kzinti1

Atomic MPC-RIP

I dont completely agree with the OP.

I downloaded a newsstand copy of the latest issue and have to admit I do like the content. But its still lacking that unique spark of life, which im hoping will emerge in time. If someone is able to inject the old ' will it survive Chernobyl, frisbee mark, a bit of frostbite and Atomic tooling around inside' mentality occasionally ... I'll be entirely happy. Mind you, Atomic sort of lost that 'feel' over the years as well. It's been a long while since I've had a knowing chuckle over a review or editorial. A bit of face-palm content is always a good read.

But yes, happy to see my favourite writers still contributing and being a huge gadget fan, very much approve of the product reviews.

Edited by NightOwl

That's really good to hear, NightOwl. It's not going to be a perfect fix for all, but if we keep just a few of you guys happy...

I actually enjoyed the mag. Was a nice mix up. I use to buy both mags, now just need to buy one.

Nice work troops.

Very sad to see the print version go.

Unfortunately Atomic MPC is dead. In six months to a year even the Atomic sections in PC &TA will disappear. Some sections may endure but the Atomic branding will go.

I've seen it happen too many times with other mags I used to buy. They get absorbed by the other rival mag and then disappear. The only reason they still appear as part of the other mag for a while is to get the readership to transfer.

I loved Atomic, it had a different outlook than other PC mags. Not just the gaming side, but the hardware, mods, and columns. Even the feature stories were unique, about computing subjects that other mags wouldn't ever publish. I get other PC mags but none were/are like Atomic. I won't be buying PC&AT.

Maybe the forum will endure but like the mag it will probably go as well. I've never used the forum anyway, hence my username.

R.I.P Atomic MPC

Edited by Onceoff

Unfortunately Atomic MPC is dead. In six months to a year even the Atomic sections in PC &TA will disappear. Some sections may endure but the Atomic branding will go.

I've seen it happen too many times with other mags I used to buy. They get absorbed by the other rival mag and then disappear. The only reason they still appear as part of the other mag for a while is to get the readership to transfer.

Ah, but they didn't have The Mighty David Hollingworth to champion them. That's Atomic's secret weapon. No matter that he's an editor on both mags, PCTA doesn't realise what's going to hit it in the future. Think of when a single infection grows to entirely consume its host.

Just like a zombie apocalypse. And we all know that zombies are cool.

While I'd like to think that, yeah, we can take over PCA... yeah. Even I admit that's not going to happen :)

But, Onceoff (and I really do hope that's not a literal representation, and that you do stick around to hear what I have to say), you need to understand that the it is THE SAME PEOPLE running the mag. I literally cannot express just how much I want to make this work. I want Atomic to become an ESSENTIAL part of PCA. I want the forums to continue; big, small, I don't care - if there are two people still talking on these forums (as long as one of them isn't Leonid), I want this place to exist FOR THEM.

And if it's the hardware and columns you want, well, issue 184 of the mag still has Ashton and Dan. It has case reviews, mouse and keyboard reviews, and even a bit of pontificating from me.

We're trying.

For you Dave, this is a paying job.

Everyone knows AtomicMPC was given a final lifeline by you bending over backwards and calling in serious favours. At the end of the day, you won't save it. You know it. I know it. It'll take just one more push to save costs by your bosses.

This forum is on limited time unless it can make more money than it's taking. Considering the entire media industry is fighting falling circulation, I assume there's only a certain amount of time PC&TA will entertain this forum, then they'll shut it down to save costs.

To be honest with you, while your valiant attempts to keep this site alive are admirable, they're futile. Community forums attached to and paid for corporate entities are on the way out. And with them, sometimes, the people who run them.

For you Dave, this is a paying job.

Everyone knows AtomicMPC was given a final lifeline by you bending over backwards and calling in serious favours. At the end of the day, you won't save it. You know it. I know it. It'll take just one more push to save costs by your bosses.

This forum is on limited time unless it can make more money than it's taking. Considering the entire media industry is fighting falling circulation, I assume there's only a certain amount of time PC&TA will entertain this forum, then they'll shut it down to save costs.

To be honest with you, while your valiant attempts to keep this site alive are admirable, they're futile. Community forums attached to and paid for corporate entities are on the way out. And with them, sometimes, the people who run them.

Leonid... Your words make me sad, but i cannot find myself disagreeing with anything you've said :(

Well, the thing is that the forum has never made money, not directly. In fact, one of the reasons I split the forum and site back in the last redesign was so we could keep ads away from the community.

But I thought then - still think, really - that you can't put a dollar value on this community, even in its much-reduced form. For one thing, since combining sites, PC&TA is now the biggest site in the Australian Haymarket network. Part of that's combining content, and the gaming/enthusiast stuff is doing very well for us. Another part is in the stats the forum generates. And all that helps us sell ads onto the main part of the site.

