Master_Scythe

Cant we just block koi8-r ?

Isnt there a way on IPB to block the koi8-r character set?

Assuming its an SQL back end, it shouldnt be too hard to make it auto delete any posts it finds in cyrillic.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Assuming its an SQL back end, it shouldnt be too hard to make it auto delete any posts it finds in cyrillic.

thank you for finally putting all our thoughts into a tread. and having a name for the character set.

one other thing that could work, make the windows and tech talk topics need a post count of at least 2 to do access.

thank you for finally putting all our thoughts into a tread. and having a name for the character set.

one other thing that could work, make the windows and tech talk topics need a post count of at least 2 to do access.

You know it sounds logical ,but whats stopping them from targeting another topic? Also what happens if someone genuine wants to post on the forums who is a lurker.

first off, it stops some spam "seeping in" and taking ages to get noticed. any postless lurkers would just have to post somewhere else, e.g. troubleshooting.

You know it sounds logical ,but whats stopping them from targeting another topic? Also what happens if someone genuine wants to post on the forums who is a lurker.

Perhaps you missed the bot about

posts it finds in cyrillic.

There would not be many on here who can read Cyrllic so anyone posting in that language set on here is not exactly going to get a lot of help.

That 2 post count, if we're able to edit the 'not allowed' message is a great idea.

LURCH! RING THE HOLLINGWORTH BELL, WE HAVE SUGGESTIONS TO PUT BY HIM!

just make the blocked page something like "you need to post twice in The Green Room before you can use the tech sections, say hi and introduce yourself"

It wont stop the spam, but it will centralize it, making moderation easier.

I still say if its an SQL backend, throw a few IF statements around for any of the characters (typing) we don't want, and have them auto delete from the back end.

Edited by Master_Scythe

There are legitimate posts around in, AFAIK, Greek, Cyrillic and Hebrew character sets. Not entire posts, but, you know, people deliberately and specifically inserting them.

This all sounds like a neverending game of chase-the-tail.

then if a script is possible make it effective from a date onwards only.

But I recon the 2 post minimum is a good idea. Keep the 'spam' to one thread, and probably stop most of it that is targeting keywords like 'windows'.

change the windows forum to be about operating systems?

is there enough traffic to warrant the windows and the"other OS" forum?

or is that to just keep the bitch talk down.

this in on the idea that Windows is the target word.

Edited by meowkitty

That 2 post count, if we're able to edit the 'not allowed' message is a great idea.

just make the blocked page something like "you need to post twice in The Green Room before you can use the tech sections, say hi and introduce yourself"

It wont stop the spam, but it will centralize it, making moderation easier.

This made me LOL yesterday and since there still seems to be ' issues ' perhaps the idea could / should be tested.

It would give some peeps the perfect opportunity to welcome them, one and all.

Edited by eveln

and tell them to ignore Tak.

Apparently Thou Shalt NOT Ignore Takoma. Some people got a bit narky the last time I asked about it in the Green Room (not Tak, though, he thought it was still teh funnies). Edited by Zzozzach

I am seeing Japanese spam or is it Chinese? ,anyhow its a asian spam.

Posted Image

Apparently Thou Shalt NOT Ignore Takoma. Some people got a bit narky the last time I asked about it in the Green Room.

Heresy.

To the OP: There's all kinds of things if the mods/community could access code/resources the site uses.

We can't.

So that means we need dev time... :/

Realistically, since we know what its built on, cant we dev a solution, and then all the dev team needs is test and apply time?

I'm not skilled enough to do said dev in the first place, but it seems logical it'd work that way?

Why not just an IP block on Russia and former Soviet republics?

Far as I'm aware, I'm the only one who travels to Russia or it's republics here...?