Flouncy

War Thunder

Logged in this morning to find I have 60 days free premium. Some other players got that and/or 1700 free gold. Others got nothing.

All a bit of a mystery...

Worth logging in to check!

From what I can ascertain it is either compensation for being kicked out of the game during the patch update or it is a mistake or something else.

If it was compo they gave out way to much considering previous compensation payouts in the past and it is not a very good way to keep the community on side since only some people got it and others didn't.

Oh and no, i didn't get anything at all and yes, I am a bit miffed by this.

Not a good look for Gaijin especially when people have received free stuff and then an admin states the following,

No, You are wrong.

There was no free stuff given, if there would be any such thing it would have been announced

Source, http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/top...stuff/?p=417786

Upon further sleuthing, it appears to be weighted toward fools like me who have spent far too much real money in the game.

Classic bait and trap, reward, then trap again, as I now have to spend gold to buy slots for MAH SEXEH NEW JETS.

e: because I don't want to early-retire sexeh prop planes to make room.

I has four jets.

Edited by Flouncy

A bit different from my usual commercial flying in FS2004 but Flukey is now apart of War Thunder.....

Just downloading the 5 gig and will probably have a couple of offline runs to get used to it (using a joystick) but look forward to the online flying.....

Cool man.

You get a free amount of gold, 250 I think, when you start, but hang on to that for now, you'll want to use it to train crews but not til you get a nicer tier 3-4 plane and its worthwhile.

There's a lot to figure out at first so shoot any questions. The UI is apparently about to be overhauled in the next big patch, it's sometimes hard to figure out what's where.

Play a bit of arcade. Russian tier 1 planes are the best.

Where your plane sits at the bottom of the screen is a crew slot and that crew remains there in that slot even when you buy a new plane and put it there, and they carry over some skills. So. If you have a crew with gunner skills then make that slot one you use for attack planes/bombers, otherwise it's a waste of crew training.

And turn off automatic repair (spanner, bottom left). Each plane has a few free repairs, but when that runs out you must pay XP to repair it aftre a battle (if damaged). Or wait til it repairs over time - which is what you should do. Let it repair by itself over time (it'll just be an hour or two at the most for low tier), and play other planes til then, otherwise the expensive cost is automatically deducted from your XP immediately after the battle and you'll never bank enough XP to get anywhere.

Make sure you train your ground crew to the same level as your plane or else it takes a bit longer - this is probably the highest priority for spending training XP when you start.

Also cool stuff here all the time: http://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/

Bit off topic but thought a good place to post is that National Geo for those with foxtel are running their "Heroes of the sky" series atm (if you miss any of it go to Nat Geo 2 in about an hour).

What's your game name? There's already some fella called Flukey. And I don't think it's you.

Heroes of the Sky is back to back all arvo! Sweet!

What's your game name? There's already some fella called Flukey. And I don't think it's you.

Heroes of the Sky is back to back all arvo! Sweet!

Im Flukey80258

So - planes! You can only test fly a plane if you are equal or greater than its tier and own the plane before it. Bit rough that. Though you can fly the single player missions and they are all based around set planes so that's a good way to test higher tier stuff.

Some tips for early tier stuff:

The first 3 Russian fighters are a great way to start. The I15 is nice, the I-153 is good and so is the I-16. Then the level 3 Lagg 3 is ridiculously good and easily the best fighter at that tier, as well as being the best first monoplane fighter. They're all in the same tree and is what I'd recommend to get a good workhorse fleet going on.

US: P40 (lvl 4) is really nice. The A20 then B25 light bombers are huge fun and top XP earners.

Germany: Any 109, all incredible. You'll fall in love with the first one, the level 6 E-3.

Brits: the far left tree is best at first. Spits are rubbish until the IX. Hurricans are nice and the early Typhoon is a beast.

Japs: All shit. The Zeros are nice to fly but the guns are rubbish - though in arcade with everlasting ammo it's a weapon.

Premium planes cost gold = real money - but the big thing is that they can be flown no matter what level you are, and they have huge XP bonuses. The German premium D13 is absolutely without question the best prop plane in the entire game, if you choose to spend on the D13 starter pack you won't regret it, plus you get some premium days with any pack, which means double the XP earned for everything in any plane.

They have promos and events on all the time with various discounts and bonuses. Win 5 games tonight/tomorrow (I think) and get 200 free gold.

Edited by Flouncy

Thx Flouncy,

Starting to get the hang of things and continue to learn various controls and tactics...

Out of the Bi planes Im finding the British fury and Nimrods to be terrible, but do find it easier with the Russian and jap bi planes.

Do you need to participate in each air force to unlock that groups specific planes? ie compete as the British to unlock the hurricanes etc etc

Yep. You have an overall level which is mostly meaningless, and its the country rank that you need to build up to access their planes.

Remember too there are 3 different flight models, and the maps for HB and FRB are different to arcade, so check it all out. Msg me in game (speech bubble top right) if any Q's.

