Sign in to follow this  
ameel

HDDs Clicking

I have 2 raids

10x2tb in Raid 6

5x2tb in Raid 5

These are hosted on ubuntu system and served through my home network.

I tend to copy and delete and lot and noticed that the drives would be clicking every now and then.

Checking on Ubuntu I saw that all disks are healthy, although I noted 2x had bad sectors on the Raid 6 and 1x had bad sectors on the Raid 5.

I also noted performance is affected since every now and then when the clicking occurs, data transfer will freeze. Some files even get corrupted (the larger rar files that I have yet to extract, not sure about smaller files).

I am anxious to fix the problem.

The raid itself doesn't seem to have any issues. Data transfer freezes only on disks clicking. Otherwise everything seems to run fine.

Should I replace the HDDs with bad sectors or does the problem lie elsewhere?

Please advise.

cheers

I reckon you'd be right to replace them.

RAID is not a substitute for backing up; it is important you back up.

Are you using software RAID or hardware RAID?

What HDD are you using?

I reckon you'd be right to replace them.

RAID is not a substitute for backing up; it is important you back up.

Are you using software RAID or hardware RAID?

What HDD are you using?

Software raid.

Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 on the Raid 6

Seagate ST2000DL003 on the Raid 5

I'm sure the 3 drives still have warranty but don't want to leave my raids without redundancy while waiting on RMA,

I wouldn't build a RAID without higher quality HDD, at least WD Red.

Clicking = dead 99.99999*% of the time.

Raid5 is OK with drives, just dont try green. Though if its just data, yes, red. Red drives all day!

In really basic terms, they're server drives without huge warranty that large corporations get, and thusly, consumer prices :D

What's your backup solution ameel?

If you don't have one, I would be inclined to figure out the best way to implement one that would be capable of duplicating at the very least the amount of data you are currently storing with some capacity for growth. A second system comprised of say one giant LVM running RAID0 for the purpose of having enough space to rsync your current server to may be the cheapest option.

You would most likely want to also look at purchasing at least one drive to add as a hot spare to one of your Raids. Remove the drive that is exhibiting bad sectors and watch to make sure the spare comes online. Once your RAID moves from degraded you should be comfortable to remove the drive physically. If you have backed up, there is your insurance if things go wrong.

Personally I have two systems configured as backup boxes which get alternated offsite. Rsync is what I use. While there is no versioning to my backups it does work reasonably well.

Clicking = dead 99.99999*% of the time.

Raid5 is OK with drives, just dont try green. Though if its just data, yes, red. Red drives all day!

In really basic terms, they're server drives without huge warranty that large corporations get, and thusly, consumer prices :D

I am not sure it has anything to do with Red drives being "server" drives and more to do with the firmware they use. Maybe they use better components although considering the price difference between a Red drive and an Enterprise drive I doubt it.

The problem with Green drives is their power saving mode.

I think this is applicable when considering the merits of WD Red over Green or if you have Green drives and want to do something about the aggressive power management.

http://www.synology.com/support/faq_show.php?q_id=407

thanks guys!

is it probelmatic if i replace 512 dirves by 4k ones?

What do you mean by "512"?

Edited by fajw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format

Advanced Format is a generic term pertaining to any sector format used to store data on the magnetic disks in hard disk drives that exceeds 512 to 520 bytes per sector. Advanced Format is also considered a milestone technology in the history of hard-drive storage, where data has been processed in 512-byte increments since the inception of the hard-disk drive in 1956. Changing the sector format convention to larger data sectors, such as the 4,096-byte structure used in the first generation of Advanced Format technologies, uses the storage surface area more efficiently for large files but less efficiently for smaller files, while enabling the integration of stronger error correction algorithms to maintain data integrity at higher storage densities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format

Advanced Format is a generic term pertaining to any sector format used to store data on the magnetic disks in hard disk drives that exceeds 512 to 520 bytes per sector. Advanced Format is also considered a milestone technology in the history of hard-drive storage, where data has been processed in 512-byte increments since the inception of the hard-disk drive in 1956. Changing the sector format convention to larger data sectors, such as the 4,096-byte structure used in the first generation of Advanced Format technologies, uses the storage surface area more efficiently for large files but less efficiently for smaller files, while enabling the integration of stronger error correction algorithms to maintain data integrity at higher storage densities.

thanks for that, but doesn't answer my question. Can I swap 512 drives for 4k drives in a raid setup without issues?

Sorry I don't know on that one.

I thought I'd clarify the Advanced format issue so somebody else might be better able to correctly answer your real question ameel.

Also another question:

does bad sector cause the clicking?

The reason i'm asking this is I want to be sure whether it is in fact the hard drives with bad sectors that are clicking and not other hard drives?

Let me rephrase that: is it likely that an HDD would "click" although its SMART status is healthy and it has no bad sectors?

Also another question:

does bad sector cause the clicking?

The reason i'm asking this is I want to be sure whether it is in fact the hard drives with bad sectors that are clicking and not other hard drives?

Let me rephrase that: is it likely that an HDD would "click" although its SMART status is healthy and it has no bad sectors?

It's a tough one. Some drives will click when spinning down or up again although report as fine. I have had Seagates that have done this for months without issues although that is not suggesting yours are in fact fine. I have always had good backup practices in place to minimise the risk. I would possibly google the model numbers of the drives to see if they are known as simply being noisy.

Clicking noises can be a sign of impending failure though. You would probably be getting SMART errors though or freezing or something if it was serious. I guess I would be worried more about the drives exhibiting bad sectors at this stage and ensuring your backup strategy is good.

I have 500GB SATA ... shows no bad sectors but Windows locks up all the time and clicks a lot. So it's rather variable depending on the drive. I've had drives just drop dead without clicking noises too (one WD drive)

I've owned some older Seagate drives which were truly noisy, so it was hard to tell if they were going bad or not.

Thanks for the input guys, but I'm rather confused now....

Basically I have 15 drives in the setup.

I have no idea which one/s is/are wrong.

At least one drive clicks when I access data from the raid.

I do note from SMART three have bad sectors (one has 1 bad sector, one has 5, forgot the last one)

How can I figure out which drive actually needs replacing?

Edited by ameel

Bad sectors are sign the drive is failing so the one with 5 is probably the main suspect.

Edited by Jeruselem

bad sectors to HDDs are like cancer is to humans.

It could spread fast, or, less likely, live a long and full life.

If they have bad sectors, and you dont want to lose data, just replace em.

Ah.......... The dreaded "click of death" :( Grab Sea Tools (it will work on most brands of drives) boot up with it and run the quick test on your drives, if any fail the quick test they are on their way out.

I have 500GB SATA ... shows no bad sectors but Windows locks up all the time and clicks a lot. So it's rather variable depending on the drive. I've had drives just drop dead without clicking noises too (one WD drive)

That's because clicking is generally to do with sticking read/write heads not degrading disk surfaces.

Have a listen to some of these

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php