Having the forum also helps us in pitching for events; whether it's big stuff we do interstate, or little things in the office, the industry still thinks the Atomic forums are very powerful. Those events, too, bring in a good amount of money.

Every little bit helps.

However, I will add one thing. In the post you're replying too, Leonid, I end it by saying 'we're trying'. I really do mean that, but I'm also aware of that old Jedi saying - do, or do not. So, more than just trying, I'm going to do the best I can, with the time I have. Yeah, that's just my job and all, but after five years, and what can best be described as a love hate relationship a lot of the time, I'll be damned if I let it Atomic go without a fight.

Sure, it might be impossible, but that doesn't mean we should pull the plug just yet. But do you know we've only had 13 people cancel their subs? Now, I know keeping them is another challenge entirely; baby steps and all that. The amount of people I've had contact me about really liking the change, too, far outnumbers the few folks raging about it.

So far, this experiment is working.

(and no doubt I have just jinxed things fucking HORRENDOUSLY)

That's not what I'm alluding to Dave.

Whatever Atomic is, community wise, it represents a cost.

In the current print media landscape circulation is falling. Over the last year, Fairfax mastheads lost 1 in 7 readers, subs stayed constant. In that light I'm sure your subs are still going strong. How about off-the-shelf non-subscription sales? Dropping aren't they? You're printing less copies of the magazine and transitioning to a paid online model at some point?

In that light, how long will Atomic forums survive as a loss-making intangible benefit? At the end of the day, it is about profits and at a certain point, all these things you've listed, while admirable, will be outweighed.

You've already admitted they were going to close the forums and the magazine but you called in some serious favours.

Have you got more favours you can call on when they come knocking on doors to cost cut?

I've no doubt you'll keep trying. That's awesome. But without the "I'm trying" bit it's a foregone conclusion in the minds of many here.

Well, that's a matter of faith, I guess. You can take it all as a foregone conclusion, and move on, or... stick around. See what happens :)

As to favours, it's nothing to do with that. I was brought on to oversee Atomic's closure over a 12 month period. I made it last five years, and it's still here, even if it's in a different form. People listen to me because I'm damn good at my job, and these are the decisions they pay to make!

I guess we'll see whether my pessimism or your optimism wins out in the end...

But I'll be here.

I'm not about to declare my undying devotion - I've been through several online community collapses. I've thought I've seen the collapse coming, and instead it recovered strength a bit - then died right when people thought it was going to recover. I've been taken by surprise by everyone just spontaneously leaving. I've spontaneously left!

I will say, however, that I'm not planning to leave until there's an official death knell. For all that the place is a lot quieter now than it once was, those who do remain are still (mostly) the kind of people I prefer to hang out with.

I will say, however, that I'm not planning to leave until there's an official death knell. For all that the place is a lot quieter now than it once was, those who do remain are still (mostly) the kind of people I prefer to hang out with.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

In an odd sort of way, it's been a lot more harmonious since the population dive.

I intend to keep lurking until there is nothing left to lurk on. and I keep buying the magazine, even if it isn't quite what it was, growth and change roll hand in hand.

Yeah not sure if I'll be resubbing to PCTA, it was always a sometimes mag for me as I'm not interested in most of what is normally in it and since I'm so active in reading the Atomic articles posted on the site I'm just not seeing it worth resubbing.

That's entirely fair - though we are looking at finding some pretty good re-sub incentives :)

Oh, and with regards to the site and the mag, do you feel that way even though all reviews/features go into the mag first?

That's entirely fair - though we are looking at finding some pretty good re-sub incentives :)

Oh, and with regards to the site and the mag, do you feel that way even though all reviews/features go into the mag first?

well a re-sub incentive might get me...I'm a sucker for such things.....I did get a letter in the mail saying my sub was up in May I think.

It really doesn't bother me that the reviews/features are in the mag first and then the site later. I don't read many other tech/game review sites (if I do it's fairly rare).

If something is in a mag that interests me I will buy the mag and read just that article.

I used to keep up on reading a bunch of tech/game sites but it was just information overload!

I totally get you - that shift is something everyone's feeling.

Main thing that keeps me reading Atomic/the site/forums is the community and being able to interact with the staff.

I've voiced it before, but if anyone DID want to get the forums big again, the main trick is the POTM.

Bloody 1/4 page, of one big prize, just once, and make it clear how someone won that.

People are suckers for free things.

My view is

FREE THIS MONTH!

<Picture of a Gaming mouse>

<and maybe a GPU, if affordable>

TO THE POST OF THE MONTH

By: ROBZY! (ha!)

LINK!

Be yourself, and contribute to the fun online for you chance to get free stuff!

Since PCTA has no actual forum, hopefully there'd be no toes to step on to do something like that.