Dasa

A driver update to reduce Radeon frame times

not sure what to say other than i found it a interesting read

http://techreport.com/review/24218/a-drive...eon-frame-times

We asked Mr. Dodd whether the changes included in this beta driver would impact performance generally in DirectX 9 applications or only in the three DX9-based games we tested. We also inquired about whether the previously mentioned buffer size tweak for Borderlands 2 was included. Here's his answer:

Basically the fix was different per application (for the DX9 applications) – each fix involved tweaking various driver parameters. In the case of Borderlands 2, yes it did involve tweaking the buffer size.

So what we have in Cat 13.2 is a series of targeted tweaks that appear to work quite well for the games in question. However, Dodd says additional improvements are coming down the pike, including a rewrite of the software memory manager for GPUs based on the Graphics Core Next architecture that should bring a more general improvement:

The driver does not yet contain the new video memory manager. Our intention is release a new driver in a few weeks, which does include the new Video memory manager, which will help resolve latency issues for DX11/DX10 applications.

Up until this point we had mostly assumed that there were occasional flickers in frame rate, but we had thought these were related to the fact that modern games mostly have streaming architectures and limitations of scheduling in the OS. We definitely will start regular measurements to ensure we track improvements, and stop regressions. Long term, we want to work with game developers and Microsoft to ensure these kinds of latency issues don't keep cropping up.

That's exactly the sort

In fact, at CES last week, I was discussing the latest developments with Nvidia's Tom Petersen, and he told me there was one question I failed to ask in my investigation of Radeon-versus-GeForce frame latencies: why did Nvidia do so well? Turns out, he said, Nvidia has started engineering its drivers with an eye toward smooth and consistent frame rendering and delivery. I believe that effort began at some point during the Fermi generation of GPUs, so roughly two years ago, max. Clearly, that focus paid dividends in our comparison last month of the GTX 660 Ti and the Radeon HD 7950.

Interesting but I do think that overall, it'll be great if they can keep this up for all titles. Probably the reason why they've moved from monthly to just whenever they need a big update.

However, Dodd says additional improvements are coming down the pike, including a rewrite of the software memory manager for GPUs based on the Graphics Core Next architecture that should bring a more general improvement

I remember reading something about this GCN issue a while ago. Seems the AMD driver engineers adapted the old VLIWx code to work with GCN, rather than starting from scratch to save time. The downside of this was that it mean things like this could hapen, with everything not running at 100%. It will be interesting to see how all the new GCN cards perform once they release "properly optimized" drivers

BTW, tried the new 13.2 Beta 3 drivers and there is a lot of improvements. In Mass Effect 2 with Texmod modifications, places where I struggled in frames were suddenly smooth now. Seems that the driver team is slowly starting to get a handle on the newer GCN architecture.

Now if only they'd fix overdrive's underclock on multi monitors, I wouoldnt be going NVIDIA for my next cards.

It sickens me that a company can focus on 'new problems' when the oldest ones, which are an easy fix (as you can do it yourself temporarily, it just reverts at reboot), continue 4 years after they were initially reported.

Now if only they'd fix overdrive's underclock on multi monitors, I wouoldnt be going NVIDIA for my next cards.

It sickens me that a company can focus on 'new problems' when the oldest ones, which are an easy fix (as you can do it yourself temporarily, it just reverts at reboot), continue 4 years after they were initially reported.

two 7970 running 3 monitors flawlessly here

one card powers down when i switch back to one monitor with a hotkey

there is some reports of problems with the 5#00 series not sure if its across all cards with new drivers but if it is the new drivers and not something on your end then using old drives from back around of the 5#00 time should fix it

any beta's for linux? i am running a 8800 gt for a few weeks, but only because my 4870 wouldn't run the amd drivers in ubuntu 12.10.

Nice link, wasn't aware of this but have noticed some weird stuttering at times while playing games without framerate dropping. Hoping this fix comes out; looks like 13.2 never got released as anything other than beta, so fingers crossed 13.3 releases soon.

Been following this problem for a while, primarily because I notice the uneven stutter on my 6990 some times. Is also why I force on vsync if I can to try and curb the issue.

Unfortunately it seems they may only be focusing on the 7 series for these driver improvements.

At the very least I hope these work their way into crossfire setup improvements in the their latest gen gear.

looks like 13.2 never got released as anything other than beta, so fingers crossed 13.3 releases soon.

AMD have moved away from monthly releases. More like Nvidia now in that they'll come out when they're good and ready or as necessary.

They're bringing out HEAPS of betas these days, much like Nvidia, but they rarely fix much these days, just adding new support etc.

the problem for the GCN based cards, is that they are using the same memory management code from VILW4/5 days, and while it works on GCN, its far from optimal, hence the large gains AMD was getting for 7k series from alot of the driver releases, id imagine rewriting the memory management section of code for GCN would be a massive undertaking, and since VILW4/5 arch gpus are quickly approaching EOL support, it would make sense from their management to focus on getting GCN based cards into the best possible shape, as its where the company is focusing on integrating GCN into their APU's for their "hybrid computing vision", if the makes sense?

but on the flip side, I dont like their priority's in regards to bugfixing either, 4years and no fix for a bug is disappointing.

Looks promising going by the reviews. Hopefully they can keep this up and continue to provide better stable drivers in future updates.

Installed these, now UVD works in fullscreen flash videos again (beta 13.6 broke this, required fiddling with catalyst settings while fullscreen was open to get it to kick in).

Haven't played anything to notice a difference elsewhere.

For those that haven't been following, beta 13.10 drivers are out!

Looks like they are focusing on quality at this stage and haven't pushed out the official 13.8 drivers

The 13.10 betas seem pretty good, I might check out tombraider and see if the microstutter from that is still as bad as it was when I first played through it...Almost ruined my experience.

Problem with the 13.10 beta is that it's causing my system to lock up easily. I've had no troubles with Saints Row the Third on the 13.8 beta 2 whilst 13.10 beta causes massive lockups. Probably will try again and see...

Problem with the 13.10 beta is that it's causing my system to lock up easily. I've had no troubles with Saints Row the Third on the 13.8 beta 2 whilst 13.10 beta causes massive lockups. Probably will try again and see...

I'm having lock ups occasionally as well, but only in Garry's Mod so far...

The official 13.9 drivers have just been released for people that are interested.

I'm not really sure how it compares to 13.10 beta drivers.

I only have a single GPU and it seems fine so far. Not so sure about Crossfire setups though.

Never mind, just read that the 13.9 driver do not contain support for Crossfire frame pacing and recent crossfire optimizations fixes.

So people are better off sticking with the 13.10 beta drivers (unless you have problems of course).

This issue and tearing has put me off AMD graphics.

Edited by fajw