Remember too there are 3 different flight models, and the maps for HB and FRB are different to arcade, so check it all out. Msg me in game (speech bubble top right) if any Q's.

Thx for all your advise flouncy, really appreciate it :)

Im thinking of trying out historical battles tonight but would it be wise to continue to battle arcade to gain better acft or are the historical battles against your own class/level with the same acft?

HB (Historical Battles) matchmakes you and is generally good at that though you will see higher tiers in if it's relatively quiet and they need to fill missions up.

HB is a better XP earner than Arcade. You'll shoot far less stuff but get much more XP.

The gameplay is totally different and better. You have to take off and fly to the objective. You'll need to be smarter with tactics too.

People will tell you to climb climb climb after takeoff, and that's generally true. Altitude is just stored energy that can be translated into speed by diving - but remember to to get back up a bit again after diving. Planes going low and slow obviously can't dive any more so building up speed is tough - and those are the targets for boom and zoom tactics.

Stay in the pack, and don't race off ahead of everyone when the mission starts.

Look for stragglers on the enemy side, or planes that are so involved in whoever they're chasing that they'll be oblivious to you coming up behind them.

There's no lead indicator in HB, and getting a feel for where to aim ahead is the hardest thing to master. It varies by plane and gun type, your speed, the target's speed.

In the screen you get just before entering a mission there's a convergence setting. Set it at 300, and make sure you don't open fire at much more than 400, that's wasting ammo.Planes with guns in the nose obviously don't need to worry about a convergence setting, but still set it at 3 or 400 because the reticule still calculates for drop, which is handy.

Landing rearms and refuels and repairs. If you live long enough to manage that :} Spending crew XP on rearm time speeds that up otherwise you have to wait about a minute.

If you're in a fighter you'll be expected to fight. 'Lawnmowers' or ;Grasshoppers' are fighters who just stay low and hit AAA and artillery as they farm, XP, and that's frowned upon. Let teh attack planes and bombers do that, your job is to defend them and kill other fighters. It's ok to score a few ground kills just don't make it all you do.

You get HEAPS more XP for air kills anyway.

Edited by Flouncy

thx for the advise Flouncy

Edit - Well I got my first HB kill on my first run LOL

Edited by flukey

Hey flukey.

I don't know how much you know about aerial combat but I will point you towards the Dicta Boelcke written by WW1 German Ace Oswald Boelcke.

His fundamentals of air combat are still taught and practised by air forces today.

Also, congrats on your first HB kill.

Thanks for the info Mohawk..

I'm no ACE but I know enough (history, discovery and Nat Geo are wonderful stations to have amongst the foxtel package LOL), But I'll have a ready anyway :)

So Flouncy I guess I have you to blame now as I'm hooked LOL

Ha. Glad you're liking it mate. Spread the word! Not enough people know about this incredible game.

Also, maybe take a look at FaceTrackNoIR - just like TrackIR but uses a webcam so is free.

Just discovered the UFO OP US F2A-3.

Get it Flukes. I's level 2 and an absolute cracker. Flies incredibly well, forgiving, ultra manoevreable and chuckable and fast, and with decent guns too. The A1 model is as good bar the guns not as punchy. Totally the best low tier plane in the game by miles and can take it to baddies even at top levels.

Also, the tier 5 A20 is a fucken deathstar. Light bomber but flies like a jet, toughest plane in the game, bombs and rear guns. I fly in and bomb shit then spend the rest of the sesh hunting anything that gets in my way or speeding away if there's trouble.

And FsA can do almost 700kph in a shallow dive with no shake or risk of losing wings. Man it's sweet. get in and exploit before they patch it.

e: just discovered it's not super tough. On the plus it still flies nicely even with heaps of damage, but it gets hurt easily. Stay clear of tail gunners and just use it to mop up dumb fighters.

Edited by Flouncy

LOL Flouncy. The F2A-3 Buffalo is my most played plane in HB's.

It is a very stable gun platform that is great for strafing ground targets and then turning around and dogfighting.

Heh. I only just discovered its loveliness. Its been sitting in the hanger in storage unflown for months. Only pity is how quickly it'll hit XP max...

Also to reiterate - the A20 is a joyous death machine. Outruns fighters, kills fighters, is a bomber destroyer and a bomber. Climbs like a missile. With 50 cal turrets. And just soaks up damage forever.

Picked up a Wirraway last night with the last of my free golden eagles since I had exactly 210 left.

Not a bad little attacker especially at tier 1.

Played 4 HB's with it, 2 on the Korea map and 2 on the Ruhr and won 3 of them.

I don't have one but it's pretty well regarded.

And I bloody love the Korea map. It's getting much more rotation in low-mid tiers now, so over Berlin and Ruhr. Such a fun map.

The worst thing about Korea is how far away your base is so because of that when I take off, I actually land straight away to pump up the XP a little in case I never make it back.