...sion-difference

nice replies

needing three disks for pc vs one for console is promising although only having 1g vram 4g ram requirement is a little average

hopefully the pie in the sky is as much fun as the dank underworld that was the original even if its not as nicer setting and overly bright

im betting they have gone over the top with dof like most dx11 games especially since its on the cartoony side but it sounds like we may have the option to disable it

for the system shock fans some old fan made artwork

http://supermarioandfriendsnewadventure.wi...dan-hackers.jpg

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/system%20shock%202?before=22

http://www.sshock2.com/fanworks/default.asp

Edited by Dasa

Pre-ordered Bioshock Infinite from JB Hi-Fi online, playing the flash puzzle game that comes with it as a pre-order bonus. Pretty fun for free :)

Posted Image

This is Document 13, the first one I had to think about. The first twelve are quite breezy.

*edit*

Finished! Took about three hours, not bad for extra content. I didn't realise at first but I didn't actually unlock anything until the very end; the rewards were already unlocked by the pre-order code I had. So I suppose anyone intending to play Bioshock Infinite can do the puzzle game and get the perks.

Some very tricky puzzles, I was pretty stumped on a lot of them. Once you get the mechanic it's not too bad, mostly about following whatever set path they want you to follow. I put my points towards the resistance faction, hoping that gives me some kind of weapon perks. Viva la resistance!

Posted Image

*edit2*

Oh, and here's the URL because some people may not know about it:

https://www.finkmanufacturing.com/

Edited by TheFrunj

Pre-ordered Bioshock Infinite from JB Hi-Fi online, playing the flash puzzle game that comes with it as a pre-order bonus. Pretty fun for free :)

Posted Image

This is Document 13, the first one I had to think about. The first twelve are quite breezy.

*edit*

Finished! Took about three hours, not bad for extra content. I didn't realise at first but I didn't actually unlock anything until the very end; the rewards were already unlocked by the pre-order code I had. So I suppose anyone intending to play Bioshock Infinite can do the puzzle game and get the perks.

Some very tricky puzzles, I was pretty stumped on a lot of them. Once you get the mechanic it's not too bad, mostly about following whatever set path they want you to follow. I put my points towards the resistance faction, hoping that gives me some kind of weapon perks. Viva la resistance!

Posted Image

*edit2*

Oh, and here's the URL because some people may not know about it:

https://www.finkmanufacturing.com/

How much was the pre-order?

I just pre-ordered on PC from Video Ezy for $36.76

http://www.videoezy.com.au/games

Edited by phatbeat

My mate bought himself a 7950 over the weekend and got a free copy of Bioshock infinite as part of an AMD promotion, so he gave it to me, Bioshock infinite for free, score!

How much was the pre-order?

I just pre-ordered on PC from Video Ezy for $36.76

http://www.videoezy.com.au/games

$90-odd, but it comes with a bunch of extras like artwork book, litho print, statue etc. Happy to pay for those :)

That said, wow, that's super cheap. I didn't know videoezy did anything other than movie rentals!

Going to be weird, not seeing names like Fontaine Futuristics or Ryan Industries.

And the joy of seeing a new Gatherer's Garden shall be missed.

I have to say, I'm pretty excited by this, might have to reinstall Bioshock 1 and 2 and play through them over the weekend.

i'll have to wait for a price drop. Surgery again in a month so saving.

but my new 7850 OC edition will rock it i'm sure.

As i said, as long as the 'pause weapons menu' is back, i'll be happy. Or if we dont get 2 sets of weapons simultaneously, then its OK to be missing......

I'm not sure how many participating retailers there are, but the first never settle promo netted me a free copy of hitman absolution, sleeping dogs and farcry 3, that was with a purchase from msy.

My mate purchased a 7950 over the weekend and also received the promo (albeit the crysis 3 one), so maybe just contact your place of purchase and ask them.